Quantcast

Need an opinion: 2021 Fox DHX2 or RS Super Deluxe coil

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
This is for a Megatower with Cascade link.

I've pretty much decided to abandon air shocks forever. I currently have an RS Super Deluxe Air on the frame with Tractive tune. While the custom tuning isn't bad, I'm also a little underwhelmed (despite getting a retune done already).

I can get my hands on a 2021 Fox DHX2 and based on what I've read, the reviews are good. Coils are easy to get and there are options for lighter steel.

I can also get a Super Deluxe coil. It'll be cheaper and it'll leave room to get the Tractive tune again since I'm willing it try it on a coil shock. But it uses 1.5" coils so options are limited unless I just stick with regular steel.

FYI, I'm 218-220 lbs. That means running a 600 or 650 spring.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I prefer the Fox but with a 650 pound spring the Rock Shox might have a better rebound circuit to handle that heavy spring. This is just in theory since I don’t ride springs that heavy.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Hmmm... with the Fox, I'm kinda SOL when it comes to the custom tuning, whereas I can get Steve at Vorsprung to beef up the Super Deluxe.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ask him about the useable adjustable range with a stock rebound tune running a 650. He might recommend valving it firmer so you have good range and don’t have loads of lsr and very little hsr comparatively speaking. He would know best.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Hmmm... with the Fox, I'm kinda SOL when it comes to the custom tuning, whereas I can get Steve at Vorsprung to beef up the Super Deluxe.
:confused:

It shows 6 rebound tunes for the factory x2,
3 for the performance series.

The shock should be avaliable with the "firm" rebound rather than the "medium"
I'd be inclined to try the JCR010 or JCR011, rebound stacks as they aren't preloaded.

The ecc010 or ecc011 compression stacks might be worth a test.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Rumor thread on Vital has spy shots of new Super Deluxe air and coil. It's getting HSC adjust, although IIRC it's only 3 clicks.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For whatever it's worth, running a 2021 DHX2 on a 2020 Enduro frame with a 550lb coil. The Fox manual recommends 3-4 clicks out of 8 for HSR (from closed) and 3-4 clicks out of 18 (from closed) for LSR. That's a REALLY slow setting. A "normal" feeling rebound setting is around 4-5 HSR and 9 LSR. Basically middle of the range. For another 100lb of spring force, I'd have no hesitations about a getting a proper rebound setting on a long travel trail bike with those circuits.

This is the first shock I've used where you can definitely tell how EVEN the changes in damping force are with the whole range of the clickers. The dyno plots validate that observation.

Only took 20 fucking years.

For some reason, the corresponding compression adjustments on Grip2 damper in the Fox 38 is as useless as an asshole on your elbow.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
For whatever it's worth, running a 2021 DHX2 on a 2020 Enduro frame with a 550lb coil. The Fox manual recommends 3-4 clicks out of 8 for HSR (from closed) and 3-4 clicks out of 18 (from closed) for LSR. That's a REALLY slow setting. A "normal" feeling rebound setting is around 4-5 HSR and 9 LSR. Basically middle of the range. For another 100lb of spring force, I'd have no hesitations about a getting a proper rebound setting on a long travel trail bike with those circuits.

This is the first shock I've used where you can definitely tell how EVEN the changes in damping force are with the whole range of the clickers. The dyno plots validate that observation.

For some reason, the corresponding compression adjustments on Grip2 damper in the Fox 38 is as useless as an asshole on your elbow.
Wonder what happens to the hsc adjuster if you add another vvc leaf

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Wonder what happens to the hsc adjuster if you add another vvc leaf
I picked up an "E-Bike tune" shim and VVC leaf, which I assume are stiffer, for the Grip2 damper on the 38 that I have yet to install. The fork is going back anyway because the bushings are a damn mess. So I'll baseline it when I get it back then install the stiffer tune if necessary.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I liked the x2 vvc.. but didn't play nice with my leverage, and DOES not fit M9 even with modifications to pocket.....if I could get a coil reservoir to fit the m9 I'd try it...the adjustments worked really well and mid was good.
Back to ccdb and an avy shortly for the m9....

Point is the new x2 felt really good, just ramped out on 951 air + progressive curve...or else I'd still be running it...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I picked up an "E-Bike tune" shim and VVC leaf, which I assume are stiffer, for the Grip2 damper on the 38 that I have yet to install. The fork is going back anyway because the bushings are a damn mess. So I'll baseline it when I get it back then install the stiffer tune if necessary.
Tight bushings or what?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Careful with the version of the super deluxe if you want tractive tune.
RS have a new "hotdog" piston "upgrade" that has far too much flow and is not compatible with tractive tune.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Careful with the version of the super deluxe if you want tractive tune.
RS have a new "hotdog" piston "upgrade" that has far too much flow and is not compatible with tractive tune.

I've got that HotDog tune SuperDeluxe on my new Mega. Interesting to know that its not compatible - although I'm actually pretty impressed with that shock stock anyway.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I've got that HotDog tune SuperDeluxe on my new Mega. Interesting to know that its not compatible - although I'm actually pretty impressed with that shock stock anyway.
What is your frame and LR? Just wondering if your thoughts are inline with the empty-beer brigade?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What is your frame and LR? Just wondering if your thoughts are inline with the empty-beer brigade?
Frame is a V4 27.5 Nukeproof Mega. LR curve is shown here (manufacturer curve).

Leverage.jpg

I haven't tried a MegNeg but actually don't feel like I want to change the shock at all just now. It does the job well without any weird characteristics.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver

I think they finally put together a shock that can have some custom work done to it or if left stock, can still be decent.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah I would normally agree but right now with the borders closed, I'd have to ship a broken Avy shock I have sitting in a parts bin. Then add the cost of rebuilding, revalve, repair and slight eye-to-eye adjustment....too much $$$.
That was intended as a tongue in cheek “avy is the solution to everything” 2000s era spicy take. Not denying they aren’t a good supplier, but there are far more good choices than 2005 now

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Tight bushings or what?
No clue. Just feels like swampy ass and the usual air spring/lowers greasing and oiling didn't do anything, so back it goes. I don't have the time to fuck with these things over and over these days.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
That was intended as a tongue in cheek “avy is the solution to everything” 2000s era spicy take. Not denying they aren’t a good supplier, but there are far more good choices than 2005 now
Ahh gotcha...

When I got my Kona Operator 29 with bone stock RS suspension, after the first few rides I thought "whoa, the RS Super Deluxe and Boxxer WC aren't too bad at all!"

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
When I got my Kona Operator 29 with bone stock RS suspension, after the first few rides I thought "whoa, the RS Super Deluxe and Boxxer WC aren't too bad at all!"
I'm so used to immediately tinkering or modifying any stock suspension, that I'm still confused that all I've done with my Zeb and Super Deluxe is air pressures and a couple of clicks here or there.

However, I've got to stop procrastinating and at least drop the Zeb lowers and make sure there's oil in there.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
No clue. Just feels like swampy ass and the usual air spring/lowers greasing and oiling didn't do anything, so back it goes. I don't have the time to fuck with these things over and over these days.
I’m trying to imagine what that feels like.
Swamp ass California style? Like with some Habeñero hot sauce? We have the Swiss version but it involves a lot of cheese.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Do those rockshox pistons still feature that highly digressive rebound shim stack? So highly preloaded they hardly ever even open?
Not a charger cartridge, but my Yari rebound is wide open and it can't "rapid recovery" quickly enough.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Not a charger cartridge, but my Yari rebound is wide open and it can't "rapid recovery" quickly enough.
I remember from the time I replaced the Moco block on my Yari with an aftermarket damper with shims, needle and most importantly with a check valve (Splug from Novyparts) that the rebound became much faster despite the fact that the upgrade did not change anything on the rebound circuit... my conclusion was that the Moco block was choking the oil flow on the rebound stroke.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Frame is a V4 27.5 Nukeproof Mega. LR curve is shown here (manufacturer curve).

View attachment 158924

I haven't tried a MegNeg but actually don't feel like I want to change the shock at all just now. It does the job well without any weird characteristics.
I have a SuperDeluxe Ultimate incoming with a new frame. I am curious about the MegNeg as the frame is sorta progressive but will give it a shot in the stock setup first.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I remember from the time I replaced the Moco block on my Yari with an aftermarket damper with shims, needle and most importantly with a check valve (Splug from Novyparts) that the rebound became much faster despite the fact that the upgrade did not change anything on the rebound circuit... my conclusion was that the Moco block was choking the oil flow on the rebound stroke.
Perhaps. I've been monkeying around with hacking the Moco since it would seem feasible to and could be fun to play with. I actually came across this little diddy from ze germans that I thought was interesting.

1618431265168.png

What did you think of the Novyparts Splug? Any good? The Yari is certainly not anything special, but at least the air spring is OK, minus the massive ramp when run at 180mm since both lowers are sealed. The Fast Suspension upgrade looks interesting as well. My concern is that both upgrades would still result in a fork with a fair amount of ramp due to the 2X sealed lowers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a new yari damper I'm going to need to basically give away here in a few days.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Perhaps. I've been monkeying around with hacking the Moco since it would seem feasible to and could be fun to play with. I actually came across this little diddy from ze germans that I thought was interesting.

View attachment 159044

What did you think of the Novyparts Splug? Any good? The Yari is certainly not anything special, but at least the air spring is OK, minus the massive ramp when run at 180mm since both lowers are sealed. The Fast Suspension upgrade looks interesting as well. My concern is that both upgrades would still result in a fork with a fair amount of ramp due to the 2X sealed lowers.
Ze Como is certainly a step in the right direction if you want to improve the damping properties of your Yari. I have no experience with it so that I cannot comment much about it...

About the Splug, it allowed me to find the right balance between lsc and hsc. With the Moco it was either too much hsc with the right amount of lsc or too little lsc with the right amount of hsc... rebound was also improved with moar plushness and traction. The Splug is easy to work on if you want to change the shimstack.

As you mentioned, neither the Splug or the Como will change the progressive nature of the sealed lower legs. To fix that you could get a RS Charger RC2, which would also replace the Moco block. Other options are Secus / Smashpot or even a Fast SC4 cartridge, but these are more expensive.