Quantcast

(NBR) Has anyone ever takin' the train from SEA to PTL?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Thinking about going to PTL for the weekend for a little shopping with some chicks....

We thought taking the train would be a nice change, but I don't have a clue to were it drops you off in Portland. Is it easy to get around down there from the station?

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Oh yeah, I love the train for biking down there!

Its an extra $5 each way for your bike, and you can just roll it into the luggage car and the put it in a rack. I just throw on a big-arse backpack and ride to the station from my house.

The Portland station is near the Pearl district. P-town is really flat compared to Seattle, and the streets actually make sense. Its really easy getting around town on a bike, even with a big freerider and a 30 lb hiking pack.

Just buy your tickets as far ahead as you can. Its kind of like airplane tickets, they're cheaper if you can buy them 30 days out. With the price of gas right now its probably about a the cost as driving. Plus you can drink beer or sleep on the train. Ride yourself into a coma and you can still get home safe. I wonder if you can get a connection and ride the train right to hood river? That would be superpimp.

Chuckwagon

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Albany, OR
I used to ride the train from sea to pdx twice a month when I was in school at UW and my woman was in school at OSU. It was always a push gas vs. train but the not having to watch the road part overruled. These days, I'd guess the train might be cheaper??

..plus, cush seating, a mini bar, and a movie.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Not cheap, but much better than the bus if you can spare the extra hour to an hour and a half. I didn't know you could take your bike. That's cool. Tickets seem to sell really quick. Last time I planned to do it, I rented a car instead because they were sold out for 4 hours....