Quantcast

Need a HDTV

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I am looking at getting a PS3 after a while and it says it will work good with a 1080i/p tv and I can get HDTV channels here. I am looking for something around 23-30 inch HDTV TV, I would like it to be a Plasma or a LCD, i am looking to spend around $400-$800, the lower the better, I would like some HDMI inputs as well. I am not really experenced at buying TVs so any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance.

~Specializedride

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
two of those have a contrast of less than 1000:1, which I think is the minimum for quality. I don't think you really need 1080p... 720p is good enough.

yes, buy from Wal-mart if they have the best value.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if you are sitting close to the screen, go for the higher resolution. there won't be much if any 1080 viewing content coming out any time soon (blu-ray DVDs yes, over-the-air or cable-delivered TV programming, no) but games will be programmed w/ the higher resolution in mind. if you want to have a screen for mainly gaming, it's something to consider.

also, plasma is prone to 'burn-in' (ie, static images on a screen can cause ghosting after a while).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
HP LC3260N $749

That's a better LCD panel made for HP by Sharp and its not a no name brand with questionable customer support/warranty vs. your Wallymart TV. Also listed on Amazon for the same price, but it sells through JR anyways. There may be some Amazon/JR deals soon with the upcoming holidays.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Just a quick note on LCD TV's. There are only 5 or so LCD panel manufacturers in the world. So all these different brands potentially have the same panel. If you are going to go with an LCD go for warranty and history, as those are really the biggest differentiation.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
HP LC3260N $749

That's a better LCD panel made for HP by Sharp and its not a no name brand with questionable customer support/warranty vs. your Wallymart TV. Also listed on Amazon for the same price, but it sells through JR anyways. There may be some Amazon/JR deals soon with the upcoming holidays.
that is the best for the money i have seen. and i have like 300 amazon bucks. it is the biggest, best contrast at 1200:1, 2 HDMI ports, and a lot of component ports.

Anyone else have any killer deals?