Quantcast

Need Beginner / Intermediate BMX / Mountain Bike Trails (near Westminster)

Y2J

Chimp
Jun 8, 2005
Hey Guys... I moved to Colorado a few years ago and I am getting back into riding. I used to ride BMX when I was younger (10 - 16 - I'm now 32) - flat and dirt then got into mountain biking.

Anyways I've been riding some local MB trails (nothing fancy - more or less just to get back into riding) but want to get back into the dirt scene.

I have a BMX bike I picked up a few years ago that I want to start riding again as well so what I am looking for are places relatively close to Westminster (but willing to travel / drive further if necessary).

In regards to BMX I am looking for trails / tracks with some good jumps but beginner trails / jumps. I was great back in the day but considering that was 15 - 20 years ago things have changed - you never saw jumps (i.e. doubles) the size they are today back then so I need to find something more my "speed" so to speak. From what little information I have found thus far, it seems Lake Arbor might be a good place to start. In addition to having some good beginner jumps / trails I'm also looking for places where the people that ride there are cool. I suspect I am older then most people riding (at least BMX) nowadays so I am looking for places where they people are cool, willing to help out, etc.

In regards to the MB I am looking for some good trails with jumps, logs (to bunnyhop), etc. The trails I have been riding thus far are flat (gravel / dirt) but nothing challenging. I used to live in NY and rode in Bethpage State Park (I doubt anyone here is familar with it but if you are then you would know the trails I am referring to and looking for - the ones that ran parallel to the paved bike path). Those trails were pretty narrow (i.e. single rider) but had some jumps and a lot of logs to bunnyhop / jump over - The best trail I have ever ridden.

So if anyone can help get me pointed in the right direction it would be appreciated. I am planning on breaking out the BMX bike this weekend and revisit some flatland riding to get back in the swing of things (I used to compete in the AFA back in the days - so I am / was very experienced). But I plan on heading to some trails within the next 2 weeks or so.

Thanks!

NORTON

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Littleton CO
Sounds like you found the right spot- Lake Arbor has lines of all sizes, plus some one-hit stuff down towards the lake that is great practice. Everytime I have been there, the people are really cool, not to mention really really skilled. Only the kids on motos are a pain but if you treat them with respect they usually just go away. Bring a good attitude and all will be well.

There's a place called "The V" in Aurora that was perfect for beginners but I haven't been there in 2 seasons now, so I don't know how it is riding.

Y2J

Chimp
Jun 8, 2005
Thanks, that's good to know. I plan on heading somewhere (most likely Lake Arbor) the weekend of the 25th. I want to do some flat riding this weekend to get accustomed to the BMX bike again as I haven't really ridden one in about 15+ years. I'll be away next weekend but definately want to hit the dirt the following weekend.

So if anyone here is going to be heading up that way, or have other recommendations, let me know - The only people I know that ride, ride road bikes or paved paths, so I'm also looking to meet people who ride dirt.

Also, do you think I need a helmet? I NEVER rode with a helmet when I was younger, only when I competed as you had to, but I know these trails are a lot more different / difficult then what I was used to riding back then. Of course from a safety perspective gear is good - I guess it's more of a question of if I show up at Lake Arbor with my BMX bike without a helmet would that piss people off? Since this will be the first dirt riding I have done in a long time, essentially I'll be a newbie at this, so of course I will respect all the riders but don't want to come into their turf and start out on the wrong foot right away.

NORTON

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Littleton CO
helmet is optional but highly recommended, personally I wear a helmet everytime i jump or DH. I have one of those skateboard-type helmets and it gets the job done. Usually knee/shin pads on also. No one will care what kind of lid you have on. And besides, it's your head, put whatever helmet you want on it.