Quantcast

Need a favour from smart monkeys

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
I'm looking for a photo of a bike that was in MBA (I'm sorry) many years ago.

It used some sort of elastomer dampener to run about 9 inches of rear travel. The elastomer fitted into the pivot point on the seattube. A very simple looking and clean design.

If anyone can help me out with a name or even better a photo it would be greatly appreciated.

crofty

Last edited:

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Thats certainly the concept I was trying to track down. Thanks heaps for that.

Was afraid there might not be any photos but we'll see what other monkeys might be able to come up with, I have faith.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Brand was MSR i'm pretty sure. Can't find any web documentation.

www.freepatentsonline.com/5975550.html
I think this may have a connection ^^

If it happened before the internet records it - did it really happen? Are the years prior to the launch of the WWW going to be our dark ages?
I think it might have been GSR? they also had a bike with something like 14" of "supposed" rear travel....and one called the Convict...I think.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
There are two strong magnets, one located on the top link and another in the seat tower. The poles are aligned to create a repelling force, which works like a spring. The damping is handled by two torque converters in the large bearing pivot.

Oh yeah.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
What about the old school Trek elastomer mining donut suspension bike? Considered DH back then but not even close to 9", heh...

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
can someone attempt to explain to me how this works. I think i'm missing something?
:think:
I'm assuming it works similarly to how sway bars work on a car's suspension. It uses a twisting motion on a metal bar to provide suspension as opposed to a coil spring.

Courtesy of wikipedia.

EDIT" never mind, I was going off of the link to the patent thing posted earlier..

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
can someone attempt to explain to me how this works. I think i'm missing something?
:think:
It's a torsion spring made of steel or rubber that is rotated (twisted) rather than compressed.

They're pretty common, you probably have dozens of them in various things around your house:

Last edited: