Quantcast

need graphic design + variable data help : indesign or excel?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
hey, we landed a large client and in addition to all the cool work, we also have to produce 200+ business cards.

I haven't used InDesign for variable data, so is the function included? (I'm at home at the moment and don't have indesign)

Have you tried to do high-quality print work out of excel? I wonder if I could format the text fields, populate them with client data, and export out as a PDF? (with the proper fonts, positioning of data... just like I could do with InDesign)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not a design guy, just a tech guy, so please excuse me if this is a ludicrous notion, but can you use Word for your final print? 'cause the mail merge function works flawlessly with Excel files and would do what you're looking to do.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
long time since I've had to deal with that sort of thing but I'm pretty sure in the prepress output stage you can data merge the info onto the final ps file.
Last time I did it was 2 years ago with Ind 2.0 at the imposition stage we data merged in a list of 900 mailing addresses for a high zoot fashion store's new collection release show.

Sorry can't remember the full details of how..... memory's not that good these days. :ouch: