Quantcast

Need bike help for a mutant.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I came off a Foes FXR last year. I loved it except for one glaring issue. At 23.5" EFFECTIVE top tube it was still too short.

I'm 6'4" 230 pounds. And I have a tendency to break frames...when I was 30 pounds lighter. I'm looking more for a xc/all mountain bike that will be mainly used for climbing but that I can abuse like a red headed step child on the way down. I rode an XL blur that fit me to the T three years ago at Interbike, but I doubt that the blur can handle my weight and abusive riding style. I love the VPP system so that it kind of left the Intense 6.6 or the Nomad, and on a long shot maybe even the VppFree.

Intense 6.6...exactly what I"m looking for, Vpp, stout build, medium travel... but the one downside again is that the Large is still only a 23.5. Question is, is that a same feeling 23.5 as the Foes FXR Large?

Nomad...also exactly what I'm looking for, Vpp, Stout, medium Travel, and XL size that looks like it will fit me....but goddamn I hate that top tube. plus ...on SCs website...the nomad is stupid expensive compared to the Vppfree and the blur. And if you choose the DHX shock, frame alone goes for 1900...what the Intense sells for.

VppFree...VPP, Stout, has a XL size, but too much travel, don't want a 150mm rear spacing, geometry isn't what I'm looking for, too slack in the HA.

P.S. anyone know how comparable the Vpp and the Dw Link ride? Iron Horse may be another option.

Any help would be appreciated. I got money burning a hole in my pocket.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i have a 6.6 in a large.... I am 6'2 240 lbs and iut fits me fine ...i have set it up to be almost the same size as my heckler which is an XL frame. I used a set back setpost and a 70mm stem... you could if you had to run up to a 100mm stem with out much problem. see if you can find a way to test ride it, it does have some ride

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I know you like the VPP, but what about a Heckler?

I'm 6'6", 250 and it fits pretty nicely. Definitely beefy enough to take some serious abuse. It's not particularly light, but it climbs just fine for me.

Finding adequate frames sucks for us bigger people. I'm going through the same issues looking for a decent XL freeride bike. The choices are slim outside the world of Santa Cruz Bikes.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I'm 6'7" and 265... I ride a Rotec for my DH bike and I know they're coming out with a FR bike...I just don't know when it will be in production, but a Large will be able to fit me. And it'll have 2-3 ring compatibility too! With a 1.5 headtube, so a nice SC fr fork would be in order!

But, since you want something NOW! I can only suggest looking at Cove bikes...I ride a G-spot as my Enduro/FR rig and it fits pretty well. I believe it's an 03 XL frame. Toss a 5-6" travel fork that you can dial down for climbing (I put a 66RC on there...no travel adjust!....makes climbing a b*tch...) and you'll be set!

Good luck. I know how it feels... :mad:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you don't need full-squish, there's a guy here who builds custom bikes for large, abusive riders... waltworks.com

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
LordOpie said:
If you don't need full-squish, there's a guy here who builds custom bikes for large, abusive riders... waltworks.com

One of the nicest hardtails made too...

And they come with 29er wheels...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Take a look at the IH MKIII. I am 6'4" 240lbs and I thought the thing would crumble under me when I first looked at it. it looks very weak, but it's far from it.

I haven't spent any true trail time on one yet, but it feels very solid under me and pedals great.

You might also consider one of the IH 7points depending on what you want it to handle. I am racing a Yakuzza for DH this year and want to pick up an MKIII for my all mountain trail bike.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Why don't you consider a VP-Free? If you are as burly as your say, the VP-Free is a stouter frame than any XC/Trail bike. It pedals extremely well on the back end, although my 888 bounces a bit.

I had considered replacing the 888 for the winter with a Z1 or a 36, and that would have made the bike very trail worthy.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I'm 6'3" and ride a large 7point. It has a 24" top tube and I've ridden it xc with the stock stem. I've got a 90mm on order now as well but you can read my review from a few months back http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125303&highlight=7point

I'm putting it on a little diet for my upcoming trip west to include a lighter rear axle, the new stem, smaller front rotor, saddle, lighter tires, etc. It sits at 37 lbs now but it will probably sub-34 for the trip.