Quantcast

Need advise on choosing a bike.

MOBEONER

Chimp
Apr 17, 2011
WILLIAMSBURG BROOKLYN
I posted this on the beginner section but I got no response

Finding a bike question.
My name is jason 28 yrs old 6' tall 220 and i am trying to find a bike that best fits me.
I live in NYC and i would like to find a bike that is conferrable in NYC streets and also can handle beginner down hill/trailing in parks.
I am looking to spend around $1500 on a used bike. any suggestion of bike i should be looking for and what size? thanks

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Have you gone to any shops to ride bikes around? That would be your best best, as the feel of the bike matters more than the brand. Hit every shop that you can and let them know that you are a beginner and what you are looking to ride. Most shops will help with getting you in the right direction for what fits you and you re comfortable.

Based on your initial question a 5-6" trail bike is going to be your best bet. Also know that getting the newest technology isn't necessarily important. As a beginner, you will not notice the difference for a while, and at that point you will likely have a good idea what you re looking for.

I would look into the following bikes (I'm sure others will chime in):

Yeti 575
Turner 5-Spot
Marin Quadrangle
GT Force
Giant Trance
Santa Cruz Heckler
Santa Cruz Nomad
Intense 5.5

That's all I can think of of-hand. Specialized, Cannondale, and other mass produced bikes are available as well. Just take the time to ride everything you can, because if it doesn't feel right you won't want to ride it.

**Oh, and don't tell the shops you are going to buy a used bike. They will never help you. That being said, if you can find a new bike that works for you, it won't hurt you.**

MOBEONER

Chimp
Apr 17, 2011
WILLIAMSBURG BROOKLYN
I used to own a Haro extreme X3 with upgraded suspension and hydraulic disk brakes and although I had issues getting the brakes to properly work I liked the feel of that bike and the rear shock had a knob where I would turn and stiffen the rear up for street use. It's been many years since then and I don't know what is tge new technology now adays. I will look Into the bikes u mentioned above.. Thanks

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There are lots out there, just for to three or four shops and try them out. Ask what lines they carry so you don't unnecessarily double up.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Is that your bike? Because that's a VERY specific application bike for a beginner...

MOBEONER

Chimp
Apr 17, 2011
WILLIAMSBURG BROOKLYN
I was browsing around bike shops and although i didn't get to try any bikes (due to the sales rep just looking to make a sale) i did get a chance to pick up a few. They had a specialized Swork (i believe) that was ridiculously expensive but it is probably one of the lightest bikes i have ever picked up, Its like nigh and day over my old Haro X3.

I have seen a few different bike fames and i would like to ask what is the cons and benefits of having the rear shock in different spots? for example

Attachments