Quantcast

Near Accident

remus

Chimp
Nov 8, 2007
Hi all, I have started riding my mountian bike again after a few years and had to replace my rear tyre. The new rear tyre has some serious knobs on the outer edge, today I was approching a sloped curb at a sharp angle, doing about 30km/ph and expected to just ride over it, however... :( the front wheel which is still a road tyre went over fine, but the rear wheel refused to mount this sloped curb and started to slide instead, I was standing on the pegs at the time and tryed to put my right foot down, everything went wrong from here, my right foot was ripped out from under me, I fell onto the seat hard enough to tilt it down a bit and cause some pain, my left foot also lost the left peg, by some miracle I did not eat pavment.

Any suggestions how I should have handled the situation ?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
you took a hard turn fast?

Turn was on pavement, one tire was knobby?

don't do that :)

Match tires to riding conditions. If there's an anomaly to the conditions, take it slow.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Whether it is a root or a curb, anytime you take a sharp edge (or a round one) at an angle, you can slip over it.

The obvious answer is to jump over the curb, whether you go front wheel then back (my method) or clear it altogether in one jump.

Don't find the biggest curb (or rock or root) to practice on. Try a smaller one at low speed first.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Hi all, I have started riding my mountian bike again after a few years and had to replace my rear tyre. The new rear tyre has some serious knobs on the outer edge, today I was approching a sloped curb at a sharp angle, doing about 30km/ph and expected to just ride over it, however... :( the front wheel which is still a road tyre went over fine, but the rear wheel refused to mount this sloped curb and started to slide instead, I was standing on the pegs at the time and tryed to put my right foot down, everything went wrong from here, my right foot was ripped out from under me, I fell onto the seat hard enough to tilt it down a bit and cause some pain, my left foot also lost the left peg, by some miracle I did not eat pavment.

Any suggestions how I should have handled the situation ?
Wow, I don't know where to begin, when you say pegs do you mean pedals? or are you riding a bmx park bike? if you are talking about pedals , the best way to keep your feet on is to go with clipless pedals.
Bing a NooB you are going to biff from time to time, so get you to it ...Life is Pain....