Quantcast

need good 1/8" chain that is lower-profile than 710SL

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I have a KMC 710SL chain that has served me well.

I just picked up a Gusset 12T rear cog (for my Hadley SS hub) and the 710 is too tall.. the bottom of it's plates grind on the lip of the cog.

I'm not super familiar with different 1/8" chains... so what are the options for chains that are as good quality, lighter, and SMALLER than this one?

It needs to be strong enough for DIRT; don't do grinds.

thx guys

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
back in a day when i got a gusset SS kit, i had to grind it down a little bit all around to make my chain fit. if you know what i'm trying to say. it worked perfect.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
thanks for the tip... I guess I could dremel the heck out of it.

now that i'm looking, i guess it will be tough to find a lighter 1/8" chain than the 710SL.

-r

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
you can run your koolchain upsidedown for a lower profile, but the dremel thing is the better way.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
right now I'm running a little "YBN Narrow" 1/8" chain, whatever that means... Just some Taiwan cheapie. but it's quite a bit smaller than my old 710sl, and around the same weight I believe. The price was right too.

KMC makes some other 1/8 chains that are smaller too, but heavier. I think all of those colored chains they have out are about the same size as this cheap YBN one I have actually.

...and you know, that's one reason I never bought into the super high dollar "SS" (actually like 3-6spd) hubs from Hadley, Chris King, or Hope, they aren't dedicated enough to our version of singlespeeding it! None have 1pc drivers you can use, and 12t cogs like that are hard to use without the proper super low-profile spacers. I ran a 12t cog on an Eastern26 14mm hub for a short time (before going to driver), and it came with both regular thick spacers, and with some thin spacers that I got to work with a 12t cog and my Shadow Interlock V.2 chain... so the spacers do exist, it's just a matter of finding them apparantly.