Quantcast

need an easy shepherd's pie recipe

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Difficult to go wrong with shepherds pie but one thing I do when I make it is put in a little bit of curry powder enough to give it the flavour of curry but not enough to make it too spicy.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I lived off Shepherd's pie when I was in College.

When it comes to SP I like to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I don't like fancy shmancy ones...

1) I cook the meat (either ground beef or ground turkey) with your favorite spices and with some onions, salt, pepper if you like that.
2) Cook the potatoes and mash them
3) take a large corningware casserole dish and layer the pie like this:
Bottom: Meat
Middle: Cream Corn
Top: Mashed Potatoes

Leave a little hole on the potato layer, in the middle for when cooking in the over (so the juices can overflow if needed.

4) Cook in the oven for a few minutes so to browned the potatoes

Enjoy!!

PS: if you plan on serving it later...skip step 4 and do that only before serving it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
narlus said:
acadian, glad to see your single post is in the B&F forum. ;)

i would add peas as well. love peas!
Pretty much one of the only forums on RM where most posts are related to the Forum in question!!

I'm not a big Pea fan - but if you like them, would definitely be a nice addition. Same for carrots...some people like to add carrots to SP.

My favorite local Irish pub serves SP - unfortunately I don't like it. :( They use tooooo much gravy, crappy (e.g. real fatty) ground beef and not enough potatoes. It’s like eating soup!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Acadian said:
Pretty much one of the only forums on RM where most posts are related to the Forum in question!!

I'm not a big Pea fan - but if you like them, would definitely be a nice addition. Same for carrots...some people like to add carrots to SP.

My favorite local Irish pub serves SP - unfortunately I don't like it. :( They use tooooo much gravy, crappy (e.g. real fatty) ground beef and not enough potatoes. It’s like eating soup!
well, that's pretty authentic to the stuff you'd get in a pub in ireland, although they tend to use lamb (and it's not always ground).