Quantcast

need a new car

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Ciaran said:
Big truck so you can shuttle everyone.

And what the heck did you do to your pathfinder?
And how the heck is the insurance company giving you double what you paid for it? I agree, big four door truck so you can shuttle...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
lovebunny said:
ok so they decided they were gonna total my car. im getting between 8and9k for it. wich is twice what i payed so im not complainin. now do i get another pathfinder or get a truck? and what kind of truck?
Get a truck so you can shuttle, but make sure it has lots of compartments for spare tubes, patch kits, pumps, etc:D

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
blt2ride said:
And how the heck is the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=insurance%20company&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: insurance company'; self.ql_skeyphrase='insurance%20company'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='insurance%20company'; window.status='Search for: insurance company';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">insurance company</a> giving you double what you paid for it? I agree, big four door truck so you can shuttle...
because the kbb for it is around 8 grand.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
How do you use your vehicle? Do you need a bed, or is an SUV fine? Or will a car suffice? How many people do you need it to fit (comfortably)?

Given your post, I'd say you should look for a used Tacoma.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
used tacos are outrageously expensive out here. thats why i liked the tundras. there cheaper and like 5 years newer with less mileage. i could get away with an suv but i think all my riding buddies would prefer i get a truck

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
The new Honda ridgeline would be an awesome shuttle car. Big comfy cab, and the bed is plenty big for bikes. Plus the gigantic storage compartment under the bed. Unfortunately the truck isn't much good for anything else. I think my Dad wants to get one.

I still say taco.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
lovebunny said:
used tacos are outrageously expensive out here. thats why i liked the tundras. there cheaper and like 5 years newer with less mileage. i could get away with an suv but i think all my riding buddies would prefer i get a truck

get a vehicle for you not your buddies.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
i have a suburban for sale including bike rack for 5k. New engine last year runs great. dont ask about gas mileage

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
You can always get a used 4-runner or something if you're still into that "pathfinder" style of SUV. Although you'll run into the same issues with bikes, you'll have to have a rack and such.

But a pickup truck is the way to go. You could get anything from a chevy, ford, whatever in that price range, especially down where you live. Any Ranger/S10 extended cab would probably work fine. That way you're getting something without a V8 (so cheaper on gas), smaller (so cheaper on insurance), and most importantly you can take 3 or 4 guys as a shuttle truck. Seems like the most logical way to go.

Just for example, I'm 23, on my own insurance and such, drive a 91 k1500 single cab 4x4 and I pay roughly $50-60 to fill it up, and $a little under $500 a year for insurance. I can only take 1 person with me anywhere I go because I have bucket seats. Not the ideal shuttle truck for you and a bunch of buddies so I'm always open for the "gas money gift" :)

When I get the chance this truck will go and I'll get something smaller and more pratical. Compact trucks are perfect for anyone that wants to horse around, get good gas mileage, and just overall a reliable car. Fullsize's are great if you tow or have dirtbikes/quads to take out all the time but other than that they are useless. If I could have found a 4.0 ranger or a 4.3 s10 I would have picked one up (engine size) because they are pretty powerfull for a v6 (granted they are almost v8 in displacement).

I've had everything from a blazer, to a camaro, and now my truck, and I don't think I like the SUV thing, but I liked it more than the camaro (which was useless except for racing around in), and the truck is great except well........the gas. Having power on tap with a 350 v8 is nice though!. I'd definately look into a compact truck.

I hear you with the Toyota problem and their prices. They stay so high because they are really great trucks. Even a 4 banger Tacoma had qite a bit of pep for a small truck. Nissan trucks aren't horrible either, just all the jap pickups hold their value pretty well. But seeing where you live and such, I imagine a Ranger or S10 that is sorta the "pre-runner" style would be fun to have and horse around in.

So many options out there, just look and take your time so you don't regret what you bought. Best advice!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If you want a small truck, get an s-10 zr2 (offroad package: ladder frame, small lift, tougher tranny, 30" tires (think), bilstein shocks- nice for a stock truck.

I'm going to get a chevy 1500 96-98 w/ a 4" lift and 33 x 10.5s. I'm going to get a free-er flowing exhasut system and a free-er flowing intake manifold. I'm going to do stuff that will help the gas.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
mtnbrider said:
If you want a small truck, get an s-10 zr2 (offroad package: ladder frame, small lift, tougher tranny, 30" tires (think), bilstein shocks- nice for a stock truck.

I'm going to get a chevy 1500 96-98 w/ a 4" lift and 33 x 10.5s. I'm going to get a free-er flowing exhasut system and a free-er flowing intake manifold. I'm going to do stuff that will help the gas.
LOL the lift and tires won't help with gas, trust me :) I got 9" of lift and went down to 33's to "help with gas". Didn't do much! All the free flowing exhaust does is make you step on it more because it gets louder and such. I have most bolt ons for power and such. Intake, exhaust, chip, pulley's, TB spacer, whatever you want it's there. I have power, but not great gas mileage.

ZR2's are excellent trucks, I wouldn't think twice about getting one of those if it came up in your price range.

But in the sense of lifted vehicles I feel safe, I know that I probably won't die as easy as a compact car if in a wreck. There's some positives to larger vehicles.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
:D Yeah i realize 33's will hurt the fuel economy, but I am going to offroad. I was really liking some other 33's that were 12.5" wide, but I heard about some 10.5s. I would also get all terrain tires.

At least im not going to do this for the road. Some people get super swampers and huge lifts for the look, and they never go anywhere near dirt. I HATE when people do that. A street truck is fine, I think it should be kept stock height or lowered (might as well make it nice to drive)

Uncle Jimmi

Chimp
Nov 17, 2005
I would get that Tundra,,,QUICK!!!
Here is my rig= 79 CJ-5 on 44's with 22in lift Powered by a chevy 350 with a 671 blower pulling air through 2 holly 450's
Dana 60 rear 5/13 gears and 4 link susp.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
:eek: :eek: Thats cRaZy. What do you do with it? Mud/rock crawling?

Lovebunny, go to offroadjunkie.com. Post there. They are helpful and know what they are talking about over there. Thats the other site, the head monkey does/owns/ or something.

I think you should get a truck.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Well I do play in the mud, I have 33x13.50 swampers, and a 9" lift. I qualify for having useless toys :)

Biggest thing with lifted trucks.........hate to say it, is gears. You can do all the engine/trans mods you want but when it comes down to it, the larger tires and such require a gear change front and rear (if 4x4). Right now I have 3.73's which are ok for 33's, but 4.56's and 35's would make it like driving on stock sized tires. That'd be ubber fun!

Yeah, prerunners.net and offroadjunkie.com are 2 excellent sites to find info about these toys.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
mtnbrider said:
What gearing would be good for an 96-98 silverado 4x4 1500 w/ 33X10.5s?
Well that is still considered a OBS (old body style) and the 99 and up are NBS (new body style). I believe all OBS trucks had gear options of 3.73 or 3.42's. 33's should be OK will 33x10.5's. If I can run swampers at that gear range it's fine. Even on the gear charts it tells you that 33's are max for gear height at 3.73's for highway fuel economy.

Now the NBS trucks you can get 3.42, 3.73, and 4.10. 4.10's would be perfect for 33's and even possibly 35's (35's for highway driving). The width doesn't do a whole lot besides make it harder to get things up and moving. A 10.5 is a pretty narrow tire. I'd atleast get 33x12.50 as that's 99% of what you see with trucks with 33's. 31x10.5 is common in that size. If you play around in the mud you don't want a narrow tire, and the sand is the opposite, you want a tire that when aired down it will be like a "balloon" You can get some makes of 33's in 15.50 wide! Most pismo trucks will rock like 35x15.50 or 17.50 if they can.

Plus..........if you use it as a shuttle truck, the 4.56 style of gears will help a load because when you lift a stock pickup (or anything really) your transmission has to make up for the difference. That's why you see alot of ford/chevy's with rebuilt tranny's or failing one's at less than 100k. You can do one thing to your car and not do others to the rest. The truck I bought used had a rebuilt trans and rebuilt rear axle (guessing the person fried both with a lift and tires above 35's). With for example my truck, if I wanted "stock" power and such I'd have to go to 4.10's or 4.56's for 35's. That would make my truck, lifted and huge tires, accelerate like it was when it was bone stock. When you change gears it also assists the tranny in shifting right and takes loads off of it. No one wants to do gears though because you're looking at $1300-2000 here locally (that might be with a locker in the rear as well) but tell me what person wants to do that?

I've learned alot from my current truck. The next pickup I get is not going to be 4wd, not going to be a single cab, and I'll do the right things to it. 2wd extended cab silverado for me, I'll do a minor lift and change the gears, since it's only like $500-600 to do 1 axle vs. 2 on a 4wd and chevy's have IFS front, which makes it a PITA to remove and work with, plus 4.56 has such a small pinion you could hurt it if you really romp your truck.

Phew, LOL.........everything hurts a pickup other than stock, big tires, lifts, whatever requires you to look at your gears. If you don't, you'll fry transmissions and those aren't cheap either (Roughly $1700 for a TH700R4 from the dealer, brand new crate) but it costs that much more more to get one rebuilt here in town. To rebuild a rear end (new seals, bearings, posi, gears etc.....) is around $1400-1700 depending on the place. The front diff is just easier to get a junkyard one because it's crap anyways. You get the hint by now.

Check out http://www.fullsizechevy.com that is probably the best fullsize chevy site I've found.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I am going to re gear it. I think 4.10s would be good, some one else suggested that. Thanks for the link. That place seems really active.