Quantcast

Need a spot to vaction and mtb in the region

GORE809

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Beaufort, SC
I am trying to figure out a place for me to get some good time on the bike and also be able to have a good time for the wife and I. Any suggestions the goal is to stay less then a day drive from SC

Art:imstupid:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I am trying to figure out a place for me to get some good time on the bike and also be able to have a good time for the wife and I. Any suggestions the goal is to stay less then a day drive from SC

Art:imstupid:
Time of year? Length of stay? How many days are you gonna ride?
Other activities you have to do besides ride?
Type of money you got to spend on accomodations?
Private cabin? Hotel?

GORE809

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Beaufort, SC
Time of year? Length of stay? How many days are you gonna ride?
Other activities you have to do besides ride?
Type of money you got to spend on accomodations?
Private cabin? Hotel?
third week of march

well i wanted to ride for a few days, anything is game as far as other activities, type of money im in the navy so not so much i but i got a few bucks to spend, but i dont want to break 500 for like 5 to 6 day worth, and i dotn care as long as it is a roof and some running water

If it were me I'd stay up in Asheville or better yet at Hendersonville at an affordable hotel. You can look them up by town on www.hotels.com and they usually have good prices on there. Hendersonville is a smaller town so there may not be as much for your wife to do, but there is a lot of sight seeing (bat cave, chimney rock, lake lure, etc.) to do and some really good restaurants downtown. My wife really likes downtown Hendersonville. Asheville would have more for your wife to do. The two towns are not that far away from one another actually(20-30 miles??).

The riding in the mountains in that part of NC is some of the best around. Check out www.mtbikewnc.com for all of the scoop. Pisgah national forest is where it's at. Lots of diversity from easy rides in Dupont area to rough, rocky, steep, and exposed trails in Davidson area of the forest. If you go you need to get a trail map from backcountry outdoors in downtown Brevard. Be warned though, once you ride up here it's like a drug and you have to keep coming back for your fix.

Didn't know what kind of riding your into, or if you already know about the area, but that is where I would go with my money.

Jul 9, 2007
I agree, you should go to pisgah.
The scenery there is beautiful, and the trails are absolutely amazing.
I've been going there for 4 or so years and jonnynails is right.
Once you ride there one time you will be hooked. I drive 6 hours at least three times a year to ride here.

you could take a day or two off of riding and do some day hikes with the wife out to some of the really awesome waterfalls and such.

I hear there has been a lot of trail work in the dupont area since I last rode there in the fall. Burnt Mountain apparently got rerouted and word is they are build some pump track like sections on the top. I'm excited to go check it out.
I'll be in pisgah for a week in march and I am super pumped!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
third week of march

well i wanted to ride for a few days, anything is game as far as other activities, type of money im in the navy so not so much i but i got a few bucks to spend, but i dont want to break 500 for like 5 to 6 day worth, and i dotn care as long as it is a roof and some running water
well...if you're all about having fun in every way, your best bet is to stay at the hotels at Biltmore Mall(a ghost town of a mall). You'll be a 10 minute drive into downtown Asheville with everything food and nightlife wise. Going to the Orange Peel (smoke free) for bands that are pretty good with tons of restaurants is good.

From the Biltmore Mall, you are a few minutes from Carolina Fatz bike shop at the entrance to Bent Creek for mechanical needs and you can get on the interstate and be in Brevard in 30 minutes where all the best rides are.
I suggest riding Black Mtn(halfway) to left on Thrift Cove to left on Sycamore Cove as a first ride in Brevard. Then go to the Fish Hatchery. Sycamore Cycles is on the main road in Brevard and will help you with a few routes.

In between Bent Creek and Brevard (and on your way to Brevard) is Mills River Recreation Area. Park at the Trace Ridge parking lot and ride down the gravel rd, left across the bridge, left on Spencer Gap(across Trace Ridge), right on the gravel to left on Fletcher Creek. (Big beaver dam at the bottom of the 2nd field). There is a fire road that connects Bent Creek and Mills River but don't think that they are 1 riding area, unless you are a hammerhead XC rider who lives for fire road descents.

You can stay in Asheville too at the Best Western downtown cheap or Days Inn Tunnel Rd, Econolodge Tunnel Rd and be about 10 minutes further out from the trails...but in the heart of Asheville. Cheap place to eat in downtown:
Barleys Taproom
Asheville Pizza & Brewing (a sit down cinema for only $2.00..and FOOD!)
Doc Shey's
Mama Citas
Mellow Mushroom
Wasabi

acme54321

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
Yeah Asheville.

Fast and Jumpy? Green's Lick in Bent Creek is just that.

Downhill? Pisgah. You'll have to climb some for that but it's worth it. Bennett Gap should still be open then. One ride that I really like combines going down Pilot Rock and Black Mountain. You shuttle to the Parkway and go to the second parking lot after Pisgah in (coming from 276). From there you backtrack a little down the mountin to sea trail (hiking only, walk bike) after like a hundred yards you hit Laurel, where you descent like 3/4 of a mile to Pilot, then you go down that. It's steep with tight rocky switchbacks and there is a big rock garden in the middle. At the bottom you follow a FS Rd for a little then climb Buckhorn Gap to Clawhammer Rd, which isn't bad. Now for the bad. There is a mile long push to the top of Black mountain from here. This part is a bitch. So push up black mountain. Then the decent down Black Mountain is screaming fast, the top half is more rocky w/ big water bars and whatnot, the bottom is a old roadbed but is super fast and flowy with some big bermed wallrides and a good size creek jump. This ride kicks ass. It's like 4000 ft of DH and 2000 climbing.

GORE809

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Beaufort, SC
thanks yall so the overall i am gettin is go to ashville, which sounds great and so most these places are close together? so i would be able to stay at a single hotel and hit it all up

Yeah Asheville.

Fast and Jumpy? Green's Lick in Bent Creek is just that.

Downhill? Pisgah. You'll have to climb some for that but it's worth it. Bennett Gap should still be open then. One ride that I really like combines going down Pilot Rock and Black Mountain. You shuttle to the Parkway and go to the second parking lot after Pisgah in (coming from 276). From there you backtrack a little down the mountin to sea trail (hiking only, walk bike) after like a hundred yards you hit Laurel, where you descent like 3/4 of a mile to Pilot, then you go down that. It's steep with tight rocky switchbacks and there is a big rock garden in the middle. At the bottom you follow a FS Rd for a little then climb Buckhorn Gap to Clawhammer Rd, which isn't bad. Now for the bad. There is a mile long push to the top of Black mountain from here. This part is a bitch. So push up black mountain. Then the decent down Black Mountain is screaming fast, the top half is more rocky w/ big water bars and whatnot, the bottom is a old roadbed but is super fast and flowy with some big bermed wallrides and a good size creek jump. This ride kicks ass. It's like 4000 ft of DH and 2000 climbing.
My man. Now that's what i'm talking about. Way to link together an epic ride. I'm usually happy when I'm in one piece at the bottom of Pilot. You better shuttle that sh!t though. What a ride back up the mountain that would be if you didn't.

acme54321

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
Yeah the climb back to the car at the top would suck, no way you'd ever catch me doing that. We also did a shuttle from the same starting point that did Laurel>Bradley Creek>Mills River>Turkey Pen>Black Mountain>Camp Ground. That wasn't such a good idea. We started at noon and it got dark while we were climbing Turkey pen. 11 hours total, 4 of it hiking up TP and descending Black Mt in the dark.

GORE809

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Beaufort, SC
thanks for all the great ideas, im gonna try to follow the ride you got here, we plan to book hotels soon thanks for all the help