Quantcast

nbr: Need a car mechanics advice.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
I've had this car sitting in my driveway for about 3 years and it's been that long since it's been started. [Big ass buick] Can I just replace the battery and drive away or are there other things that I need to take care of? If ya'll can stop laughing at the "abondened car in yard thing" long enough to kick down some knowledge, I would appriciate it. :p Or if you know a website I should check out ....

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Try starting it with jumper cables first before you buy a battery that way you can see if it'll even give the car power and all that. Might want to stick some fresh gas into the carbs too to help get it running.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Just try and start it up. If it fires (and ran well before getting parked), I would then change all the fluids (engine, tranny, diff, brake), go over the brakes, and drain the tank.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Thanks for the tips. It's a 1988 Buick LaSabre if that means anything.
Cables will start it, but it dies immediatly, so I figure a new battery is in order. The gas concerns me. Can I just run the old gas through, or do I need to *cough* siphon the crap out befroe adding fresh stuff? From what I gather, the gas and fluids will be the largest issue, with electrical right behind. Thanks again :monkey: 's

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Cables will start it, but it dies immediatly, so I figure a new battery is in order. The gas concerns me. Can I just run the old gas through, or do I need to *cough* siphon the crap out befroe adding fresh stuff? From what I gather, the gas and fluids will be the largest issue, with electrical right behind. Thanks again :monkey: 's

If it were me? I would take the gas tank out and have it cleaned. But I am kinda anal about that stuff.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Use a chemical called Sta-Bil in the fuel tank. (If you can) get as much of the old gas out. This stuff goes thru and cleans out the entire fuel system. Then run some chemtool B-12 thru it to clean out the main jets/injection nozzles.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
In addition to what these guys said, check your fuel filter and lines...it might be a pain in the ass, but if your car is starting but dies it's either:
not enough fuel
Not enough battery
not enough air.

Check your air filter, if it's clogged replace it. It's possible that it is now an animals home. If you jump the car to start it, and it runs when connected, but as soon as you disconnect it, it's either the battery or the alternator. Your car should take a little while to die if it's the battery, rather than immediately. Add dry gas (or whatever these guys suggested) to help clear up any junk in the tank. Also, when you try starting it, give it some gas. Get the revs up for a few minutes and the engine may start to break in again and things will come to live. Checking the oil and other fluids is a good idea, but it shouldn't matter for starting it. Definately before driving it anywhere do a good fluid checkup/change.

Is it cold where you are? Cold starts are harder on cars that have been sitting for a while. an 88 should have fuel injection, and should be somewhat above silly tinkering (starter fluid).

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
BuddhaRoadkill said:
Cables will start it, but it dies immediatly...
Could be the battery. Could be the AC generator (alternator). Typically when the engine is operating, the generator is supplying the power to ignition. If the generator isn't supplying current, then the battery will until it goes flat.

A battery with dead cells may create enough resitance to prevent the generator current from passing through.

Does the car die when you remove the cables? Or does it crank up and then die before you've removed them? If the latter is the case, then I'd look for a fuel delivery problem as the previous monkeys have described.

edit: definitely check air supply as Sandwich described (Sorry. In my haste to be a know-it-all, I didn't read your whole post).

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
this is going to sound odd but...

CHECK FOR LIVING CREATURES. If it has truly been sitting for 3years, chances are something is living some where. When get the car started, you are gonna kill it, then there is gonna be some smelly issues.

Also I would recommend what everyone else has been saying. Pay special attention to fuel return hoses as well. If they feel dry rotted replace them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i just glanced at the title, and i thought it said pbr...definately a working on cars drink.

also check any vacuum lines or oil caps. It may sound silly and simple, but my audi would not idle when i accidently left the oil cap off. sure enough, i put it back on, and it sits at 700. If there's a leak somewhere, it could be killing it. again, try giving it some gas.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
all of the fluids being replaced is a good idea but the fuel is gonna be the main concern. gas these days days is oxygenated, this improves emissions and performance but it also causes the gas to foul quickly forming a white sludge anywhere the gas has been sitting and clogs up carburator jets.

i would first syphen the tank, then fill it with a few gallons of gas, spray the hell out of the carbs with carb cleaner inside (removing them first would be best and not much difficulty to ensure cleanliness)replace the fuel filter, then pick up some fuel system treatment and pour it in the tank. start the vehicle and let it run for a while. then take it for a drive and seriously get on the gas to blow out crap.

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
Make sure your brakes works! you might have to bleed them. last time i had a car stored for more than a year, i had to bleed the brakes... after i ran into the mailbox! :(

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Is it an older carborated car, or Fuel injected? If you are gonna drive it, do the plugs, plug wires, Distrib rotor and cap, Oil, Oil filter, mak sure the air filter is clean... Biggins sumed it up pretty well... Gas would aslo be my main concern on a car thats been sitting for a while.