Quantcast

NBR.. Whats your favorite looking web site

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hey guys and girls

Sorry fot the non DH post, but I respect the opinions of the diverse grop here, and I need some inspiration.

What are your favorite web sites out there from a visual standpoint. Doesnt have to be bike related...

Just looking or something to spark an idea along.

Thanks

Dave

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Its neat, but its also got all the problems that pure flash sites have, ie. no favorites, can't just click back, can't save pics...

it also gets annoying to surf the 4th or 5th time.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Transcend said:
2 advanced is a pile of crap. Way to go bad navigation, bloat and lack up expandibility.
I definately wouldn't go that far, they are probably amongst the best in the biz with what they do. Its only bloated cause they are showcasing what they can do, its not designed for efficiency. Check the portfolio, some of thier stuff is just amazing. And fast.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
dropmachine.com said:
it also gets annoying to surf the 4th or 5th time.
This is why I don't like flash stuff or intros. If it's a site I go to on a semi-regular basis I don't want to wait or go thru extra clicks to get to where I want to be.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dropmachine.com said:
I definately wouldn't go that far, they are probably amongst the best in the biz with what they do. Its only bloated cause they are showcasing what they can do, its not designed for efficiency. Check the portfolio, some of thier stuff is just amazing. And fast.
Only problem is ALL of their sites are like that. I know a few of the guy who work at 2design (now 3-4 people). They have ford etc as clients, i curse them everytime i see or try and use one of their sites. The navigation is atrocious, every time. Very pretty indeed, but VERY hard to use.

I agree that their homepage is a showcase piece, but I can't for the life of me use it (at least from their past designs, which change almost monthly).

Flash is usually horrendous for anything. Intros are lame, animated unuseable flash menus are lame, bad navigation is lame..

If i am buying a product, i just want to go to the site, get the info, and leave. I don't want to piss around and guess at what I am doing.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Well, I guess we're all biased but I think RM is one of the easiest to navigate, even if it's not that unique.

Velonews is good - most recent stuff at the top, then broken into categories, also arranged by dates. I know that's a news site, not a product site, but still.

I tend to agree that the flash sites are a real pain in the ass. I don't how web designers convince people that stuff is cool. Like the fox site, for one example. I have a pretty fast dsl connection and still hate waiting for that crap to load up.

I mean, you make bike parts - don't try to impress me with fancy graphics and movie clips, that stuff does nothing for me. I'm not a gamer, so spare me. Impress me with your products. Just give me the info I want in an easy format. Have optional links to movies, 360 pics, etc., so people with more time or desire can look at that stuff if they want.

I also think a manufacturer's site should include exploded views of what they sell, with part numbers, along with maintenance and re-build articles. I know there are reasons not to but still, as a former mechanic and someone who is pretty good with a wrench, it drives me nuts when companies don't provide that stuff. The go-ride 888 article comes to mind as a great example. Good descriptions, helpful tips, and good pics. Helps eliminate the trial and error people end up needing if the manufacturer doesn't provide the 411.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Just an FYI guys, I am not looking for inspiration to make a site for bike parts or product navigation. This site (sites) is/ are more for service and technology things etc, but mostly just because I just want to see some interesting visual cues out there. Not sure what Im looking for but Ill know when I see it.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming!

Dave

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dw said:
Just an FYI guys, I am not looking for inspiration to make a site for bike parts or product navigation. This site (sites) is/ are more for service and technology things etc, but mostly just because I just want to see some interesting visual cues out there. Not sure what Im looking for but Ill know when I see it.

Dave
Even more to the point then - engineers probably don't want to be wowed with lame flash, they want to get their files and information and beat it.

I agree with OG - the fox site and many other like it are HORRID. In my opinion some of the best sites are news sites. http://www.cnn.com/ is pretty godd, altho they do tend to slam you with WAY too much info up front.

Easy to find what you want tho. Logo and nav left, main stories center, sub stories below, ads and info boxes right. Standard layout for the web..it works. Same as where the guages and radio are in a car..you just tend to know about where to find things. When designers attack..bad things happen!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
dw said:

Dave
From an visual pleasing standpoint I'm drawn to the Santa Cruz homepage, there are some functional things I don't like, but I love the color combo and the "ghostly" images when scrolling over the items.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dw said:

Dave
Dave, personally I don't see the web as an end in and of itself, rather it's a means to an end: providing information. When the web was new you could attract people just by having a cool website, regardless of the content. IMO that time is long over, and now it's all about content.

Based on what I've seen from you in the past, I expect your content to be high quality. Choose a format that delivers it well and with minimal fuss and you'll have a winner. Not sure what you mean by "visual cues" but bells and whistles are nothing but a distraction and turn me off quickly, especially if they slow it down.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
oly said:
not well enough..here are my reasons why (and yes, I do this for a living).

Sounds - worst thing ever for a webpage, usually scares the crap outt 99% of users.

Intro - useless waste of time and bandwidth.

The site design itself could have been achieved fairly easily through CSS. The site would then have been MUCH lighter bandwidth wise, and I wouldn't have to wait 15 seconds to load up certain sections (major detractor).

the look itself is pretty nice, but coudl have been achieved in other ways.

My vote for great design, use of flash and general ease of navigation is: http://www.2ksports.com/

Best use of flash ever are major ski hills that use it as an interactive trail map. Now THAT is what flash is designed for!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
dw said:
What are your favorite web sites out there from a visual standpoint. Doesnt have to be bike related...

Dave

:devil: I don't think I am allowed to post those kinds of site here. :think: :D

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Transcend said:
Only problem is ALL of their sites are like that. I know a few of the guy who work at 2design (now 3-4 people). They have ford etc as clients, i curse them everytime i see or try and use one of their sites. The navigation is atrocious, every time. Very pretty indeed, but VERY hard to use.

I agree that their homepage is a showcase piece, but I can't for the life of me use it (at least from their past designs, which change almost monthly).

Flash is usually horrendous for anything. Intros are lame, animated unuseable flash menus are lame, bad navigation is lame..

If i am buying a product, i just want to go to the site, get the info, and leave. I don't want to piss around and guess at what I am doing.
I find it dead easy.

And with the amount of internet you use, you should too.

:eek:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I went once and will never go back. The point is, you shouldn't have to FIGURE OUT what do it. It should be blatantly obvious.

edit: at least the latest has a nav bar..but having to title your nav bar is horrendous practice.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Oh gimme a break. Yeah it takes a while to load, but the navigation is about as straight forward as you can get. THeres a bloody nav bar, click it and go where you want. How hard is that?

Yeah its slow, but all that animation is gonna take time to load no matter what. I just wish it wasn't pure flash.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dropmachine.com said:
Oh gimme a break. Yeah it takes a while to load, but the navigation is about as straight forward as you can get. THeres a bloody nav bar, click it and go where you want. How hard is that?

Yeah its slow, but all that animation is gonna take time to load no matter what. I just wish it wasn't pure flash.
Read above. The new red one is better then the old blue one. Even then, as you say, it takes a minute to friggin load. And updating that thing will be a nightmare, or a zoo of text includes.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Transcend said:
Read above. The new red one is better then the old blue one. Even then, as you say, it takes a minute to friggin load. And updating that thing will be a nightmare, or a zoo of text includes.
takes about 10 seconds over here.

Maybe quebec's service installed your cables backwards :)

but anyways, their site is jsut for show of what is capable with flash. It's cool, and it has good visuals.

For a more "user friendly site" DW, check out: http://www.hjchelmets.com/

very easy to flow through.