Quantcast

Need Advice from Running Monkeys

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
OK - I have been running ALOT, 3 to 4 times a week between 3 - 5 miles. For some reason I'm still getting blisters on my right foot. I'm flat footed so I think that might have something to do with it.

I was wondering if anyone has any secrets.

I have tried different sock - I have good running shoes. It seems like anything over 4 miles and I'm getting a blister.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Where on your foot? Every blister I've ever had came from shoes not fitting me right. Had nothing to do with good shoes vs cheap shoes, it was all in the fit.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I still get blisters on long runs (10+ miles) if I forget to moleskin my pinky toe. ...but as jackson asked, where on your foot? My spare pair of runners I keep in my truck give me a blister on the insole of my foot, but that's just because I'm not used to them (ie: I'm not callused from the constant wear).

Do your feet sweat a lot? That can be problematic as well; maybe try powdering up with a bit of cornstarch before running.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I had the same thing happen when I ran over 12 miles. The blisters were always on my two outside toes, and would tear me up (esp. if I was running 15+).

-Wright Socks they're double layered, and prevent blisters
-go get your feet checked by a running store (not just any ol shoe store)
-bodyglide

I loved my old sneakers, but they didn't have any give in the toe area, so I ended up getting sneakers with kind of a mesh which was very stretchy and didn't cramp my feet.

The guy who fitted me ran 3 marathons. I think that kind of helped, the fact that he had some sort of experience, unlike the Foot Locker Brats who are into what color the shoe is.

You might try going to the runners world forums and just doing a search. You'll find plenty of ideas and suggestions.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
I had the same thing happen when I ran over 12 miles. The blisters were always on my two outside toes, and would tear me up (esp. if I was running 15+).

-Wright Socks they're double layered, and prevent blisters
-go get your feet checked by a running store (not just any ol shoe store)
-bodyglide

I loved my old sneakers, but they didn't have any give in the toe area, so I ended up getting sneakers with kind of a mesh which was very stretchy and didn't cramp my feet.

The guy who fitted me ran 3 marathons. I think that kind of helped, the fact that he had some sort of experience, unlike the Foot Locker Brats who are into what color the shoe is.

You might try going to the runners world forums and just doing a search. You'll find plenty of ideas and suggestions.
thank you for a nice write up. I went to "the running company" and they had me run around and look silly but the shoes they picked out rock. I have been using medium weight wool socks and those seem to work. I just have the one area the keeps blistering up. I'll try some bodyglide.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
I had blisters up until about 3 weeks before a marathon.... that's when I switched shoes, socks, and added bodyglide.

You best bet on marathon morning I was lubin' up my toes like they 17 yr old anal virgins.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
The only time I have gotten blisters was on marathon day when I ran a lot of the day in wet shoes/socks (there was a creek crossing a few miles after the start).

What you described gives me a couple of ideas, but nothing solid.

(1) Try thin, running socks. I started with my riding socks, but I only had a couple of pairs and they were expensive. I now use the cheapish, knock-off "Champion" brand from Target. I usually don't move up to the heavier socks until the temperature gets below 20.

(2) How many miles do you have on your shoes? Some shoes break down after only 200 miles depending on you size and running style. You could have a "wear spot" on the inside of your shoe. It sucks to replace shoes after only few miles, but sometimes you have to.

Hope that helps.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
The only time I have gotten blisters was on marathon day when I ran a lot of the day in wet shoes/socks (there was a creek crossing a few miles after the start).

What you described gives me a couple of ideas, but nothing solid.

(1) Try thin, running socks. I started with my riding socks, but I only had a couple of pairs and they were expensive. I now use the cheapish, knock-off "Champion" brand from Target. I usually don't move up to the heavier socks until the temperature gets below 20.

(2) How many miles do you have on your shoes? Some shoes break down after only 200 miles depending on you size and running style. You could have a "wear spot" on the inside of your shoe. It sucks to replace shoes after only few miles, but sometimes you have to.

Hope that helps.
Right now I only have about 40 miles on these shoes. My next big run is this weekend, I'm planning on 8-10 mile (the most I've ever done in one run)

I'm planning on 4 miles tomorrow and Thur.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Body Glide will help. Make sure you are wearing some sort of wicking sock to get the sweat away from your foot.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Right now I only have about 40 miles on these shoes. My next big run is this weekend, I'm planning on 8-10 mile (the most I've ever done in one run)
One more thing you can try is duck tape. Slide a decent sized piece over the area in the shoe that is rubbing (sticky side away from your foot). I did that with a pair of shoes that rubbed my heel in a weird way. Or you can put the tape over your foot where you get the blister.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Here is where the blister keeps forming. It's only on my right foot.

My feel do sweat alot - I'll try some Baby powder
I'm flat footed and used to get a blister in the same spot. New shoes helped, but I still had some problems. Flat foot insoles probably would have fixed it, but I didn't want to pay for them. So I stacked two set of insoles and created a foot bed that is almost completely flat. I haven't had a blister since, even after running 25 miles of Leadville (as a note, don't try the Leadville 100 if you haven't run more than 5 miles at a time).

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
There is a marathon, but I was in the 100. I fell and hurt my knee four miles in and then dropped at 25 when I couldn't walk anymore.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
well this weekend was no different. I ran 7.5 miles yesterday (the most ever for me) and sure enough another blister in the same place. This time I put some baby powder in my shoe. I also had on a pair of cycling sock - and a pair of cotton running socks over top of those.

On top of that my hip is killing me. maybe I'm just not a distance runner

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
It could be that you're not. But I suspect that the shoes are still the problem. It sounds like the arch of the shoe is still too high for your feet so that part of your foot rubs on the arch of the shoe every stride. It's exactly the problem I had. Take them back to the shop and show them where you're getting the blister. They should be able to either modify the shoes, or if they can't do that than they sold you the wrong ones to begin with.

If you've got pain, even just a little bit, you'll change your stride and put additional stress on other parts of your body. After a while of this those parts of the body will start to get sore or you can injure them.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I'm with Bean. I think it must be the shoes. It sucks to have to prematurely retire a pair (especially if they were expensive) but sometimes you have to.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Two pairs of socks is the answer. I've been a running fool this winter and no blisters.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Off topic: I had been having blister problems on one toe while trail running. On the road, no problems whatsoever. My solution wasn't to try a second pair of socks (too much friction and movement in my case), but to wear toe socks (Injinji). BAM! Problem solved.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
I wanted to try the Injinji socks.....

I still might.

I'll be helping someone else train for a marathon in October, so I'll be doing some long runs with her, and might as well get the gear that works.

I just wish Injinji socks came in rainbow colors with sparkles.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Duck tape people, DUCK TAPE!

You don't need any fancy-schmancy socks.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I have some Coolmax socks that are two thin layers combined into one sock. Love 'em. REI used to sell them, but I can't find them on the website tonight.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
Duck tape people, DUCK TAPE!

You don't need any fancy-schmancy socks.

I used tape.....

it didn't friggin work for me... and actually tore the crap out of my little tootsies...

so bite me.

I want my rainbow socks.
To go along with my collection.

stars

I even have a pair of knee high argyle hot pink and black playboy bunny socks.

These socks, are of course, only for hashing, and not totally serious running.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
no, I'm actually being honest.

I figure why go buy new shoes, socks, bodyglide, special sunglasses, new treadmill, etc.... when I should start with a low cost possible solution?

Made sense to me.

It, unfortunately, didn't work for me. I'm not kidding... around mile 14 or 15, my toes were torn up and bleeding. This is not good on a day you've gotta run 20 miles.

New socks won't work for some people.
There a number of solutions for a number of people.... but not everything is going to work for everyone.

It's kind of like the first Batman and how he figured out that combinations of cosmetics were killing people.....

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
It's kind of like the first Batman and how he figured out that combinations of cosmetics were killing people.....
Hmm, I would've gone with the cures for hicupping. Some people eat sugar, others drink water upside down, others sing "The Wheels on the Bus" while jumping on one leg, etc.

The problem I see with duct tape is that it takes a LOT of time, effort, and vasoline to get it right and comfortable. In order to tape just one toe, I'd have to re-tape the b1tch numerous times, and then apply copius amounts of vasoline to lessen the rubbing against the adjacent toe. F***ing too much work. I'd much rather drop $10 on a pair of socks that I know will work.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
no, I'm actually being honest.

I figure why go buy new shoes, socks, bodyglide, special sunglasses, new treadmill, etc.... when I should start with a low cost possible solution?

Made sense to me.

It, unfortunately, didn't work for me. I'm not kidding... around mile 14 or 15, my toes were torn up and bleeding. This is not good on a day you've gotta run 20 miles.

New socks won't work for some people.
There a number of solutions for a number of people.... but not everything is going to work for everyone.

The proper response would have been "are not." :biggrin:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Regarding ducT tape, I have read a few stories of runners removing the tap after LONG runs (30+ miles), and having it take a layer or two of skin with it. :eek:
Wow!

I have had the opposite problem on occasion, where my sweat broke down the sticky stuff and it came loose.

As far as duck vs. duct, the name came from WWII, where...

"The original use was to keep the moisture out of the ammunition cases. Because it was waterproof, people referred to the tape as "Duck Tape." (first reference I found at Duct Tape 101).

I choose to honor this wonderful product with its original name rather than a bastardization.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Instead of a new thread I'll ask the question here.

I have a road race April 1st and the forcast as of now is Rain and 40 degrees. I know this can change, but I need to be prepared.

What the hell do I wear? I have never ran in the rain. I'm guessing being wet and 40 degrees I am going to be freezing. So if anyone has suggestions let me have them.

Thanks

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Instead of a new thread I'll ask the question here.

I have a road race April 1st and the forcast as of now is Rain and 40 degrees. I know this can change, but I need to be prepared.

What the hell do I wear? I have never ran in the rain. I'm guessing being wet and 40 degrees I am going to be freezing. So if anyone has suggestions let me have them.

Thanks
As far as I am concerned, that is the worst possible combination to run in. Cold ... whatever, rain ... meh, cold and rainy ... CRAP!

I was faced with that combo last night for a 7 mile training run and I chose to run it indoors on a 1/6 mile track. It felt like NASCAR indoors ... run, turn left ... run, turn left ...

Seriously, I haven't figured out a good clothing combo for cold and rainy. I'm interested to hear what people come up with.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
As far as I am concerned, that is the worst possible combination to run in. Cold ... whatever, rain ... meh, cold and rainy ... CRAP!

I was faced with that combo last night for a 7 mile training run and I chose to run it indoors on a 1/6 mile track. It felt like NASCAR indoors ... run, turn left ... run, turn left ...

Seriously, I haven't figured out a good clothing combo for cold and rainy. I'm interested to hear what people come up with.
I have trained indoors only for this on a treadmill. I figured cold no problem. The rain is what is bothering me. I am really worried about wet feet.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I have trained indoors only for this on a treadmill. I figured cold no problem. The rain is what is bothering me. I am really worried about wet feet.
You've ONLY trained on a treadmill? My god man, that's impressive. I despise running indoors. I have run during two snowstorms this winter rather than go inside.

I haven't had a problem with my feet being wet. The offroad marathon I did last year had a couple of creek crossings and my feet were wet for most of the race. I use breathable the budget Champion coolmax socks. I worry more about keeping warm (but not too warm) on a long run in those conditions. How long is your race? If you are only doing a 5k, than it probably isn't an issue. You can run like hell the whole time and stay warm.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
You've ONLY trained on a treadmill? My god man, that's impressive. I despise running indoors. I have run during two snowstorms this winter rather than go inside.

I haven't had a problem with my feet being wet. The offroad marathon I did last year had a couple of creek crossings and my feet were wet for most of the race. I use breathable the budget Champion coolmax socks. I worry more about keeping warm (but not too warm) on a long run in those conditions. How long is your race? If you are only doing a 5k, than it probably isn't an issue. You can run like hell the whole time and stay warm.
Half marathon, I did my last long run of 10 miles on Monday morning. I have a 7 mile tempo run Friday morning. Mentally the treadmill is tough, but I like that fact I am training at a specific pace.