Quantcast

Need a new fork that will take DJ'ing...

monkey_wheel

Chimp
Aug 11, 2001
BC
Since my 2001 4 inch Marz Z5 has crapped out, (crown creaks, steer tube definately cracked) after a couple light dirt jumping sessions, I think it is time to start looking for a new fork, as I doubt Marzocchi will warrenty it with all the bad experiences I've been hearing about them.

So, I was thinking of a DMR Trailblade, but I'm thinking rigid might just kill me, cause I will use the bike for a bit more than just dirt jumping, some trail riding here and there. Anyone have any experience with Manitou Blacks or 2002 Psylos? the manitou sherman flick looks promising, but it is a first year product, who knows how it will go. I just want to stay away from marzocchi. After seeing/hearing all the horror stories of their Dirt Jump line of forks seperating at the m-arch/upper joint, and the stanchions snapping, I don't feel safe with them...

Thanks all

spag52

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
MA
marz will let you trade in the z5 and upgrade for a low price. anyways the z5 and the dj1 are in 2 different leagues. if you didn't do much more than crack a steerer tube(it was prob aluminum, evryone knows they suck) you won't tax out a dj1. sure the dj1's have had arch problems but that was only a few of the thousands released. they now come with mag arch which is stronger also. anyways, marz is the best bang for the buck.

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
Reasonably priced. and a grat ride. if you want a bit more adj go with tehe dj1. 20mm

i love my dj2. Even if you nose in to the landing an catch the top with teh front wheel it soakes it up.

only triend that one.. learned my lesson .. didn't go down but had to chack my shorts..

monkey_wheel

Chimp
Aug 11, 2001
BC
well, it is either a DJ1 or DJ2 for me now. Haha, I know I said I'd never buy Marzocchi again, but I realized that all the problems with the fork were a small percentage, and they were warrentied. I can't really complain about my busted Z5, it wasn't made for dirt jumping and harsh riding.

Anyone have any suggestions on any places I can get a DJ1 or DJ2 for the cheapeset?

Btw, anyone know if I can use a normal 20mm DH hub for the DJ1 QR20? Is the extra $150-$200 for the DJ1 over DJ2 worth it just for QR20 and added adjustments? (once my fork is adjusted right, I never touch it.) I've noticed my Z5 is super flexy, so I might be spending the extra on the qr20 axle. Anyone reccomend cheap but good 20mm hubs?

thanks for the help all

R

RideMonkey

I don't jump but heres an observation:

You guys break anything and everything dirt jumping. Since its a given that you are going to break your forks, doesn't it make the most sense to just get the cheapest possible fork thats gonna do the job?

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
RM has got a point, i would always want a nice expensive fork like that, but i cant afford it, so i ride a judy tc2 w/ 4in andi do just fine. maybe you could get a better fork then that but dont blow your money on somethimg you will break any way...... ok have fun with the new fork, i wish i had a dj1 or 2 ok byby :D :cool: :)

ant:

Chimp
May 17, 2002
Long Island, NY
I'd rather have an expensive fork break at the arch than have a cheap fork crack at the top of the stanchions or at the steerertube..

I can replace a fork alot easier than I can replace my teeth an collarbones...

see what I mean?

nsrider

Chimp
Jun 20, 2002
Surrey, BC, Canada
ok u say u just broke ur steerer tube, well i broke my stanctions in half, i ride hard and do big stuff:D marrizocci(sp) warrentied my fork and for an extra 100 they gave me a dj2, i wont reccomend this fork, instead i will reccomend a 99 z1 duel, or a maitou supernova, good lluck getting those forks tho, so instead go for a 2000 z1 qr20 and throw a envy arch or blackspire arch on, they stiffen up the fork alot and add to the overall strength a hell of alot www.envygear.com the replacable arch works way the hell better than a newer dj1 because of the strength lost through the m arch

monkey_wheel

Chimp
Aug 11, 2001
BC
update:

snapped z5 at the stanchions landing a double. Turns out the steer tube was perfect. :rolleyes:

broken nose, chipped teeth, and stitches on chin.

sending fork in to marz 2morrow morning, hopefully get a dj2!

monkey_wheel

Chimp
Aug 11, 2001
BC
Originally posted by Babar
*cough* they need to make MTB version of S&M Pitchfork :)
I will be getting a 24" Pitchfork on my bike when I am running dual 24"s. But that is when I have a DH bike too... drool.

BTW, the Fox Shox seem to be much more expensive than the DJ2. I'm looking for overall toughness. I really don't care about damping, adjustment, blah blah. As long as it doesn't snap, and provides some cush, I'm fine with it.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Marz DJ 1 : Best choice, Strong, Marz CS is the best of the big 3

Any Mani Black : Terrible choice, XC forks, seen broken on the shop floor, brand new

Fox Forx : Good fork for heavy trailriding, or super smooth Brian Lopes (You are neither)

Psylo: I'm not a huge fan, some like, me no. Better than a Manitou, although not as good as Fox or Marz.

I say, if you are going to go for a suspensions DJ fork (Don't know why you would, but whatever) go for the Marzocchi DIRTJUMPER 1. Its made for what you want to do.

If you decide not to be a puss, go for a Planet X Kniffen. 3+ Pounds of rigid steel. MMMMM

monkey_wheel

Chimp
Aug 11, 2001
BC
Originally posted by BLOODAXE

I say, if you are going to go for a suspensions DJ fork (Don't know why you would, but whatever) go for the Marzocchi DIRTJUMPER 1. Its made for what you want to do.

If you decide not to be a puss, go for a Planet X Kniffen. 3+ Pounds of rigid steel. MMMMM
]

I ride more than just DJ, although I love it. I am planning on racing a few DH's on my dirt jumper (call me crazy) and I love bombing Rose Hill. try that on a rigid

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by BLOODAXE
I was doing stair gaps on my rigid, nuff said.
I also heard that you would fall to the ground writhing in pain and clutching your wrists after said stair gaps. :eek: :D Ok, maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but prophet6 did mention it. Back on topic, I'm going to give the Kniffen a try for DJing, and will let you all know how it feels after running a Super T for a year.