Quantcast

Need advice for a good hike near Snowshoe WV

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I need some help on a good hike near snowshoe. Something short and sweet would be ideal.

It's a 10 hour drive or so from home, would like something I can hit up breifly with the GF friday afternoon. We're staying at the lodge, I see they have a few hikes but they all look a bit longer than what I wanna do after 10 hours in the car. Would like something with a nice view or where I can catch a good sunset.

Suggestions near by or on the way down?

Thanks

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Seneca Rocks is on the way home kind of. It's safe because unlike other areas in the Mountain State they do not allow atv's on the trails. Shenandoah is about 70 miles away from there and is quite spectacular. If you time it right you can see the Laurels bloom at Seneca Rocks. It is very shaley there and you can't wear sandals to hike there....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Idea was to hike friday afternoon when we get down there, the less additional time in the car the better. jdcamb good call on shenandoah but I think thats a hair farther then I want to go out of the way, we drove through there on the way to massanutten (we took the scenic route, buckhannon across 33 to massanutten instead of coming down through pittsburgh) some beautiful sights.

I'll be checking into this scenic highway on 219. thanks

jdcamb if I remember right you spent some time in michigan? We just drove the tunnel of trees on 119 in harbor springs this weekend, pretty nice little stretch of road.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Idea was to hike friday afternoon when we get down there, the less additional time in the car the better. jdcamb good call on shenandoah but I think thats a hair farther then I want to go out of the way, we drove through there on the way to massanutten (we took the scenic route, buckhannon across 33 to massanutten instead of coming down through pittsburgh) some beautiful sights.

I'll be checking into this scenic highway on 219. thanks

jdcamb if I remember right you spent some time in michigan? We just drove the tunnel of trees on 119 in harbor springs this weekend, pretty nice little stretch of road.
Petoskey/Round Lake. Harbor Springs is nice.. Were the flies kicking in yet?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Petoskey/Round Lake. Harbor Springs is nice.. Were the flies kicking in yet?
No, not bad at all. We stayed at the Petoskey state park, chair lift rides at boyne saturday and sunday (they have a nice "litte" bike park going) I didn't even use bug spray all weekend..... and then monday thought we would drive up to cross village and check out the hype on the tunnel of trees. Stopped over in Burt Lake State park for a swim before heading back home to the flint area.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Have you ever been to Snowshoe? Your balcony is about the best view in the state.
Yes, a few times, wanted something where I could get away from the peoplez and the buildings and have a nice little hike.

She comes to ride with me, the least I can do is take her on a quick hike she'd enjoy.