Quantcast

Need advice on wheel -re-build

foamy mojo

Chimp
Apr 2, 2008
Looking for some tips to re-build a laterally stiff XC/AM wheelset. I ride a lot of demo & UC - the current just isn't cuttin it.

My current set is King ISO disc hubs laced to Mavic 717s with straight gauge spokes. They are a few years old & I think probably worn out. They seem to be getting really flexy during hard cornering.

Any suggestions for a build that uses the King hubs with a different rim/spoke setup to strengthen up the lateral flex?

Bukkake - guess who????

foamy mojo
View Public Profile
Find all posts by foamy mojo

nmr8

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
They seem to be getting really flexy during hard cornering.
i'd go to bolt on hubs or tighten the heck out of your skewers. i'd bet most of your flex is from the dropout interface not from the spokes or rim.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I weigh about 200 lbs and am running the same set up (including fairly frequent rides in Santa Cruz on trails that don't exist!). I don't find a 717 to be too flexy for what it is - a lightweight XC rim.

When you say they seem to be "getting" flexy or worn out it sounds like you are saying they were once ok but over time they have gotten a bit wonky. If that is that case it could be a simply matter of reduced spoke tension - spokes stretch and loosen up a bit over time. You might consider just rebuilding with the same set-up and then being a little more diligent in checking tension, etc. But if you're looking for a new and stiffer rim suggestion, a 721 will have a weight penalty but is a pretty good call. You might also check out DT 5.1, which are much improved over earlier versions that a lot of people found prone to flat-spotting.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I run dt 340s with WTB laser disc fr front and rear. I ride cross country more than downhill (Broines, China Camp, Rockville etc.).

They are a little heavy, but they are very stiff and reliable. They haven't needed a tune since they were built.

foamy mojo

Chimp
Apr 2, 2008
Thanks for the feedback.

Based on everything I've heard, I think I'll re-build the wheels with the 5.1d hoops & triple butted spokes. The current build is about 3 years old & probably just worn out.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Drew:

I suggest the heaviest wheels you can buy. Why? Just because.

www.tagwheels.com. They're overpriced, WAY too heavy, and even if the hubs blow-out inside the warranty time, you still have to pay to have them serviced and repaired. Haha...

What about those Easton wheels? Decided against them?