Quantcast

Need a Freeride/Downhill bike

Dare2Dream

Chimp
Aug 25, 2005
Hi, I am thinking of getting a new bike, either freeride or downhill.
I am currently riding mostly on dirt roads and on a lot of hills. I ride in the woods some and my boyfriend and I are working on a trail since he wants to ride more in the woods and so do I. Anyway, I currently have a Trek 4500 with a brand new Marzocchi EXR Pro front suspension. Id like to get something better since I want to learn more jumping etc. I want to go out and have fun on my bike and not have to worry about having the frame break or something stupid like that.

Anyway, any suggestions? I really enjoy watching people jump off the dirt hills etc and would love to go all out and learn the stuff, but just can't on my Trek 4500. I really dont like the hard tail and I find it is not stable on the ground at all and jumps all over the place. Even riding down the rocks on the road makes it difficult since it slides everywhere and I have no control of the bike. My price range is up to $1500.00 CDN.

Tnx all.

Dare2Dream

Chimp
Aug 25, 2005
I checked out transitionbikes.com .... awesome bikes for sure!
Only problem, Im not from the states, Im fron Ont.Canada.... so i sent em an email to see what they can do for me. What the difference between the single ring and dual ring kit? what does that mean?

tnx.!

Dare2Dream ...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
My friend has a really nice Kona stinky for sale, there are specs in my signature. The price is killer. You can email him from the link that's also in my signature.

Kona is your best bet for an affordable and durable freeride rig.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
geminis, konas, dirtbags are all way out her range. Youre not gonna find a decent fr or especially dh bike for 1500 cdn. you might be able to find some okay shape used ones for that range. in which case you just want something single pivot with a simple fork.
________
LovelyWendie99

Last edited:

Dare2Dream

Chimp
Aug 25, 2005
I have 2 options of bikes from the local bike store in town ...
Specialized P2 or Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. Any good?

I want something to go downhill with also ....

Tnx all.

Dare2Dream

Chimp
Aug 25, 2005
I sent Transitionbikes.com and email to see whether or not they ship to Canada .... also I was asking a bout their other bike that go on the trail and on the pavement, I forget it name but it looks good....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Dare2Dream said:
Hi, I am thinking of getting a new bike, either freeride or downhill.
I am currently riding mostly on dirt roads and on a lot of hills. I ride in the woods some and my boyfriend and I are working on a trail since he wants to ride more in the woods and so do I. Anyway, I currently have a Trek 4500 with a brand new Marzocchi EXR Pro front suspension. Id like to get something better since I want to learn more jumping etc. I want to go out and have fun on my bike and not have to worry about having the frame break or something stupid like that.

Anyway, any suggestions? I really enjoy watching people jump off the dirt hills etc and would love to go all out and learn the stuff, but just can't on my Trek 4500. I really dont like the hard tail and I find it is not stable on the ground at all and jumps all over the place. Even riding down the rocks on the road makes it difficult since it slides everywhere and I have no control of the bike. My price range is up to $1500.00 CDN.

Tnx all.

My personal opinion would be to check out used bikes. Ipersonally think Iron Horse has some great stuff for a great price as well.

JacobDW

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Manassas, VA
Im pretty sure Transition shipps to canada....when I bought mine they had to get a frame from their canadian distributor..... they are awesome rides and awesome customer service....

RING KITS: A single ring means you have one chainring on your crank, this is my current setup and Im quite happy with it, sometimes I miss my granny gear, but I am a retard when it comes to front deraileurs, so I did awaywith it all together....

Dare2Dream

Chimp
Aug 25, 2005
Hey, they got back to me and they said I would probably be suited for their Preston FR bike in a medium frame. Do you know of any canadian distributors? How is the Preston FR? I think I will probably order it but id prefer to order from a Canadian distributor. Also, about assembling the bike, I wonder how difficult that is.

Tnx.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Once you get your headset pressed in, the fork installed, and the bottom bracket/cranks on, it shouldnt be overly hard. You probably need to take the frame and parts to a shop to have some parts installed, onces that take fancy tools.

Your not going to find a preston for under $1500cdn though. The build kit is around $2500 american, I do believe. You get what you paid for.

And the stumpjumper will be no better for what you want to do than the trek you have. The p2 is a decent urban/dirtjumping bike. But, you said you want a full-suspension, and I really think the preston is a good choice. They are good bikes. :heart:

Dare2Dream

Chimp
Aug 25, 2005
Hey again:

What about the Kona Dawg Matic? One of the bike shops can sell it to me for about $1650.00 ... how is that one ?

Your giving me good info here ....

Unfortuantely I cant pay in installments :( for the transition bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Dare2Dream said:
Hey again:

What about the Kona Dawg Matic? One of the bike shops can sell it to me for about $1650.00 ... how is that one ?

Your giving me good info here ....

Unfortuantely I cant pay in installments :( for the transition bike.
That would be a good one to look at. If you're in Canada, look at some of the norco completes as well. You can get a lot of bike for the money. I'm also selling one but it may be a little too much bike if this is something you're looking to do a lot of climbing on.

Other companies that sell inexpensive, good completes are already mentioned.....Iron Horse being a good one.......

legend_killer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
C-town, NC
you need some thing with 5'' travel and strong parts look for a 04 coiler or if you want a build up a frame look at the SWD 6Gun it should be out shortly

JT

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
legend_killer said:
you need some thing with 5'' travel and strong parts look for a 04 coiler or if you want a build up a frame look at the SWD 6Gun it should be out shortly

JT

If you mention it, its probably a piece of junk. :stosh:

;)

freeridermtb4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
dont get a rocky mountain 6 month warranty thats so ****ty, banshee scream has a 10 year warranty, or go with a bullit those things will last you a very long time expecially when your doing north shore

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
The Transition build kits are expensive but you really get what you pay for. I have an '04 with the build kit and it is absolutely bombproof!!