Quantcast

NEED ADVISE: Sold a bike on Ebay and things seem suspicious

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
I sold a New 2008 Specialized Demo 7 on ebay a couple of weeks ago and then last week I finally received payment via paypal from the buyer. After receiving the money the buyer asked if I could send the item to another address which was different from what he had listed in both paypal and ebay. Just to confirm this I called the buyer and he told me the address he wanted it shipped to but then he said "can you tell me a little about the bike, like what type is it". This set of an alarm and now I'm worried to ship the bike. If I've already got the money in hand is there anyway I can still get scammed?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Document everything and call paypal for advice. If it were me I would only ship to the address listed on paypals invoice. My .02.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I wouldn't ship it. It sounds like someone got their ebay/paypal account hijacked.

Even though paypal gave you the money, they will not think twice about pulling it out of your account to give back to the real account owner (eventually ....after sitting on it for a while to collect interest). They will also take the money out of your bank account/etc if you have something linked and don't have enough funds.

Paypal sucks.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
check with paypal. unless the address he wants it shipped to is his job i wouldn't do it. if it is a scam and he did hijack someone's paypal/ebay account you could get screwed in the end (no pun intended!)

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
sure... no pun intended huh?

Whatever you do, do it soon. IMHO, I think someone DID hijack someone's paypal account. Err' on the side of caution especially with such a big ticket item.

You have 30 days to reverse the transaction w/o getting charged the paypal fees.

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
Thanks everyone for the info so far. I called ebay and paypal and they're telling me that if the customer goes in and changes their address to the one they want the bike shipped to all will be okay. Here's another thing, I was in Japan when the auction ended and I listed that in my description that it would take a week after the auction before i could ship it. Now if this were me I'd be contacting the seller (me) very quickly confirming when delivery will occur and all that jazz. With this situation I (the seller) have had to contact the buyer several times to get answers and a few of them have went unanswered. Paypal and Ebay don't seem to be that interested in opening an investigation on this either. You would think Paypal would attempt to contact the buyer to see if anything seemed fraudulent but they haven't.

As it stands right now I don't think I'm going to ship the bike until I get more answers, besides it doesn't seem like the buyer is any rush anyway haha! My thoughts are as long as I still have the bike in my garage the ball is in my court.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
It would have been better if they had at least overpaid you by $5000 and then asked you to wire transfer $4000 back to them. Then you would know for sure its fraud.

If the address is not a confirmed paypal address and something were to happen your SOL....

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
If you ship merchandise to an address other than what is listed on PayPal, you are not covered in the event of a problem; I'm guessing that's what pay Pal told you. The source of the payment is listed, not sure if they will give you the info.

Go to your bank before you ship the bike; ask them if there's any way you can be held accountable for returning the money. If someone highjacked an account to purchase your bike, they will require the money be refunded. As for your bike, don't count on getting it back if it's a scam.

get the confirmation from your bank that you're covered if you accept the funds.

One thing for sure, you already know this story reaks of dead and stinking fish.
turtle