Quantcast

NBR: Quads are fun.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I sold my Jeep and bought a little Yamaha Timberwolf 4X4 quad. so much fun, but my wrists and fore arms are sore as heck. Anyone else like these things? :drool: :drool: :drool:

We rode for about five hours yesterday.:drool: :drool: :drool:

J

JRB

splat said:
They do nothing turn pristene Single track into Fire roads
They actually are doing a nice job on some hidden trails in town, 2 miles from my house. The 4 x 4 trucks do nothing, but these guys are stomping the weeds down nicely. I mentioned building some stunts out there and they are cool with it, so I am thinking I like the quad guys around here. They don't go so fast and blast in the turns, so it's all good. I nearly ran them down on a descent the other day. Mostly because I am fast like thunder, more so than them being slow. :D

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have a dirtbike. Tired of the maint. though, and would like to trade it for a utility quad... They are alot of fun and can be put to good use.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
ummbikes said:
I sold my Jeep and bought a little Yamaha Timberwolf 4X4 quad. so much fun, but my wrists and fore arms are sore as heck. Anyone else like these things? :drool: :drool: :drool:

We rode for about five hours yesterday.:drool: :drool: :drool:
Where did you ride??

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
oly said:
Where did you ride??

Oh, I was just destroying some pristine single track...:blah:

Nah, my parents have some wooded land, we were cutting in some trails there. Plus we cut in a fire lane around my folks pasture.

I figure I'll ride it a bit in Cap, plus it will be great for doing trail work up there.

Splat a large amount of mountain bike areas in WA are on ORV lands. I assure you I'm quite fond of what little single track there is in my local riding area and have and will continue to be active in assuring its survival. Like it or not the moto crowd (at least where I live) are the primary stewards of the trails. They (we? me) pay a ORV fee that helps maintain state recreational lands. The horse/hiker folks hate mountain bikes as much as they do moto/4X4 people. I honestly don't get the haterade some mountain bike folks give the moto groups.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ummbikes, the problem (as usual) is one of access. kids (and adults) on 4x4s have trashed existing bike trails in MA. do a search on the NEMBA board for one thread in particular.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
BurlyShirley said:
I have a dirtbike. Tired of the maint. though, and would like to trade it for a utility quad... They are alot of fun and can be put to good use.
I have a utility quad... it is great for plowing and general tooling around... and for hauling tools in and out of trail building areas.

as for wrecking singletrack I think that has to be the fault of the rider being inconsiderate... not the quads...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
brungeman said:
as for wrecking singletrack I think that has to be the fault of the rider being inconsiderate... not the quads...
Totally agree, i know for a fact Rob here is NOT gonna poach any singletrack with his quad.

But at the same time i know where all the hate on quads is coming from, prime singletrack turns into freeway with just ONE poach pass from a quad.

Quads are about the worst of the worst when it comes to "singletrack" trail damage. If a stretch of singletrack allows quad access, it's no longer singletrack.

But utility wise, with a trailer, man the work time on a trail build would be significant. We were using them to take gravel off of a roof on a job this summer.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Wow guys, that really sucks. Access issues are a big bummer. We are lucky to have fewer access issues in WA than most, but as the King County (Seattle area) riders know there is much more desire for access than there is available land.

The solution is going to have to encompass all the users and I hope some moto guys are willing to work with the bikey crowd to find the answer.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Skookum said:
But utility wise, with a trailer, man the work time on a trail build would be significant. We were using them to take gravel off of a roof on a job this summer.
That is going to be one the quads jobs. I love Capitol Forest and this quadbikey will be great for hauling trash and rock up there.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
ummbikes said:
The solution is going to have to encompass all the users and I hope some moto guys are willing to work with the bikey crowd to find the answer.
i think the problem is kids mostly. Lake Sawyer gets hit from time to time, and the problem there is that when they don't make the corners they just spin thru cutting corners.

Again it's the great power the quad posseses in the wrong hands that we fear, not the responsible users.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Skookum said:
Again it's the great power the quad posseses in the wrong hands that we fear, not the responsible users.
Thank-you :)

Unfortunately this is no different than what happens in the mtn bike community at times. One person spooks a horse, poaches a hiking trail, or cuts down trees to build stunts and suddenly we're all labeled as "no good @#($*@)#$)@#&$&@#$$ mountain bikers/downhillers". The responsible quad and moto riders out there get a bad rap from the idiots who don't know what they're doing or those that think it's ok to ride anywhere they want.....but it's not all of us!!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would like a quad, but I bought a 4 stroke dirt bike instead because a lot of the trails I like to ride are narrow and I for one would like to keep them that way.

Browns Camp has defined bicycle/dirt bike/jeep trails. As much fun as a quad is, I think the bike is best. I might get my wife a small sport quad though so she can tool on the mild trails with me.

I agree though, the quad trails at browns camp get very large because of the size of the 500cc+ 4x4's that tear through there

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Velocity Girl said:
Thank-you :)
i'm only here to "try" to make sense.

That being said if Ummbikes makes one more reference to quads being related to bikeys i'm gonna have to do brodies in a dump truck thru his front yard.:monkey:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Skookum said:
i'm only here to "try" to make sense.

That being said if Ummbikes makes one more reference to quads being related to bikeys i'm gonna have to do brodies in a dump truck thru his front yard.:monkey:
It's just nice to know (and espcecially here in our area) that people understand we're not all the same.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Velocity Girl said:
It's just nice to know (and espcecially here in our area) that people understand we're not all the same.
Yah i'm with ya....

i personally don't use motors on the trail but i find it highly hypocritical for mt. bikers to want to stop others right to recreate. Especially considering many many trails came or were kept alive from dirt bike use.

But at the same time, moto users should not get overly sensitive on mt. bikers critisism, and not fall under a false belief that they don't do trail damage. They really do, even under regular responsible use. I'm up there on the trails and i see the deep ruts, the loose rocks, feel the dust in my eyes in the summer from the stirred up terra firma. And you know what, i don't like it, but it's fine as long as responsible groups are keeping on going out there doing what they can so everyone can share the trail.

My hope is that inevitably "mt. bikers" get a little access to underused National Parks, and be allowed to ride in Wilderness where it makes sense. But i'll probably be dead before that happens, in the meantime, the moto groups are good allies to a mt. biker advocate in many ways, and we should all embrace that, and solve problems working together whenever possible.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Skookum said:
<snip>
My hope is that inevitably "mt. bikers" get a little access to underused National Parks, and be allowed to ride in Wilderness where it makes sense. But i'll probably be dead before that happens, in the meantime, the moto groups are good allies to a mt. biker advocate in many ways, and we should all embrace that, and solve problems working together whenever possible.
I think Falls City is a perfect example of this today. There is a large group of riders who spend twice as much time working on new trails, maintaining existing trails, and providing things like rest areas with benches and bike racks as they do riding the trails.

It was a matter of getting an organized group to present the venture to the forestry service and work closely with them to keep the area ridable for all levels of non-motorized folks.

That same aproach is being taken to new areas with that as an example to allow bikes the freedom away from motos, horses, hikers, and such. I think that mixing groups isn't bad in some areas, but it's best for most areas to keep them seperate so they can own the area and maintain it. That way you avoid things like "quads damage single track" because they are kept off it and have somewhere else to ride.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
jimmydean said:
I think Falls City is a perfect example of this today. There is a large group of riders who spend twice as much time working on new trails, maintaining existing trails, and providing things like rest areas with benches and bike racks as they do riding the trails.

It was a matter of getting an organized group to present the venture to the forestry service and work closely with them to keep the area ridable for all levels of non-motorized folks.

That same aproach is being taken to new areas with that as an example to allow bikes the freedom away from motos, horses, hikers, and such. I think that mixing groups isn't bad in some areas, but it's best for most areas to keep them seperate so they can own the area and maintain it. That way you avoid things like "quads damage single track" because they are kept off it and have somewhere else to ride.
I agree, I'm no fan of the gravel super highways that pass for some trails in Capitol Forest. It would be best to have some oneway single track stuff, but getting new trails built doesn't seem to be DNR's agenda in the near future. The ORV trails need to be 48" wide (if my memory from the last DNR users group meetiing I went too) which makes them great for quads, okay for dirt bikes and boring for mountain bikes. If the opportunity for single track to be created or double track to be de-commisoned an allowed to become single track can occur I personally would fight for that.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Skookum said:
Oh yah and quads suck....:devil:
:blah: :blah: :blah:

Yea, that's one thing that none of us can deny is that we do cause damage out there. We all just create it to a different extent (and sometimes even us quads complain about the ruts left by mx bikes...lol!)

And I agree that I would love to get more mtb trails out ther, and ones that are mtb only (hikers ok, no horses though :p ) When riding my quad I'm thankful to have trails that I can do so, but when riding super sweet single track I'm also thankful that my "big bike" isn't allowed out there to muck it up :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
No moto no horsey open to bikey?

Not too many of those.:D Palisaides..... uhhhhh drawing a blank after that, and i know ALOT of trails....

Really though there are so many goods if you are willing to drive a few hours, user conflict is non-existant. The East Side of the mountains have way less uptight people, and i've often stopped and yapped with other trail users in the middle of nowhere. i really enjoy that.

Only on the West side of the Cascades near the city is where i run into people being jerks. Greenwater mostly, but so far so good at Middle Fork Snoqualmie. All the hikers were super freindly to my pleasant suprise.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Have you ever seen a horse hit a wall ride? Not very nice, let me tell you...

I just think that from a basic trail standpoint, multi-use trails are ok. But I like tech climbs on my moto, not so much on my DH bike. So it depends on the intended purpose of the area and trail. I also think as sports evolve, the trail has to evlove as well to meet the needs.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
I usually stay away from riding couches:p and stick to mx bikes, but they can be fun

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
yea I hate quads mucho. It always feels like you are gonna tip over around a turn and you can't lean into turns and shiza. fak quads :mad: