Quantcast

Need girl advice! - What armor do you wear?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
3,316
36
Spreckels, CA
My girlfriend is going to be graduating in 2 weeks here, and since she just got her new bike built up, I wanted to get her some protection as a grad present. Is there one brand over another that's more comfortable for girls? What size do all you 5'10", 130-140lb ladies wear?? Preferable looking for something short sleave rather than long, but any advice is good.

I dig my 661 assault pressure suit for summer time, but I don't have boobs or anything like that so I have no idea what works? :help:
 

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
1,507
0
south lake tahoe, ca
I'm a similar build. just a tad lighter. i wear roach arm/kneed pads and 661 assault suit.


i have no complaints. the only problem i have is with arm pads. just wish they were a tiny bit tighter on the upper arm. guess it just means i need to bulk up more.
 

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
308
0
East County via East Coast
bdamschen said:
My girlfriend is going to be graduating in 2 weeks here, and since she just got her new bike built up, I wanted to get her some protection as a grad present. Is there one brand over another that's more comfortable for girls? What size do all you 5'10", 130-140lb ladies wear?? Preferable looking for something short sleave rather than long, but any advice is good.

I dig my 661 assault pressure suit for summer time, but I don't have boobs or anything like that so I have no idea what works? :help:

i would also get the full arms instead of half arms...
 

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
308
0
East County via East Coast
bdamschen said:
My girlfriend is going to be graduating in 2 weeks here, and since she just got her new bike built up, I wanted to get her some protection as a grad present. Is there one brand over another that's more comfortable for girls? What size do all you 5'10", 130-140lb ladies wear?? Preferable looking for something short sleave rather than long, but any advice is good.

I dig my 661 assault pressure suit for summer time, but I don't have boobs or anything like that so I have no idea what works? :help:

well this 5'4" 140 lb rider wears a size small Dianese upper (the 05 model). light and breathable. the spine protection is unparalled. if you look at the TLD, for example, the back protection isn't nearly as long. i value my spine, thankyaverymuch! the new 661 high end suits look cool, too (it's really similar to Dianese).

stay away from rockgardn...TOO bulky.

as far as leg pads...i wear the 661 knee-only protection. i like the mobility it offers vs. a full leg pad. of course, if i'm going to a place like bootleg for the weekend, i'll pull out my full-legs and wear those.
 

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
1,808
1
stephanie said:
well this 5'4" 140 lb rider wears a size small Dianese upper (the 05 model). light and breathable. the spine protection is unparalled. if you look at the TLD, for example, the back protection isn't nearly as long. i value my spine, thankyaverymuch! the new 661 high end suits look cool, too (it's really similar to Dianese).

stay away from rockgardn...TOO bulky.

as far as leg pads...i wear the 661 knee-only protection. i like the mobility it offers vs. a full leg pad. of course, if i'm going to a place like bootleg for the weekend, i'll pull out my full-legs and wear those.
I second the dainese!! Best stuff out there. It costs more than all the other brands, but you absolutely get what you pay for with this stuff. I have found that it holds up much better and will last longer than other armour jackets. I also advocate the dainese bib lowers as well. You knee guards will never slip or twist again with these guys, and you get a bit of hip bone protection.

I have two uppers, one is now approaching 6 years old!!! And is still bomber, I wear it for dirt biking as well, and I have one of the new models with the hard chest plate. Both are super!

One more thing, I find that the Dainese moves with you better, even though with the upper and bib lowers your pretty much wearing a full suit. It doesn't hinder mobility at all and is really comfy!
 
stephanie said:
stay away from rockgardn...TOO bulky.
I LOVE my Rockgardn. Dainese was WAY too small in the chest. The only other body armor with that level of protection that somewhat worked was TLD. Yeah, Dainese and TLD have more meshy material. So I guess Rockgardn is more "bulky." Though their armor is getting more and more meshy every year. But my boobs wouldn't squish enough for Dainese (unless I wanted the torso and arms to be draping off me rather than fitting) and TLD was still pretty uncomfortable.
 

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
308
0
East County via East Coast
i have big boobs (d), and my dianese fits great...maybe different models of it are a little different? my friend lisa had a rockgardn and it definitely seemed more roomy in the chest, though :)
 
stephanie said:
i have big boobs (d), and my dianese fits great...maybe different models of it are a little different? my friend lisa had a rockgardn and it definitely seemed more roomy in the chest, though :)
Which model do you have? I will definitely reconsider Dainese for future reference. Though I must say I still think my Rockgardn (from last year) is great and this year's is even better!
 

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
308
0
East County via East Coast
bikegrrl said:
Which model do you have? I will definitely reconsider Dainese for future reference. Though I must say I still think my Rockgardn (from last year) is great and this year's is even better!
you know, you're right. i was thinking of my friend lisa's, and hers was at least two years old....i checked out the website and the new ones look really neat...i like the pocket in the kidney belt and the fact that you can remove some of the pads to customize for different types of riding.

i can't remember the name of my dainese, but it has the hard chest plate and back protector.
 

heather123

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
9
0
I'm 5' 8" 129# and have both the 661 shoet sleeve and now the rockgardn flak jacket. Problems I had with the 661 were no rib protection no hard plate behind the chest protection, no way to adjust the fit of the arms and no scapular protection. So I added rib protection and a hard plate behind the chest. This worked great and saved me when I supermaned into a tree on my right side, no damage. But I wanted something with more protection. I tried on the small Dianese safety jacket V but it was too tight in the chest but fit the arms,but not in the elbows, no rib protection and the scapular protection is minimal. I went with the rockgardn flak jacket in s/m size due to its rib portection, hard scapular protection, adjustable arm length, ability to remove the arms, upper arm adjustment straps and larger chest protection. I also purchased a moisture wicking shirt from McDavid ( Hexpad) to wear under it. It provides extra protection on the sterum were the zipper is ,upper rib protection, collarbone , shoulder and upper arm protection. It also helped me fill out the s/m size. The flak jacket comes in Junior sizes but lacks the scapular protection. It is very versitale, the back can be removed, it can be worn as a full jacket or short sleeve. I wear roach FR for leg and arms. I have alot of armour and have had to sew or creat things to make it work and the rockgardn is the first I have not had to do anything to. I'm a bit of a safety nut since I'm a certified Athletic Trainer and a Physical therapist. So I went with the most protection available. Hope this helps!
 

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
138
0
california
I'm curious when you all wear your armour. I have full arms and leg armour but I never wear it. I tell myself I'll wear it when I practice downhill on a particularly gnarly trail. But when I'm just out riding the trails I never think "gosh, I should bring my armour." Maybe it would make a difference if I only had elbow/knee protection. I really don't want to ride around in full armour, yet I bought it to protect myself.

Anyway, just curious when you put on your armour and when you go without.
 
zoey said:
I'm curious when you all wear your armour. I have full arms and leg armour but I never wear it. I tell myself I'll wear it when I practice downhill on a particularly gnarly trail. But when I'm just out riding the trails I never think "gosh, I should bring my armour." Maybe it would make a difference if I only had elbow/knee protection. I really don't want to ride around in full armour, yet I bought it to protect myself.
One of the benefits of my Rockgardn body armor is that the arm protection can be detached and worn without the chest/torso/back protection. I ALWAYS wear leg pads. Plus I wear my arm pads if I'm pushing my limits very much, and full body armor if I'm REALLY pushing my limits.
 

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
118
0
Riverside, CA
I always push myself when on my DH bike. For my own safety, my rule is, ride a DH bike, wear the armor!

I have a Dianese Safety Jacket Next size large. I am 5'8 170# and a D cup. My next one will be the Dianese Racecut Next Jacket size M. It is a little lighter and cooler.