Quantcast

NE1 ever install a new starter on F250?

J

JRB

No how tos here, but if you can't change a started on a Powerstroke, you might want to find a cliff. :think:

J

JRB

rideit said:
Thanks for the elucidating insight, Loco. Once I get her started, I will find a cliff, and unlike you, I will then huck it successfully. :cool:
I was saying it's easy. Do you want the bolt sizes too??? I am sure you can do it.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
It's 3-4 bolts holding it to the tranny, a ground sandwiched under a bolt, then the positive connection. Crawl under your truck, look on both sides of the tranny near the bell housing, you should see it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It sounds like it might not actually be the starter. I am trying to get some diagnostic help. FWIW, what tools will I need if it IS the starter? I am not near the vehicle right now...

J

JRB

rideit said:
It sounds like it might not actually be the starter. I am trying to get some diagnostic help. FWIW, what tools will I need if it IS the starter? I am not near the vehicle right now...
I had trouble with voltage regulators on them that show starter symptoms.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Step one: take jumper cables, place one clamp on positive battery terminal.
Step two: take care not to ground the clamp opposite, trace the cables under the truck.
Step three: With the truck in park (or neutral if it's a 5spd) and the accessory on (for the fuel pump) touch the jumper cable to the positive terminal on the starter.

Be careful, the truck might start if the starter isn't dead. If that doesn't work, the starter is dead.

Or you could unbolt the starter and take it to Kragen/Vato Zone/etc and have them test it for you.