Quantcast

Need an opinion

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
So I'm looking at getting into road riding but my budget is tight. Although I did find (what i think is) a decent road bike. It's an 02 fuji cross. I know its a cyclocross bike but the shop said they'll change out the tires for me. It's all 105 components. They're selling it for 650. How is this for a starter road bike?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
keep looking. you should be able to find a 1 - 2yr old road bike equipped with 105 for about the same price.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
How did it feel? Fit and feel are far more important on a road bike than on a MTB. Get a solid frame that fits/feels good and deal with the components. If necessary, upgrade them bit by bit. If you start logging any kind of serious miles, your body will thank you for paying more attention to fit than to components.

As far as the fuji goes... fuji makes good bikes, so the bike itself is probably a decent bike. For a more recreational road rider (i.e. someone who's not super competitive or a racer), I don't think there's much difference in performance between a cross bike and a road bike - at least I couldn't tell much (assuming they are spec'ed similarly). So is it a decent starter bike? Sure, especially if it fits you well. Is it a good deal? eh, not a bad deal, but you can probably do better.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
LordOpie said:
Please don't buy a bike based on the components.
That's not why I'm buying the bike. The frame is a perfect size for me, and the shop is willing to change out components to ensure maximum ride comfort. I really only want to road ride to improve my mountain biking (for now at least). And I'd really like to not spend much over 500. Selection is kind of limited locally and I don't know about buying a bike on ebay if I can't see it and try it out...