Quantcast

need excel help

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
so i'm working with a gigantic spreadsheet for my climatology research paper and i need to do some reorganization to make it easier to put everything into charts.

what i'm trying to do is copy the data in one row and when i paste it into a different sheet i want that same data to go into a column instead of a row. is there an easy way to do this? i'm working with monthly data over the past 30 years with 15 different elements, so putting everything in manually is too much of a pain in the ass.

edit: nevermind, hooray for google!

Last edited:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
what the ****, i made a graph and for whatever reason the data near the end just drops off. when you look at the spreadsheet it's all there and there weren't any jumps in the data i selected so i don't understand why it isn't showing up properly. i've also had some annoying problems with excel telling me my stuff isn't formatted properly, how do i fix that without it rounding all of my data off on me? the spreadsheet contains text and numbers so i can't just format the entire thing as one or the other i'm guessing.

anyone got any ideas? i'd like to at least get this figured out before going to bed to catch a couple hours of sleep before class/continuing to work on this paper. (well maybe not because it's early, but i would like some help sooner rather than later as this paper is due on wednesday and i won't have a life until it's done)

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It won't round your data off if you format the cells as numbers and select some decimal points. Actually, it won't round anything off anyway, it'll just display rounded-off numbers.

I virtually guarantee that the "missing" data off the graph is formatted as something other than a number. Probably as text. Select your cells that contain numbers, right click, "format cells," select "number" and choose your number of decimal places.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
correctly formatting the missing data didn't do anything to help it, i had to just go through and reenter it. it could be a glitch with the program, because i've selected all of the numerical data and had it formatted as numbers.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
correctly formatting the missing data didn't do anything to help it, i had to just go through and reenter it. it could be a glitch with the program, because i've selected all of the numerical data and had it formatted as numbers.
Could be the range of cells required for the graph are not properly selected....

Or something.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
ok, so i need some help fixing the labeling on the x-axis on most of my graphs. i've tried everything that i can think of, but nothing has worked.

so most of my data looks about like this, with the labels for the x-axis on all graphs being the months in the first column.

i set up the graph properly, but the labels for the x-axis show up like so.

if i set the formatting for the graph to date it thinks the data is daily, not monthly. i think i'd probably be able to fix it by manually reentering the months in that column and formatting it as text, but with a couple hundred entries on each sheet that would be a pain in the ass.