Quantcast

Neck Brace Study

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I was debating whether or not to continue using a neck brace and started looking around to see if there are any new studies. Ran across this statistical analysis of a 10 year data set. Looking at the data you could theorize that riders with neck braces may be taking greater risks, but the fact that a lot of this data was collected in race settings, and the significant deltas in outcomes indicates to me that wearing a neck brace is good idea.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I bought a Leatt vest with integrated neck brace recently. It's time to join that crew.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
My collar bone disagrees with ever buying neck braces again. It's either being forced to look at your balls or breaking your bones.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
My collar bone disagrees with ever buying neck braces again. It's either being forced to look at your balls or breaking your bones.
Which one(s) did you own Norbar? I remember Leatt stating that they addressed the collarbone issue on the 5.5/6.5. I'm able to avoid the line of sight restriction issue by avoiding using a back protector and using crossover straps.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
a few years ago I adopted the "if I want my full face for this, I want my brace too". I wholly believe that enhanced protection contributes to higher risk tolerance.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Even if it were 100% true, I'd pick a clavicle fracture over a cervical cord transection any day of the week.
That's a false equivalent. Just because a brace breaks your collarbone doesn't mean you would have gotten a c-fracture without it.

My admittedly unscientific memory recalls a time when those things started showing up everywhere (I even bought one). Tons of friends started breaking their collarbones. Assuming the crash rate or method hadn't really changed, I'd know a lot more people with c-fractures before neck braces. That's not really the case.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's a false equivalent. Just because a brace breaks your collarbone doesn't mean you would have gotten a c-fracture without it.

My admittedly unscientific memory recalls a time when those things started showing up everywhere (I even bought one). Tons of friends started breaking their collarbones. Assuming the crash rate or method hadn't really changed, I'd know a lot more people with c-fractures before neck braces. That's not really the case.
As you note, your observations aren’t scientific. Thus the OP’s data, which are convincing to me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As you note, your observations aren’t scientific. Thus the OP’s data, which are convincing to me.
You really don't remember that though? Maybe you weren't hanging around a bunch of dh bike folks at the time but it was definitely a thing. I'm not saying they don't prevent what would otherwise be a serious neck injury. What I'm saying is that (at least the earlier designs) seemed to break a lot of collar bones that would have otherwise not even been an injury.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I remember that being a thing. Part of why I wound up with a 5.5 originally was because they redesigned it to mitigate that issue. That and it had more rear clearance that previous models.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Even if it were 100% true, I'd pick a clavicle fracture over a cervical cord transection any day of the week.
I'd too but after owning a few neck braces and testing a few others they are bad. They screw your body position and increase the risk of crashing because of that. I hope the new ones are better but those companies are actually SHIT at telling you what works. Will this brace work with body armor? If yes with what models? Does it work with all helmets? Does it work with people who have a different body position? I should not be forced to guess when buying protection that is here to supposedly save my life or my spine.

I get that spine safety is big but if I told you having a lobster attached to your balls would increase your cervical cord safety I doubt you would high five me and then shell out (lol wordplay) 500$ for the solution

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I will pay you $500 to have you attach a lobster to your balls, though. Open offer, yo.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You really don't remember that though? Maybe you weren't hanging around a bunch of dh bike folks at the time but it was definitely a thing. I'm not saying they don't prevent what would otherwise be a serious neck injury. What I'm saying is that (at least the earlier designs) seemed to break a lot of collar bones that would have otherwise not even been an injury.
Mine literally broke mine. It wasn't even up for discussion since I felt it. I the leverage and the moment my bone snapped on my brace. The problem with those braces was it was hard to make them stay in one specific place. They still moved a bit so you always traded a much higher risk of collar bone injury for a slightly lower risk of spine injury

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I will pay you $500 to have you attach a lobster to your balls, though. Open offer, yo.
You didn't specify it needs to be attached with its claws grabbing my balls so we have a deal. I will just powertape it to my balls for easy 500$. So do you require a live stream of the whole operation or is a picture enough?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

I 100% would not have gotten a c fracture on my crash. I fell on my side. A high speed crash but one that would otherwise result in no injuries, just a destroyed helmet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You didn't specify it needs to be attached with its claws grabbing my balls so we have a deal. I will just powertape it to my balls for easy 500$. So do you require a live stream of the whole operation or is a picture enough?
If there is no danger of a snip-snap followed by testes on the floor then there is no payment

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I crashed into a softish loam dirt bank in Whistler 2010 (fucken wet woodwork without chicken wire) wearing a Leatt Carbon and a D2. It wasn't really the fastest crash, but a bit of a fall onto my head. My helmet contacted the back wing of the Leatt which stopped my head rotating backwards and moving out of the way like it would normally do. I ended up breaking the carbon strut on the Leatt and my helmet visor but the "locking" of neck rotation transferred the force into my back where the brace finished. I ended up with compression fractures of the T1 and T3 vertebrae which went undiscovered for nearly 6 weeks (persistent mid-shoulder pain that just wouldn't go away).

I'm not convinced that I would have had any serious injuries without the brace on, but I'm also cautious in advising for or against the things (i'd guess a broken back is still better than a broken neck).

The main takeaway from the whole incident was the firm decision that riding woodwork, especially in the wet is for kooks and people who bring guitars to parties.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Not that’s i particularly care what the pros are doing, but they’re mostly not using them anymore, right?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If there is no danger of a snip-snap followed by testes on the floor then there is no payment
You're changing the rules mid game. I'm open to looking like an idiot for 500$ but I still find my balls useful so we'd have to bet enough I could afford reattachment procedures.

I crashed into a softish loam dirt bank in Whistler 2010 (fucken wet woodwork without chicken wire) wearing a Leatt Carbon and a D2. It wasn't really the fastest crash, but a bit of a fall onto my head. My helmet contacted the back wing of the Leatt which stopped my head rotating backwards and moving out of the way like it would normally do. I ended up breaking the carbon strut on the Leatt and my helmet visor but the "locking" of neck rotation transferred the force into my back where the brace finished. I ended up with compression fractures of the T1 and T3 vertebrae which went undiscovered for nearly 6 weeks (persistent mid-shoulder pain that just wouldn't go away).

I'm not convinced that I would have had any serious injuries without the brace on, but I'm also cautious in advising for or against the things (i'd guess a broken back is still better than a broken neck).

The main takeaway from the whole incident was the firm decision that riding woodwork, especially in the wet is for kooks and people who bring guitars to parties.
I've heard of a few cases of this. Did they adress it? I know one company specifically criticized other braces for it and made their own brace sit not on your backbone though then again you risk breaking something else for it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

I feel spinal injuries really suck and hope they can be eliminated from action sports and humanity in general sooner rather than later. There is an entire order of magnitude of injuries (and their respective impact on human life) which fall between breaking a collarbone and having a critical spinal injury. To even compare the two things is ridiculous.

I don't think think anyone should force anyone else to wear a brace, I've never even seen that happen.
I do think it's wrong to discourage others from wearing a brace based on the logic provided in this thread.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
(Edited: when I wrote it I knew what I meant, but point was missed)

Shit happens when we least expect it.

Do you wear a helmet every ride?

Why not a brace?

Knee guards? Elbow? A jersey? Riding shorts? A water bottle?
None of that matters, really.

I'm not telling you that you have to. But I'm an advocate for them.

Remember when they became popular? Tara Llanes was doing a dual slalom race and her wheel slid out on a turn iirc. Paralyzed from the waist down. No jumps, no drops, nothing even "technical" when it happened.

Last year I wrecked. Otb at 15mph (?). I endo'd and landed on my back. My hands were still on the bar. Torn rotator cuff and detached bicep. My brace had an inch of dirt on the back left side. I wasn't injured cause of the brace. Ie. no collar bone. But I ask myself what could have happened if I didn't have the brace on that day?

Last edited:

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
If I'm riding with a fullface, I ride with a neck brace. Still getting used to the sensation of riding with just a normal helmet on the trailbike though, after years of exclusively riding DH. It feels exposed.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
I've heard conflicting stories about how safe the proframes are. I'll look into it some more though. Season is almost over so it'll probably be an off-season purchase.

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
I have one from 1st gen leatt and stopped using from lack of compatibility with body armour and that it wast a little too much restrictive. But last weekend at a dh race I had and OTB frontflip crash that made me want to use ir again.

And to hijack the thread a little....:

Im about to pull the trigger on a leatt 5.5 that a have a good deal on. And to avoid any compatibility issues while running the leatt over the jersey I though about the leatt 3df airfit vest.
Anyone has any experience with this soft shell armours?? Its CE level 2 so It should protect the same as hardshell armour, but whats your experience with this type of armour?

thanks!