Quantcast

NE1 catch the UFC special on Spike Sat night?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
:thumb: That so fuggin' ruled. The first fight was cool...the second fight was an epic for the ages...Ken Shamrock got put DOWN at age 41...I don't know where to begin. It was SO smart marketing-wise to pump up interest for the sport on something besides pay-per-view. I know so many people who stopped getting the PPV's who are now all amped again about getting the upcoming one.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
That fight between Bonnar and Griffin was completely off the hook. Simply the best MMA fight I have ever seen. I can't believe that two guys could stand there and dish out and take that kind of punishment. I'm glad they gave them both contacts they reall did deserve it.

I was disappointed in the first fight. Florian just didn't seem prepared or even like he cared. I would have rather seen Leben fight Sanchez.

Griffin is/was a cop in Athens, GA. Imagine the poor idiot that decided to assualt a police officer that day.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
DRB said:
That fight between Bonnar and Griffin was completely off the hook. Simply the best MMA fight I have ever seen. I can't believe that two guys could stand there and dish out and take that kind of punishment. I'm glad they gave them both contacts they reall did deserve it.
:stupid:

That was NUTS I haveve never liked violent sports, however one of my good friends is into Mixed Martial arts, so I started watching the show. The Bonnar v Griffin fight was CRAZY. How they exchanged blows like that and were still standing (and seemed to have their wits about them at the end) was AMAZING.

The UFC so did the right thing by awarding them both contracts, they both had good attitudes, sportmanship the entire show and backed that up with an incredible showdown. I am sure the UFC will make their money back 10 fold on the rematch.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Bonnar vs. Griffin was like the UFC equivalent of Hagler vs. Hearns. It was indeed the right thing to hook 'em both up, but I actually disagreed with the judges' decision. It was SO brutal, I almost was happy they didn't go to a 3-minute <ahem> sudden death. It would have been a shame for either one to be permanently disabled given that it looked like neither was going to yield a micron. Talk about an even match. It was like 118 rounds of bareknuckle fun with Gentleman Jim or somethin'!

DRB said:
Griffin is/was a cop in Athens, GA. Imagine the poor idiot that decided to assualt a police officer that day.
Who needs a tonfa and cuffs when you have fists and a chin like that! :blah:

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
There is a rumor going around that Griffen was in a match in GA and was put in a arm bar and broke his arm. He hid the damage and then knocked the guy out with his other arm. Both of thoseguys are pretty tough SOB's.

And the other match I don't think Kenny had a chance to beat Deigo. On the show he was lucky to beat Leben with a well placed elbow to get to the finals. Had the fight been allowed to continue I think Leben would have knocked Kenny out and made it to fight Deigo.

I don't know that any of the fighters on the UF show were as well rounded as Deigo and would probably lose to him 75% of the time. He seems like the total package except that he is not a very likeable guy.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
And in case you watched the Spike UFC show every week. Here are the results of the untelevised matches. all of these guys were on the show.

Swick knocked out Schoenaurer.

Hogar won unanimous decision over Southworth (yeah I know).

Koschek knocked out Sanford.

Leben knocked out Thacker.

Quarry knocked out Sincaid.

Karalexis knoced out Rafferty.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Hawkeye said:
I don't know that any of the fighters on the UF show were as well rounded as Deigo and would probably lose to him 75% of the time. He seems like the total package except that he is not a very likeable guy.

Swick knocked out Schoenaurer..
I agree with you about Diego. I think the not likable thing will work for him. However, I would've loved to see Swick drop to 185. I think that Swick would give Diego a run. He was even if not a bit ahead of Bonnar when he got caught in that arm bar in the semis. He almost choked him out with the guillotine. I realized then that Bonnar was a serious tough guy.

Hawkeye said:
Hogar won unanimous decision over Southworth (yeah I know).
Southworth was so overrated. That louden (insert VisionQuest references here) kid was beating him until that right left right combo.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
That was so effing rad!!!!!!!!!!!!! I watched that with my gf and a bunck of friends. K is a 2nd degree blackbelt. She predicted that nothing would happen for the first minute and it took 54 sec.
But yeah, I have never seen anything like that second fight. I called the double contract thing after the first round. That was a beating for the ages. I did think that the other guy won.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I appreciate honesty, and there is nothing more raw than an UFC match.

How many times have you heard from a ballplayer: "They played a good game, we gave 110% percentage, my teammates carried themselves" blah blah blah.

The thing about these matches is there is no need for BS. Like your opponent, hate your opponent, you are going into the ring and pummel him. That is how these guys live: got a problem, lets fight.

And afterwards, I have not seen that kind of honesty from Forrest and Stefan. They legitmately respected each other. Hell, they just pummelled each other literally, and left everything on the table.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I never really watched the UFC stuff. I know guys that are friends of Chuck Liddell? because he trains out in San Luis Obisbo and some older buddies went to high school with him. I always knew about the UFC and the fights but never really paid much attention to them. Well not after Spike did this UFC deal.

I watched it every night it came on. I love the different styles of fighting, how someone could take someone else out with a kick, hit, broken arm, there's like no rules short of headbutts and bitting, and hitting in the child making parts. It was good to see something for once NOT be a PPV event. Spike and the UFC has a new fan thanks to the good fights, good show, and especially good primetime night events to watch.

Who doesn't want to see a guy named Forrest win? :) That was by far the best fight I saw. The first fight with Deigo was sort of a joke. The ref stopped it WAY too friggen soon. The last one was kind of sad to see Ken Shamrock loose but the other guy was good.

Good stuff, about time cable TV has something good on!

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Spunger said:
I never really watched the UFC stuff. I know guys that are friends of Chuck Liddell? because he trains out in San Luis Obisbo and some older buddies went to high school with him. I always knew about the UFC and the fights but never really paid much attention to them. Well not after Spike did this UFC deal.

I watched it every night it came on. I love the different styles of fighting, how someone could take someone else out with a kick, hit, broken arm, there's like no rules short of headbutts and bitting, and hitting in the child making parts. It was good to see something for once NOT be a PPV event. Spike and the UFC has a new fan thanks to the good fights, good show, and especially good primetime night events to watch.

Who doesn't want to see a guy named Forrest win? :) That was by far the best fight I saw. The first fight with Deigo was sort of a joke. The ref stopped it WAY too friggen soon. The last one was kind of sad to see Ken Shamrock loose but the other guy was good.

Good stuff, about time cable TV has something good on!

I am a fan now, Dammit.

I was hopin that forrest would win because he seems menatlly unstable, which makes for a good fight. ;)

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
I thought all the fights were great. Bravo to the spike channel for showing the UFC match and the series. My hats off to Franklin for showing his respect to Shamrock its well deserved and they are both a class act.

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
hhaha when i first went to open this thread I thought it was going to be about the Race Face UFC...

guess i was wrong once again.