Quantcast

Need Advice on Hydration Packs

write4bikes

Chimp
Jul 26, 2017
I'm looking into getting a hydration pack. What features do you like and dislike? For example, do I need a spine protector? A removable pad? Are certain width straps too bulky or not supportive enough? Are some mouthpieces better than others? That kind of thing. Tell me any and everything you like, dislike, recommend, or dissuade me from getting. Thanks a bunch!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I hate that any time I set my osprey down, the hose always goes in the dirt, the hose is extra-long so it can cross over your shoulder to the magnet, and then any time you take it off it disconnects and hangs down, much further than with a camelback, so it always seems to seek out the lowest point and end up in the dirt. The straps are dinky too. Most modern packs have decent pockets now for your various tools and things. Most of the modern packs from the major manufacturers are good, I don't see anyone really lagging. I have about 4-5 different hydration packs to choose from now for various conditions in winter and summer. Each is significantly different than the next and no one really does it all.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the insight. Especially you @SkaredShtles ...

He really is our most valuable member. I'd be lost without him.

Amazingly he has become less of a twat as he has grown older.

Opposite direction of what you would expect, but when you are born cuntimus maximus I guess you only have one way to grow from there.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Definitely get one that has a lower strap that goes around your waist, stomach etc. My current pack only has a strap that goes around my chest, and it flops around all over the place on any trail that has the slightest amount of tech. Other than that I buy whatever is cheapest...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Definitely get one that has a lower strap that goes around your waist, stomach etc. My current pack only has a strap that goes around my chest, and it flops around all over the place on any trail that has the slightest amount of tech. Other than that I buy whatever is cheapest...
Those work good in the winter under a jacket/jersey, but other than that, pretty much not at all.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I have the fancy Evoc one with the back protector.
Its fucking expensive and it didnt even come with a bladder so I had to order one (cheap 2L Zefal from CRC for 15eur) seperately after I got the pack in the mail which was pretty annoying...

That said it was very comfortable and didnt bounce around. Plenty of space and compartments are very practical. Bladder worked great and didnt leak as much as the Ogio and Camelbacks I had before.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Trampoline suspension if you can swing it. Makes for less sweat. Also, I never use my waste strap on my current Hydropack. If I do, its extremely loose to stop the straps from flapping. I don't like having a strap around my stomach when I'm huffing and puffing during a climb.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have the fancy Evoc one with the back protector.
Its fucking expensive and it didnt even come with a bladder so I had to order one (cheap 2L Zefal from CRC for 15eur) seperately after I got the pack in the mail which was pretty annoying...

That said it was very comfortable and didnt bounce around. Plenty of space and compartments are very practical. Bladder worked great and didnt leak as much as the Ogio and Camelbacks I had before.
I also have an Evoc, I selected it because it was available in a size medium which was important to me as I always use a waist strap. I do not remember if it came with a bladder or not. It's a nice pack for those who like to think they are organized and it will hold 2 120oz bladders with ease.

greenakina

Chimp
Jul 11, 2019
A hydration pack is not a necessity, but it is very convenient. There are also “drop in” hydration systems such as the Camelback Unbottle that can be used with nearly any pack. So there is no need to buy a specific hydration pack. The Unbottle and similar systems make every pack a hydration pack.