Quantcast

Need bike advise for a friend….

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Need bike advise for a friend….

A good friend of mine (non-monkey) is looking to buy a bike that is capable of downhill & freeride runs, but can still be used for trail riding. He likes the AC1 that I just bought but here’s the thing…..he’s a big dude; around 6’5” and the 8 year old Mongoose hardtail that he is currently riding is a 21.5” frame (it’s huge) and he is having a tough time finding something that fits him.

He’s looking to spend around 1500-2000 for a bike with a coil shock and around 6” of travel.

Any ideas?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Iron Horse SGS large or big hit large, if he's looking for used stuff. I have a 6'9" buddy on my old large big hit and they're tough as all hell. At his size he won't have a problem riding them as trailbikes.

The large ACs are really big, too, though, aren't they?

MD

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I would also agree with the big hit. As it comes in a big size and the rear 24 inch wheel is stronger than a 26 inch wheel. Maybe not THE best bike for what your describing, but its deff. the best given the fact that hes a big dude.

Maybe a Rocky Mountain Rm6? Or a gemini?

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
not a gemini those are LIGHT weight dh race bikes. i think the bighit would be a good bike for him cuz its strong and tough and it rides nice. not sure bout the rm6 because w/ the trhustlink i heard those are weak and he might end up breaking it

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
MikeD said:
MD
Ayup, my medium AC is pretty dang big.

jeb4 -- Since he likes yours, he might wanna check out a large.

good luck to him whatever he picks.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Sorry to bring up this thread again, but with a new job and family in town for the holidays, I haven't had much time to check RM (and this thread).

So....... did your 6'9" buddy have to change some stuff around to make the large Bighit fit him (stem, post, etc)? My friend sat on a large Bighit and it looked WAY too small for him. I'd be interested in hearing how your friend had the bike set up.

As for him getting an AC like mine......I think that he'd totally be up for that, but I just bought mine new, but it's a 2003, so it was almost a third of the original price....the AC's that we could find were all mediums and way too pricey.

I should also mention that he's looking for a new bike, not a used one...

I guess that I should ask...how much does a person's inseem play a part in all of this? He must have one heckuva big inseam because I (at 5'8") can't even straddle the top tube on his current bike.....forget about even riding it around the block!

Thanks for the posts about the XL Bullit. I hadn't thought of that one! I'll give him a call and see if we can find one locally for him to test ride!

Any more ideas or comments that could help?

Thanks for the posts! Any additional help is appreciated!

jeb4

MikeD said:
Iron Horse SGS large or big hit large, if he's looking for used stuff. I have a 6'9" buddy on my old large big hit and they're tough as all hell. At his size he won't have a problem riding them as trailbikes.

MD

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
As the others said, Big Hit.
I loved mine to death and I had a hard time selling it.
Its a great freeride bike and a good dh bike.
Main reason I sold it is because of the 24" rear wheel, which is great for dh riding and freeriding but isnt to great for dh racing.
If I didnt have plans to focus more on racing next year I would have never sold it.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Big Hit has a 24" TT...don't think you'll find much longer than that in a production bike. My friend slapped a 100mm Azonic stem I had laying around on it (actually, the bike had shipped to me that way, and I put a smaller one on for myself, and the bike was still really too big for me at 5'11") and it works fine for him as a DH bike that he still climbs around on in the course of longer shuttle rides.

For reference, he has a custom-built all-round 4" bike with a 25" TT and what must be around a 90-100mm stem.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You know how threads get sent to the top of the forum when you post something new in them? That's why people post "bump" or "top," to get a thread back on the face of the known RM world.

MD