Quantcast

NE Fall Ride Pics

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
A few pics from 2 rides in Conway, NH and Bradbury Mtn. Maine from the past 5 days. It was bone-dry on the trails in N Conway, so if anyone has plans to be there before any snow comes, bring your bike. :)

N. Conway:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
the only thing i dont like about riding in the fall is the leaves cover up the nice obstacles that cause you to go OTB :dancing:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
the only thing i dont like about riding in the fall is the leaves cover up the nice obstacles that cause you to go OTB
Yeah, it's definitely braile trail season. The rocky areas can be brutal this time of year. However, most of the trails in N Conway at the base of Cathedral all the way over to Mineral Site are pine forest, so it was leaf-free, just a bunch of pine needles. :cool:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I would love to ride there, especially at Conway. Are the trails pretty technical in general?
The Conway area has everything you could want in trails. Rocks, nasty roots and pretty much as big as the climbs get in the northeast. Plus you can do 4-5 hour rides into true back country. The White Mountains offer some great trails to ride. Awesome hiking, also.
More N Conway Pics

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
2 1/2 - 3 hrs prob. If you were to bother to make the drive, Pleasant Mtn in Rockport, or the Camden Snow Bowl are what you should hit. I'll remember to take some pics this weekend's ride.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
2 1/2 - 3 hrs prob. If you were to bother to make the drive, Pleasant Mtn in Rockport, or the Camden Snow Bowl are what you should hit. I'll remember to take some pics this weekend's ride.
Thanks for the info. :thumb:

Hey, have you ever ridden up at Sugarloaf? Obviously this season is probably over up there, I think they stated they were opening the mountain next week? Anyway, killer scenery and they have something like 50 miles of trails.

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
i hike up there like once a month with scouts, we even did a hike in the snow last weekend. do you think the AMC hiker folk would get pissed if i hiked/rode my bike up a mountain like pierce, eisenhower, or amaybe garfeild?

Arm On Fire

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Exeter, NH & Acton, MA
No riding allowed on the AT I believe, which kinda sucks, there have been a few hikes were riding the bike on the ridge line would be effen intense.

Oh well, just have to hike it I guess.....

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
yeah, i went an a bac packing trip in june, we went from nauman tentsites (right below the summit of pierce) to mount washington, and down to the cog railway. the whole hike was definately rideable, except for the mile or two on the summit cone of washington. i think it is legal to ride the cathedral ledge trails with a bike though.
new hampshire is awesome for bikeing, there are many x-c trails, then you can drive over to attitash for some killer dh.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
berkshire_rider said:
Thanks for the info. :thumb:

Hey, have you ever ridden up at Sugarloaf? Obviously this season is probably over up there, I think they stated they were opening the mountain next week? Anyway, killer scenery and they have something like 50 miles of trails.
I haven't ridden around Sugarloaf for a few years, but what I do remember riding was good. '96 was the last time I was there. Rode some power lines and singletrack around the base of the mtn. The ride left from here: http://www.ume.maine.edu/~MOC/moc-cabin.htm. I can't remember how to get there though.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
i think it is legal to ride the cathedral ledge trails with a bike though.
That's where the pics are from, the base of Cathedral and Whitehorse, past Hale's GC and over to the Mineral Site. A better route in this area requires a tough climb, but it's well worth it. You can go up over Whitehorse and down the backside onto Mineral Site and return along the base of the two. Some nice slickrock and views from the top of Whitehorse. :)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Steve, I think we've discussed this before, but I grew up about 10 mins. north of Bradbury Mtn. and used to hike there all the time in high-school. Allright, I say "hike", it was really just a cool pace to go hang out and smoke pot. :evil: :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
berkshire_rider said:
Yeah, it's definitely braile trail season. The rocky areas can be brutal this time of year. However, most of the trails in N Conway at the base of Cathedral all the way over to Mineral Site are pine forest, so it was leaf-free, just a bunch of pine needles. :cool:
LOL!! "braile trail season" I got owned on Sybil at SMBA the other day due to "braile trail season" :D

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Steve, I think we've discussed this before, but I grew up about 10 mins. north of Bradbury Mtn. and used to hike there all the time in high-school. Allright, I say "hike", it was really just a cool pace to go hang out and smoke pot.
Nice. I can picture you chilling at the top, burning one. :p

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
LOL!! "braile trail season" I got owned on Sybil at SMBA the other day due to "braile trail season"
I have that to look forward to on tomorrow's night ride at the Stables, but not sure if we will hit Sybil. Probably be some combination of Bee, Wall, 108, and maybe the Dam loop. It's pretty east to go OTB this time of year on the "hidden" obstacles. :evil:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
berkshire_rider said:
I have that to look forward to on tomorrow's night ride at the Stables, but not sure if we will hit Sybil. Probably be some combination of Bee, Wall, 108, and maybe the Dam loop. It's pretty east to go OTB this time of year on the "hidden" obstacles. :evil:
Have fun, the leaves are making really easy to go out of bounds right now....especially at night! Ask johnnyru! :blah: