Quantcast

Need a New PDA/Pocket PC

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So, when My apartment got broken into, they also stole my Palm Pilot. I am looking at getting a new one. I don't know if I should go with a Palm again, or a Pocket PC. I want WiFi, Portability, and a way to hook up an external keyboard. I am accustomed to the Palm Desktop, but......... I could change.

I found one that looks really cool, but it appears to not be a US item. The Loox 700 Series. Anyone know anything about them?

And I don't know how I feel about the new Palm LifeDrive.

Anyone with any suggestions or experiance would be appreciated :)

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I owned a Treo 650 for a while and the built in keyboard was really nice and easy to use. Now if Cingular would have released the NVFS firmware fix I would still own that phone.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have a dell axim - it's decent. Used it all through university to keep me on top of things and tap into the wifi network.

That said, i now have a nice nokia 3650 so I stopped using the axim. 2 huge devices to carry around.

I am waiting on my new blackberry now to replace them all. Screw multiple devices!

J

JRB

gigapower said:
Blackberry.....ewwwwww. :p
I don't know what programs you can get, and it was great having email, but I was more than relieved when I traded mine for a cell phone.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
gigapower said:
Blackberry.....ewwwwww. :p
All I really need it for is email and posting to the website, so it will work out just fine. Unlimited blackberry plans here are dirt cheap - unlimited data plans are absurd hence the reason i don't get a Treo 650.

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
After using PDA's since the Newton, I just can't stand the Blackberry's lack of a touch screen interface, I hate the scroll wheel!

I still think the Newton is the best PDA ever created.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
gigapower said:
I still think the Newton is the best PDA ever created.
You sir, are nuts!

Windows mobile is actually pretty damn slick, but I need to find a touch screen phone running windows mobile with a 1mp camera that is smaller then a brick.

Then I will buy it on the spot, no matter how much it costs.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
BigMike said:
So, when My apartment got broken into, they also stole my Palm Pilot. I am looking at getting a new one. I don't know if I should go with a Palm again, or a Pocket PC. I want WiFi, Portability, and a way to hook up an external keyboard. I am accustomed to the Palm Desktop, but......... I could change.

I found one that looks really cool, but it appears to not be a US item. The Loox 700 Series. Anyone know anything about them?

And I don't know how I feel about the new Palm LifeDrive.

Anyone with any suggestions or experiance would be appreciated :)
Dude, save yourself the headache of trying to find one, and Get the Dell Axim X50 or the X50V. This thing is a workhorse. It's so powerful, that when I travel, I don't take a lap-top. I have a word processor (not pocket word). I have e-books. I have wi-fi. I have a BT Think Outside keyboard.

The reviews are always consistent, and you certainly get more for your money than typically with someone else. The difference between the x50, and the x50v is the v is true VGA and the x is qvga.

You’ll thank me for this. If you want to check mine out, send me a PM and we can meet at Legends or someplace. I live on the southside in Chester.