Quantcast

~ NCS entry fees. another hit to the racer! ~ RANT ~

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
thank you. i knew you would get fired up.

i am skipping UT for sure.

i just saw snowmass and it is 55 and 50

i guess team big bear still likes to win the

WE ARE THE Greediest PROMOTION CO EVER award

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
someone please tell me wtf "olympic bobseld time trial" is doing on a MTB entry form?

????

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I honestly can't see any youngsers or folks who aren't employed fulltime w/ good jobs shelling out this kind of cash to race... I also can't see this direction in fees helping the sport of racing.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Wow...and still NO pro payout from them (only from 3rd party people, FOX SHOCKS, GO-Ride, etc...).
What a joke...and everyone laughs when I say the NCS series needs to just go away for a while and be reborn.
I would pull out my beat a dead horse cartoon, but I dont wanna piss anyone off.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I wonder where they blow all the money.... Anything more than 50 bones is a friggin ripoff being the prize money/loot. I'm in Europe and I'm doing the swiss cup races and it isn't even close to that kind of a ripoff. And you're in friggin Switzerland.... wtf.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It is not cheaper to race a World Cup DH then compete in a norba as a semi-pro! Way to go guys, way to go. Greedy bastards.

Stik: I don't think it's ever happenned...NOt since big bear got rid of it's mega awesome journalist buffet.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Cheaper to race a World Cup than an NCS!!! this is insanity...that would be like Mongoose charging bling kind of money for one of those new DH bikes-just robbery.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
sayndesyn said:
I wonder where they blow all the money.... Anything more than 50 bones is a friggin ripoff being the prize money/loot. I'm in Europe and I'm doing the swiss cup races and it isn't even close to that kind of a ripoff. And you're in friggin Switzerland.... wtf.
My very limited experience with Nationals at Mount Snow tells me that as a Sport or Expert rider the National Series is a waste in general. I used to get psyched up about doing well at races, but as soon as I tried Mount Snow that excitement got destroyed. At a local race you get a whole weekend of riding which is well worth the gas, lodging and entry fees (ask people who race Plattekill how much ride time you get despite a long lift line). With Mount Snow I just don't see it being worth all of those expenses, especially considering the usury that goes on at the local motels and lodges. I love riding my bike and the competition of racing but going to a Mount Snow National provides only one of the two.

This is of course my somewhat narrow opinion, so feel free to disagree.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Glad I decided to do mostly world cups this year....screw the NCS series..first time in 7 years I will not attend at least one.

I will however be at 3 WCs. The money saved from not hitting US national races (about $350 a weekend) will be worth it when I'm cruising the DH in Scotland! :thumb:

Lex: I 100% agree. At local races and canada cups you get at least 2 FULL days of practice and one pro only hour each day.

At world cups you get a friggin week of practice almost...for 4+ hours a day. No lineups, great courses, get treated professionally and they have a great atmosphere. The NCS races have had a toxic atmosphere the last few years. Lots of bitching and complaining, poorly laid out/constructed courses etc.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Things like this may seem small, but they end up being dealbreakers.
Let's be honest, National races have been going downhill for a while now.
No secret there. You seem to get less for you money every year, and now
they raise the entry fee to a ridiculous amount.
For me, I was debating on whether to hit up any Nationals out West, for the simple fact that Norba has not been putting on races worth the hassle of flying to IMO. So, they pretty much made up my mind for me. Thx.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
This is not cool. I was hoping to pay my own way this summer, working full time and racing on most weekends. It doesn't look too good now... Only one event per weekend, if that, unless someone else wants to pay for me.
Are there absolutely no outside sponsors interested in the NCS? I wouldn't mind riding in an event sponsored by a tobacco company or an alcohol company as long as the race fee would be significantly lower. Let's give Annheiser-Busch a call.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Let's get mountain biking in the X-games. It would ruin a lot of the character the sport has to offer, but then again, the sport seems to be ruining itself.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Lex said:
... considering the usury that goes on at the local motels and lodges...
I am assuming "usary" is a term comparable to being butt-raped?
One of the people from Round and Round (promoters of Sweitzer Mt, Crystal Mt., and other previuos northwest Nationals and the Snoqualmie WC) told me that they complained to the Sweitzer "resort" about insane pricing, like more than peak holiday winter rates. The resort called them back and told them their services would no longer be needed, they would promote the event themselves. And team big bear would handle the actual race orginization.
At the first Sweitzer national (3 years ago?) we booked our room in November, the day they anounced the Sweitzer location. We were quoted $120 a night. When we checked in they said $250 a night. We said no way and they eventually agreed to honor the $120.
I have been told that last year the rooms were closer to $400-$500 a night?
I will never go there again, National, local or winter.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i seem to alway bring bad news to this forum.

BUT, i want change and one of the first ways

to lets people know about how sour we all are

about how thing are being run it to make a stand

Park city if far enough in advance to do a boycott!

this was mentioned about mammoth but being a

national championship not many were willing to do it.

i say lets boycott deer valley NCS

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Duh guys, it's because they can't get their money from Big bear during the summer months. They had to raise it somewhere right?

That totally sucks. I loved BMX racing, was ubber cheap for a license and to race was way reasonable. This MTB racing and rapping you for racing DH and 4x is total BS. Hell even our little local race got raised $10 I think?. $45 to race a 90 second DH run. I dunno but this racing stuff just seems bogus. As fun as it is to race if there's no prizes it's almost not worth it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Spunger said:
Hell even our little local race got raised $10 I think?. $45 to race a 90 second DH run. I dunno but this racing stuff just seems bogus. As fun as it is to race if there's no prizes it's almost not worth it.
Dude, you actually get something for that race (unlike Norba B.S.). Pasta feed dinner, a Firestone beer voucher. But hey, you want to wank on it whatever, don't race. :nopity:

If you can make it down this year's course in 90 seconds I'll pay back your entry fee outta my own pocket.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'd love to do a race again that had food and crap. I did an XC race in norcal and they had a frikkin full spaghetti/salad/garlic bread post race meal (shasta classic).

That was awesome!

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
This is a copy of the E-mail I sent to Team Big Bear, I will post the reply when I get it:

I just checked the entry form for the Deer Valley NCS and was appalled to see an 85.00 entry for Pros and 75.00 for semi pros. I am guessing that this increase does NOT include a pro purse, if I am wrong please correct me. I am just curious, why the 30.00 increase in the pro entry? It seems that every season the price increases and What we get is less and less. Now we get 2 hours less practice on Fridays, what's next?
I have been racing the NCS for the past 10 years and have always considered this a great past-time, but in recent years I really have to question the direction, and legitimacy of the nations Premier Mountain Bike racing series.
I really urge you to re-think your pricing decision, or show all of us grass-roots racers why this price increase is necessary.
Sincerely,
J.P. Lutterloh

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Zark said:
Dude, you actually get something for that race (unlike Norba B.S.). Pasta feed dinner, a Firestone beer voucher. But hey, you want to wank on it whatever, don't race. :nopity:

If you can make it down this year's course in 90 seconds I'll pay back your entry fee outta my own pocket.
Well that's true, you get a beer and food for your $45, I guess that's alread more than most racers get for their fee's. I guess time wise I was looking at the Pro times LOL, ok....ok...no 90 second times then :)

Not wanking at all, just pointing out that the price did go up because of the Land Owner wanting some $$$? I don't think that's unfair given it's allowed on private property to begin with but what happens when a $10 increase isn't enough? You see what I mean? Raising a late fee is fine, that I'm for, but if it's the turn of raising fee's just to get to race it will eventually get out of hand somewhere. It's understandable for a party to raise the price if need be, but there's got to be a point for what's given right?

I'm not using our local stuff as a representation of what is going on but just pointing out that people to a point are greedy. Everyone wants more $$$, which is how everything is anyways in life, but like some are saying, hotel costs go up, gas goes up, licenses go up, and before you know it it's expensive to race.

$45 isn't much to race considering $10 of it is for the "land owner" and the rest basicly covers food and what not to feed everyone + the race. That's cheap compared to what alot pay to race.

It's just a rant, jeeze.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Well my plans to race a bunch this season are shot. After Us open at mtn creek and the massanutten race im registered for no more for me.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
trailhacker said:
I am assuming "usary" is a term comparable to being butt-raped?
One of the people from Round and Round (promoters of Sweitzer Mt, Crystal Mt., and other previuos northwest Nationals and the Snoqualmie WC) told me that they complained to the Sweitzer "resort" about insane pricing, like more than peak holiday winter rates. The resort called them back and told them their services would no longer be needed, they would promote the event themselves. And team big bear would handle the actual race orginization.
At the first Sweitzer national (3 years ago?) we booked our room in November, the day they anounced the Sweitzer location. We were quoted $120 a night. When we checked in they said $250 a night. We said no way and they eventually agreed to honor the $120.
I have been told that last year the rooms were closer to $400-$500 a night?
I will never go there again, National, local or winter.
Yeah. Butt-raping is pretty accurate. I understand that the local businesses want to cash in on an event that will draw a lot of people, but charging double or triple the normal rate is rediculous. For what I spent for four nights (in an average place at best) at Mount Snow during the National I could have spent a week riding at Bromont. And I don't mean riding, camping out and eating Raman noodles. I mean riding, all day, everyday, staying at a nice motel/hotel, and eating at a restaurant every night. I could probably throw in a foray to Montreal while I'm at it. A trip like that would be money well spent. To hell with the National Series.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Lex said:
Yeah. Butt-raping is pretty accurate. I understand that the local businesses want to cash in on an event that will draw a lot of people, but charging double or triple the normal rate is rediculous. For what I spent for four nights (in an average place at best) at Mount Snow during the National I could have spent a week riding at Bromont. And I don't mean riding, camping out and eating Raman noodles. I mean riding, all day, everyday, staying at a nice motel/hotel, and eating at a restaurant every night. I could probably throw in a foray to Montreal while I'm at it. A trip like that would be money well spent. To hell with the National Series.
Let me know if you wanna plan the bromont thing :D

Also - the bromont canada cup is the 3rd weekend in may. Come one come all. The chateau bromont is a super nice place (5 star), so bring your wives and girlfriends and show them what racing SHOULD be like.

Hey - they even exceed E2 pro payout and give you about 16 hours of practice time on the mountain - all for $55 cnd.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Well, I decided ont to do any NORBA races months ago when I saw that the NORBA license went up. This just sets it in stone.

I plan on doing a lot of racing in Canada this year.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
buildyourown said:
Well, I decided ont to do any NORBA races months ago when I saw that the NORBA license went up. This just sets it in stone.

I plan on doing a lot of racing in Canada this year.
Just so you know, you will need a UCI license to race in Canada.

SCARY

Not long enough
hey,lets all start racing Baja 1000's.I hear the payout/ racing cost ratio is even better.The only way this will ever change is to have an alternate choice with a legitamate organization.I love racing,period.And the more of you that don't show up,the better the chances of me appearing to be fast by default.Butch might even "appear" to do well.Podiums by mediocrity in 2005!I'm not sure if I'm serious or not..?LONG LIVE THE BCD CALCULUS SERIES!Rise up!CARBON KING!!Rise U-U-U-U-UPP!!!!!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Transcend said:
Just so you know, you will need a UCI license to race in Canada.
yup and the price of that also went up. Last year I got my UCI license vis my privince, which was like $50 or $60 Canadian. This year it's like twice that :(

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
what a f*cking joke.

pro practice is from 8am to 10 am and friday and saturday, and 8am to 9am on race day.... all that money for two hour practice sessions at the ass crack of dawn? 5 hours of riding all weekend? you get almost twice that in one day of practice at a local race that costs half as much and has prize money... they are a bunch of idiots.

and they are still charging amatures lift fee's to practice on top of their entry every practice day except race day.

this is very sad indeed