Quantcast

Need a 30in Handlebar? Call Deity

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Sick. Do you know if it is at all close to the claimed weight? BTW, welcome to the wide bars club.

Edit: Do you have any other pics of your bike? From what I can see, the build looks really nice.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
That's awesome. The bars look so much wider from that angle. Did you buy two bars solely for fashion purposes?

JudgeDH

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
That's awesome. The bars look so much wider from that angle. Did you buy two bars solely for fashion purposes?
Nah... it's for my Mountain Cycle 9.5 that I run with the Fox 40. It's also black but it's on pieces. Just want to see how it will look...

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
why did you not just go and buy a set of Moto bars and cut them down? Or not cut them it you really like hitting your hands on stuff
Wide bars are just evolution. People are realizing that more leverage and high speed stability outweigh any issues fitting through trees. Seriously, your hands are only an inch closer to an object. Although it may not seem like it, your hands are rarely closer than 1" to trees or any tight openings. It all comes down to personal preference but I feel much more comfortable on my 29.5" bars than my 28" ones.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Seriously, your hands are only an inch closer to an object. Although it may not seem like it, your hands are rarely closer than 1" to trees or any tight openings. It all comes down to personal preference but I feel much more comfortable on my 29.5" bars than my 28" ones.
Except on trails where there are lines through trees that are 28.5" wide... there's a few like that up in the Pac Northwest. ;)

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay man the bars look sick, but geese if i ran those down here i would clip countless trees and be spending way to much time in the dirt instead of on my wheels. i know its evolution but its evolution that is unnecessary in my opinion.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Those bars look nice, but how wide will bars get and how long until this fad swings in the other direction and guys are riding 23" bars on their DH rigs because they're lighter and the narrowness lowers their coefficient of drag?! :)

I call it a fad because everyone is doing it. I personally always liked wide bars (bought my bars when 27-28" was as wide as you could get) and will continue to use them, but at 6'1" with wide shoulders and a 6'6" wingspan I have no complaints about 27-28" bars. Then again I'm 250 and muscling even my old 49 pound bike around was never really an issue. I guess you gotta go too far in order to find far enough right?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ahh, more wide bars. I got FSA 800's - wary about the clearance, but they feel incredible -- finally an appropriate stance/width for 6'8" people.

Burgtec still the lightest!! Yay! (<-- Please infer sarcasm.)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Thanks, now I have to decide to go with those or the fsa gravity lites
Those were my first choice, but they didn't seem to be in stock in the places I looked. Tried to order them or Sunline V1s from go-ride, but they were out of stock. Ordered the Deity bars last week.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
I like these bars for a couple reasons. I think 30 would be way to wide for me personally, but ive never run them so i cant say. I think it is a little bit of a fad but w/e, its cool that u have the option to run em wide. U could get them and cut them shorter and still have stylin low rise bars that are pretty light and tough. I would get a pair if i thought it was worth the 1/2 inch lower rise but i would just cut them eventually n e way. Im better off saving for a new rig altogether

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I think the FSA 800s feel excellent. They have made turning a lot more comfortable, especially once you start to drift. I'm using these bars for my all-mountain/DS bike and climbing is easier with the increased leverage, and the fact your chest is wider so breathing is easier. The majority of my riding has been on our little local hill with a lot of really tight trees, and I've yet to have an issue. You adapt quick.

Only downside is that now I can't comfortably ride bars any narrower, even 29.5s feel weird.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Or in the far east. There are spots on our trails that 27" bars will clip.
If the trails you ride are so tight that there are clearance issues with 27" bars, then chances are you never get up to speed to feel the benefits of a wide bar anyway. 30" bars are very much so an evolutionary step in my opinion, but they aren't the 'answer' for everyone and the places they ride.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I have a set of protaper at 28in and a set of older profile designs "tenacious-D's" at 28.5. I really like the protapers. I have hit my hands on some trees on some of the trails at plattekill with the protapers. I just think that a moto bike is 250-300 lbs and they run 32+ bars and that is just fine. I dont think that you need a 30in on a 45lbs bike. But it is personal preference. So go with what ever you like i guess

JudgeDH

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
After you use wide bars you'll understand their benefits at speed. On slow courses I might use the shorter bars but has to be very tight courses.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
If any one is interested the 2008 Sunline V1 745mm wide bars are in stock at performancebike.com

This seems to be the only place you can get them for now.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I'd definitely like to try out a set of the wide bars, but they may only be good for trails out west and on race courses. My Uzzi SLX has ProTapers that are 27" wide and my Socom has 28" wide Monkeylite's. It's hardly a difference but there is a spot on one of my local trails that I have to come to a stop and finagle my way through now. There are a few more places where wide flat pedals won't squeeze through rocks where my xc clipless pedals will.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Called up deity after go-ride told me it'd be afew months. Nice and quick shipping from them. Mounted them up last night and all is well! Hope they hold up at their weight. Definitely a good option if you're looking for wide bars and can't find anything. They seem to be just at their claimed width.