Quantcast

NBR Trip Report: Havasupai

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
If you live in the southwest you've undoubtedly heard of Havasupai. Havasu Canyon, a southern offshoot of the Grand Canyon, is owned by the Supai Tribe who allow limited, reserved access to the canyon and campsites.

My good friends Amber, Will, Toni, Jenny, and David, headed out from Phoenix at around 7pm Friday night. After stopping in Flagstaff for some food a couple hours of sleep we rolled into the trailhead parkinglot at about 4am Saturday morning. Equipped with our packs & headlamps we hit the trail at about 5am.

Amber previewing the canyon at dawn.

After hiking for a good 10 miles we got to camp near 11am. Yeah, 6 hours is a long-ass time to hike 10 miles but a couple members of our party are what we like to refer to as, city slickers. It's a fairly serious hike even without a 35+ pound pack. The hike itself began with a 2 mile, 2000 ft. drop into the canyon. The rest of the way meandered through the increasingly beautiful winding canyon corridor.

The Watchers

Arriving to camp, we were greeted with hands down the most amazing scenery I've found in Arizona. Swift running creeks and falls, blue, clear pools, and two monstrous falls.

Havasu Falls

Mooney Falls

After a night of cards, drinking, and a water boiling contest (of which I proudly won), we awoke fairly early on Sunday to do a nice 10 mile hike to Beaver Falls.

Into the bowls of the earth!

I've got a little Captain in me.

The first time I've successfully gotten that "soft water" effect!

The hike required 4, waist-level water crossings.

Tired and stiff as hell, we got up at 3 am to start hiking out Monday morning. Amber & I booked it and made it back in only 4 hours, 15 minutes. I suggest for anyone who backpacks, to plan this trip. It's a serious must-do and you won't be disappointed!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
You suck at teh Captain Pose!

Great pics though!!

PS. thanks for all the stickers!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I went there a few years ago with Boy Scouts. One of the most beautiful places on Earth and my second favorite swimming hole of all time.

Thanks for the photos.

The Ito

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MudGrrl said:
That's absolutely gorgeous.

I've just added another destination to my list as well.... never wanted to go to AZ before.
When you go visit, be sure to take a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Have dinner at the lodge up there. The view out the south windows in the dining room is beyond spectacular.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MudGrrl said:
That's absolutely gorgeous.

I've just added another destination to my list as well.... never wanted to go to AZ before.
the best thing (well, one of them) is that you bypass the hordes doing this route...true, you don't get the coffee table book panoramic views afforded @ grand canyon village, but you aren't stepping over random litter or screaming kids, or dodging doddering old folks to see them, either.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
the best thing (well, one of them) is that you bypass the hordes doing this route...true, you don't get the coffee table book panoramic views afforded @ grand canyon village, but you aren't stepping over random litter or screaming kids, or dodging doddering old folks to see them, either.
Visit the North Rim. There you can have the views *and* avoid the crowds. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Visit the North Rim. There you can have the views *and* avoid the crowds. :thumb:
that's true, but it's a hell of a lot easier/quicker to get to Havasupai than the north rim (assuming you are coming from the south, which most are).

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Thanks for the pics. I always meant to do this trip when we lived in AZ, but never got around to it. Now, I just have to put in on my 'before I die' list.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
SkaredShtles said:
narlus said:
that's true, but it's a hell of a lot easier/quicker to get to Havasupai than the north rim (assuming you are coming from the south, which most are).
Isn't Havasupai on the completely opposite side of the North Rim? Regardless of where you're coming from, there's no way that the NR is remotely on the way.

PS: The place is awesome and almost always requires reservations way in advance.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I read about that place just before I went to Arizona seeing those pics makes me wish I made it there...man that looks nice..that will gice me another reason to go back.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Well, there is a shuttle you can take that will haul your ass from the south rim to the north. Our next epic is going to be hiking rim-to-rim; South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch, North Kaibab to the north rim and take the shuttle back to our vehicle(s) at the south.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
macko said:
Well, there is a shuttle you can take that will haul your ass from the south rim to the north. Our next epic is going to be hiking rim-to-rim; South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch, North Kaibab to the north rim and take the shuttle back to our vehicle(s) at the south.
Shuttle? You should hike back. :think:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Well I'm all for it, but getting people to sign on for a 22 mile hike is a lot easier than talking them into a 44 mile hike. Not to mention, we're doing it one day w/o stopping (camping).