Quantcast

Need a Laptop For Video Editing, what do I need?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
First off, I know a Desktop will kill a laptop for half the money but I would never use it.

I currently have a Core 2 Duo with SSD and 8GB of RAM and that does nothing to help it edit/render video.

I don't really know what I need but I am just looking at spending all the money I can spare right now which is around $1600au so not a massive budget.

I am looking at a Clevo-

http://www.metabox.com.au/W370ST-overview.asp
Metabox W370ST Overview

W370ST Overview

Category:

Gaming Enthusiast, Productivity and/or CAD/Solidworks

Features:

- Intel Haswell 4th Generation Mobile Processors, up to Intel i7-4900MQ 2.80GHz with 8MB L3 Cache
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB DDR5 Graphics Card
- 17.3" Full High Definition 1920 x 1080 Matte 72% Gamut LED Display. Optional 72% Gloss Display or 90% Gamut Gloss LED Display
- Three Memory Sockets running in Dual Channel, up to 24GB 1600MHZ DDR3 Memory or 12GB 1866MHZ DDR3 Memory
- NVIDIA Optimus Graphics Switching Technology for battery conservation

And an MSI-

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GE70-2OC.html#overview

GE70 2OC

MSI recommends Windows 8.

Windows 8
The latest 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) anti-glare LCD panel in LED backlight
High-end NVIDIA® GeForce GT 750M discrete graphics card (with GDDR5 2GB VRAM) provides great detail images quality
Exclusive Cooler Boost 2 technology improves cooling & acoustics greatly
Matrix display expands the vision for extreme gaming experience
Killer™ E2200 Game Networking for smarter, faster, networking for all online entertainment
Keyboard made just for gamers by SteelSeries
Exclusive Audio boost design for crystal clear audio fidelity

But as I have no idea how much I need in the way of processing or CPU speed I am open to suggestions around the price of the computers above. My main reason for choosing the MSI is that it has concave keys, I really hate that everyone copied Apple and started running **** to type with flat keys, why why why?!

Cheers.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Holy Jesus that is expensive in Australia, looks like the case they had on the Lambo model a while ago but three grand is a bit much for me.