Quantcast

Neck injury prevention

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
Since a catastrophic neck injury has led to some serious debate here maybe discussing something that could potentially prevent it makes sense. My biggest fear in DH is ending up paralyzed - much more afraid of that than death actually. I did some research a couple of years ago to see what might be available from a prevention standpoint. I ended up buying one of these: http://www.evs-bmx.com/product_details.asp?ProductID=116&ProductSubcatID=24. This is the second generation product, the first one was much more bulky, but I used it for the 2003 season and I didn't really notice that I was wearing it after a while. The one linked to above is much more streamlined (and can be trimmed to provide a more custom fit). I used it throughout the 2004 season and really liked it. It does something similar to what the football neck rolls do for football players, with the added benefit of protecting your collar bone and neck when your head rolls too far forward, which is the leading cause of cervical spine injuries - head rolls forward, it straightens the natural curvature of your neck, an impact to the top of the head sends an axial load directly to your cervical vertebrae and breaks it. This is why "spearing" is no longer allowed in high school and college football, where the tackler drops his head to hit someone. His head comes to a complete stop upon impact, the cervical vertebrae are straightened and the momentum of the rest of his body puts too much axial/compression load on the neck. With the neck in the more naturally curved postion this same impact would be deflected from the neck in the form of ones head tilting back or to one side.

I've searched and can't find any product, including the above, for which claims are made that it can prevent cervical spine injuries (the football neck rolls only claim to prevent "stingers," a much different neck injury). Not sure if this if for liability reasons, but based on my understanding of how upper spine injuries occur (axial load on a straightened neck) this product seems to make all the sense in the world - it helps keep your head somewhat stabilized and would help prevent a dramatic compression of the neck by distributing the forces of compression into your shoulders and torso.

For $40, and maybe a little discomfort until you become accustom to wearing such a thing, it seems to make a ton of sense. Anyone else use one, or are there any orthopedic types that can chime in?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ask your orthopedic surgeon about this. i can't see how it would change the physics of an impact where you land on your head.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Toshi said:
ask your orthopedic surgeon about this. i can't see how it would change the physics of an impact where you land on your head.
yeah, It really wouldn't do much to change the mechnism of injury in a bike crash. It's basically the same thing Go-Kart races have to wear, alot of race car drives use them to help with neck strain also. It's very hard to protect someone from a neck injury because there are so many different ways to injure it.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
A lot of moto guys wear these, in fact Scott here has one for riding his KTM. It's probably not going to do much if you were to take a hit to your dome where the force was alligned exactly with your spine (ie you are inverted exactly upside down and fall straight), but with a fall where you hit the ground angled, it will help to move some the pressure off your neck and onto the pad. It shouldn't make things worse, anyway.

Jou

Monkey
May 16, 2004
Powell/Laramie, Wyoming
I wore one when i raced MX, had one wreck, which i don't remember, but busted collar bone, and nose. took the whole face out of my helmet, and the back side was splinters, but my neck felt fine for what its worth...

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
My first post must not have been too clear, as I was making a case for why it does change the mechanics of the impact on the neck. The collar prevents your head from tilting too far forward, thus helping maintain the natural curvature of the neck. The number one cause of cervical spinal injuries in sports is when the head is tilted forward and the impact is transmitted directly into the straightened neck vertabrae (see here for more info: http://www.helmethut.com/Dr.Ken3.html). The second thing it does is actually acts as a "shock absorber" for your neck. It makes contact with the bottom of your helmet and your traps/shoulders. Upon an impact to your head it transmits some of the force to those areas, eleviating the full impact directly downward on the neck.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Wallstreetbiker said:
My first post must not have been too clear, as I was making a case for why it does change the mechanics of the impact on the neck. The collar prevents your head from tilting too far forward, thus helping maintain the natural curvature of the neck. The number one cause of cervical spinal injuries in sports is when the head is tilted forward and the impact is transmitted directly into the straightened neck vertabrae (see here for more info: http://www.helmethut.com/Dr.Ken3.html). The second thing it does is actually acts as a "shock absorber" for your neck. It makes contact with the bottom of your helmet and your traps/shoulders. Upon an impact to your head it transmits some of the force to those areas, eleviating the full impact directly downward on the neck.

Biomechanically they couldn't hurt. There is nothing solid that would transfer the force into you clavicle and lead to an increas in risk to break that. I'm not sure how much it would help. I did a quick lit search and couldn't find any info related to the collar in any medical journals, I'll put a request in with our search service and see if they can find anything. I think most sport injury research related to neck injury has been done on football, which has a slightly different issues. There is also been a fair about in race car crashes, but then again your dealing with different mechs of injury.