Quantcast

Need a new bottom bracket....

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
What do you recommend? I ride in a lot of wet, muddy conditions. Not looking for something super high end, but I don't want to replace it again in a year. Anyone have an extra sitting around and want some extra cash?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
bluebug32 said:
so does it matter if i get an expensive one then?
Nope. I have had good luck at work with Truvativ Gigapipe cheapo BB. The flutes/splines can take more then 2/3 removals and the bearings are no better or worse then more expensive RF/FSA offerings.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have also had good luck with cheap gigapipes. I don't put on as many miles as some, but I'm also a big guy (6'4" 250ish) and the bb takes a lot of heat when I ride.

Just pick up a Truvativ Gigapipe for like $20. If yo ureplace it in a year, it works out to me like $.03 a mile or less. Not bad if you ask me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
tequiladougrox said:
You should replace your BB every year. Always.
and why is this?

i replace 'em when i get bearing slop. it's not on a yearly basis. that said, it could be cheaper to just replace the bearings than the whole thing (like my race face signature series bb on my DH bike...retail on that thing is over a hundred i think).

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
narlus said:
and why is this?

i replace 'em when i get bearing slop. it's not on a yearly basis. that said, it could be cheaper to just replace the bearings than the whole thing (like my race face signature series bb on my DH bike...retail on that thing is over a hundred i think).

I think he was being funny. There is not reason to replace it if it isn't fuct in the first place. Its a spindle and bearings, not a toothbrush.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
mastercycleman said:
how do you know when your BB is done, mines starting to creak alot, should i replace it, its an x-ype thingmajig, Gigapipe. is there anyways to fix it, ive only had my mtb for about 6 months, but ride everyday, and ride long.
what hould i do?
didnt mean to hijack your thread BTW.
Yup, the creak has taken over and I want to stab myself it's so annoying during a ride. I think I'm starting to scare away wildlife.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
bluebug32 said:
You're only supposed to bathe as often as you change your BB, right?? :confused:

;)
Hey, I was reading "outside" mag yesterday at the doctors office. You go by elizabeth?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
bluebug32 said:
I do, but I'm not in there. Might submit someday because I like their writing, but no time now. Which issue were you reading?
I dont remember the number, but it had some feature about different athletes' favorite movies that i was readin.

Rob, the foot is good. No more boot, but still too tender to do any riverdancing.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
BurlyShirley said:
I dont remember the number, but it had some feature about different athletes' favorite movies that i was readin.

Rob, the foot is good. No more boot, but still too tender to do any riverdancing.
Oh, right. That's the new issue. Did you happen to catch the article about "why I hate Boulder"? It was seriously funny.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
She should? Or everyone should?

Because I think I've replaced maybe 3 bottom brackets since 1992 on mountain bikes. :think:
...what SS didn't tell you, is that he changed bikes too. All BB stay in the bike... until the bike dies (or run into a garage).