Quantcast

need a new cassette!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what size cassette you looking for?

ive been happy when i moved to a Sram PG970 12-26 cassette. its 220grams and is relatively light, especially compared to my old 11-34 PG970 that weighs 400+ grams.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
size like as 12-26? and what not?
Not too concerned about how many
An XT isnt much heavier than a 12/26 sram and you have all the great gearing for a more pedal friendly ride.
XT is 290 or so grams and the XTR is 260 grams.

a 12/26 means the smallest cog is 12 teeth and the largest is 26 a 11/34 means the smallest is 11 teeth and the 34 is 34teeth on the largest cog.
an 11/34 will have a couple more cogs to allow better shifting up, a 11 tooth is pretty damn fast and a 34 makes going up hill alot easier. So if you do any freeride or uphill jonts big or small the 11/34 is a great set up...

Last edited:

chance199

Monkey
May 23, 2009
Port Orchard, WA
An XT isnt much heavier than a 12/26 sram and you have all the great gearing for a more pedal friendly ride.
XT is 290 or so grams and the XTR is 260 grams.

a 12/26 means the smallest cog is 12 teeth and the largest is 26 a 11/34 means the smallest is 11 teeth and the 34 is 34teeth on the largest cog.
an 11/34 will have a couple more cogs to allow better shifting up, a 11 tooth is pretty damn fast and a 34 makes going up hill alot easier. So if you do any freeride or uphill jonts big or small the 11/34 is a great set up...
i do mostly all DH, the riding up part is me riding up my road to be stupid :D

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've had better luck w/ Shimano cassettes than Sram in the shifting department. I would look at either an Ultegra/Dura-ace cassette if you like having a closer spread, or the new Saint 11-28 cassette if you're like me where you want a pretty big spread most of the time without having to double-shift to get noticeable changes between gears.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've had better luck w/ Shimano cassettes than Sram in the shifting department. I would look at either an Ultegra/Dura-ace cassette if you like having a closer spread, or the new Saint 11-28 cassette if you're like me where you want a pretty big spread most of the time without having to double-shift to get noticeable changes between gears.
I've had the Ultegra 12-27 in the past and have a SLX 11-28 currently. The SLX is awesome. Perfect spread IMO.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
I'd def go Ultegra, so dam hard to find a good spread of options even in road cassettes now, with road being 10spd for so long, less and less from Shimano!

but ya can always gear down ya front ring, run an 11/23 rear or even a 21

I run an 36t up front and 11/24 or 11/26 I made up myself from mix of older Ultegra's and XT shifting is awesome chainline is awesome cause I space in from the chainstay and also from the hub with a nice close ratio,[7spd] makes a huge difference to maintaining speed.

Just don't get how many peeps rec 11/34 or 32s on a DH bike, makes no sense to me, gotta climb get of an walk up, DH is about the downs even on the flats we haul. I never feel like I'm to low geared.

2nd CRC even roadie shops I have to order it in, I'm over it, LBS dosen't stock the bread and butter I'm online :D

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just don't get how many peeps rec 11/34 or 32s on a DH bike, makes no sense to me, gotta climb get of an walk up, DH is about the downs even on the flats we haul. I never feel like I'm to low geared.
why get off your bike when you can ride up? some of us arent lazy and prefer to ride our bikes up AND down the hills, not matter what bike the large cassette is on.
ive been using 11-34 cassettes on my DH bikes for 11 years.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
why get off your bike when you can ride up? some of us arent lazy and prefer to ride our bikes up AND down the hills, not matter what bike the large cassette is on.
ive been using 11-34 cassettes on my DH bikes for 11 years.
I'm not lazy ;)

after 2.5years off due to injury I'm not strong enough yet even if I did have a big cassette.

You might run a big cassette never said it dosen;t work.

But it does mess ya ratio's that's not in doubt ride a closer ratio with less gears with appropriate crank length and you will see the difference

Thats why!

Also you can create a less dished wheel due to not having to spoke the drive side to clear the bigger rings you can go lighter in the rim and build a stronger wheel. as imo ya should anyhow regardless why I'm not into 10spd for DH.

Also you run a better chain line, a shorter chain, less sucky, less chain wear less cluster wear, and something often over looked less wear o ya rear d, there is much less impact on the pivots of the RD if in an 11/26 vs an 11/32 spread, re-gardless of jockey length.

I don;t know what hills you can ride up if its a a good track for a DH bike but even if ya can, I bet I cover a **** load of terrain plus I build usually on ride days, Lazy I'm not, I'm about full optimistation.

Dh is called downhill for a reason Hello :D

But everyone to there own, in this case the guy did say he wasn't interested in pedaling up roads he wanted to maximise his DH potential. ;)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
But it does mess ya ratio's that's not in doubt ride a closer ratio with less gears with appropriate crank length and you will see the difference

Also you can create a less dished wheel due to not having to spoke the drive side to clear the bigger rings you can go lighter in the rim and build a stronger wheel.

less chain wear less cluster wear,

I don;t know what hills you can ride up if its a a good track for a DH bike but even if ya can, I bet I cover a **** load of terrain plus I build usually on ride days, Lazy I'm not, I'm about full optimistation.

Dh is called downhill for a reason Hello
your comments never seem to make sense. :think::think: i really hope Engrish is your second or third language

i have ridden both a road cassette and large mountain cassette on my bikes and have no problem with either of them. what does crank length have to do with what size cassette you are running??

and dishing a wheel has nothing to do with the cassette. ive ran both cassettes on my DH bike with zero issue. lighter rim=stronger wheel?? why cant you use a light rim w/ a mountain cassette?

how is there less chain wear? or "cluster wear"

i also never said i ride up the "tracks," i said i ride up and down hills.
and youre right a DH bike ONLY can be ridden on a "track" hello

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
your comments never seem to make sense. :think::think: i really hope Engrish is your second or third language

i have ridden both a road cassette and large mountain cassette on my bikes and have no problem with either of them. what does crank length have to do with what size cassette you are running??

and dishing a wheel has nothing to do with the cassette. ive ran both cassettes on my DH bike with zero issue. lighter rim=stronger wheel?? why cant you use a light rim w/ a mountain cassette?

how is there less chain wear? or "cluster wear"

i also never said i ride up the "tracks," i said i ride up and down hills.
and youre right a DH bike ONLY can be ridden on a "track" hello
Classic since you can;t read the next best thing is too attack my writing English skills!

I seem to be able to find quite a few in you're replies, not that I care, always amazes me the arrogance you guys, I love the USA but this seems more common from there than anywhere when ya don't like some ones elses opinion! typical bully mentality, fine with me dude, I love bullies cause I know where its coming from, I won't step back ever from a bully.

I'm all for debate! not arse sucking greasers who have to agree with each other all the time. Or all in consumerism because more is better.

If you could read my mess, and yes I am pretty bad but not that bad!

Thats what happens when you've broken your neck and suffered and brain injury ya been battling for 2.5years, least I'm riding, I make no excuse for that it is what it is! Tough.

Crank Length - actually has allot to do with it and if ya hadn't said how long you've been riding that's the first thing I would ask you!

Comparing 165mm vs 175mm or 170mm for that matter, the shorter cranks its std maths will do one rotation faster than cranks of a longer length!
Its not just about pedal clearance! Ive ridden BMX to DH its not rocket science!

This is called spinning in DH or cycling for DH ya want to be able to maintain momentum right? I'm sure you know this.

With closer ratio's on your cluster you can spin more efficiently and faster maintain that spin, there is no need to go up into the gears you are running downhill even if there is a wee climb in between somewhere, that's not to say people can't as I never said that!

You clearly get better spin for getting out of corners for accelerating up to obstacles!

The fact is like a road bike with many or too many gears, lots of riders push the wrong gears so they are not efficient, either in spin or cyclic rate, roadies especially inexperienced ones tend to push too harder gears, MTB often too easier gears, lots of this is down to what came on the bike, so most sheep tend to stay with what they know.

I expected more from DH riders, esp here, go figure.

As for wear a Rear D that has to go up from 11 to 34t or 32t is being worked especially at DH speed far more than a XC/trail bike or AM bike, then add the chain to that equation and there is significant wear on all 32 main components, longer chain even one link makes a diff, the RD ,chain and front ring, let along the jockey cage all get worked far more and prob a cause for broken chains I know that happened to me a lot in 07 on my Stab WC stupid Kona specc, LC Rd 175mm cranks 11/34t cluster, I ran it all year it failed every race, I knew it but put up with it as it was stepping bike back to DH at the time, Ive regretted it many times for not changing then, as I like the bike was a fun ride.

Ive seen this many times esp recently since Ive been back and Ive converted some riders recently and at the beginning they didn't notice much, by the end they both noticed significant speed gains and also found it easier to maintain speed. its a no brainer the only reason you'd go big at the rear is for pedaling up hills and that's fine, but its not optimum DH gearing which was the original question!

As for dishing that's a hole nuther debate I wonder if you've built wheels, spacing maybe the same, however dishing is done by spoke length, to clear the cluster size a builder needs to take this into account when building a wheel, most probably just used std so never take advantage of dishing for for a smaller cluster, but more even length on both sides will provide a stiffer and stronger wheel hello. Again simple maths. :thumb:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
9 speed? Thats it? I think you need to join the other consumer whores and get a 10 speed. It will take .023x10 off your race time.

On a serious note...srams new mountain cassettes are really nice. Also, I would recommend an 11-25/11-26 ratio. Depending on the place you ride.