Quantcast

Need help, are there anytricks for getting a 26x2.35 Intense tire..

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
With the DH casing completely mounted on a rim? I've tried getting it on my rear wheel, but just can't get it mounted, had no problem with the 2.7 on the front, but can't get the 2.35 on the rear wheel.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Good luck. I busted 2 tubes trying to fight with Intense tires. I ended up getting metal tire levers and fought with it. Some rims though seemed easier to get their tires onto.

I feel ya, short of soap or bead wax it's just a fight

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
general tips are to center the bead which is already inside the rim into the deepest part (ie center) of the rim, which will give you the max amount of room to work w/ the other.

i used to use a bit of phil wood grease on the rim/tire bead of particularly recalcitrant tire/rim combos, but metal levers are also yr friend. just be careful not to pinch yr tube; nothing's worse than finally winning the tire mount struggle only to have to face it again.

good luck.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It's no easy task getting that tire mounted. It took two people and some moto tire levers to get my friend's tire mounted--not to mention a lot of foul language and some bloody knuckles...

When you finally get the tire mounted, pray that you did not pinch the tube...;) Good luck!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Yeah like everyone said, tire levers, foul language, and bloody knuckles. Also, sometimes it helps to just walk away for a bit amd clear your head.

PM Lovebunny. He's the resident SD tire changing king. More tricks than a rabbit on acid.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
I find the best thing to do with Downhill tyres is to treat them as if they were "Motorcycle tyres".... after all they are not so diferent in terms of stiffness and how tight the beads are to the rim,, well at least kind of similar.

A.K.A.... first Use lubricant to help them slide (from soapy water to fancy dry profesional products so the tube does not currupt when wet) big and strong (usually Steel) tyre levers are very helpful (round and get rid of the sharp edges of them with a file, sandpaper or whatever {I use a scotch grinding wheel with exelent results} so they are less prone to damage the tube and the rim) but more important that anything try to keep the bead at the shallowest part of the rim (center of the rim) that way you have a little more slack since they feature a smaller diameter at the center of the rim.

i hope this help, i change a million bicycles and motorcycle that way with out much trouble.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Warm up the tires. Leave them in the house overnight by the fireplace. Works awesome. I rarely have problems if the tire is somewhat warm. I can mount and dismount a lot of tires by hand if they are warm. I change tires....... A LOT.

In the summer, I just leave the tire on the driveway for an hour or two till its nice and warm, sometimes even hot.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Kanter said:
Warm up the tires. Leave them in the house overnight by the fireplace. Works awesome. I rarely have problems if the tire is somewhat warm. I can mount and dismount a lot of tires by hand if they are warm. I change tires....... A LOT.

In the summer, I just leave the tire on the driveway for an hour or two till its nice and warm, sometimes even hot.

Interesting, Never heard of that

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Kanter said:
Warm up the tires. Leave them in the house overnight by the fireplace.
Yup thats the hot tip for sure. I used to pour almost boiling water on my moto tires to warm them up. A good bake in the SoCal sun helps too.

J

JRB

If heating tires works, I vote for cooling the rim. Put it in the freezer, Rip.

*seriously - I haven't ever used metal bars on bike tires, but soap will work wonders. They make some special tire soap that is badass for truck tires. I would assume it would work. I do use some thick palmolive for UST from time to time. Lube is your friend with tires.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I never had a problem mounting DH tires after I was shown how to angle in the levers. I really should video tape it and post it on the web.

Until I do that:

1) get some metal levers (Intense or similar)
2) use only the end with the slight bend. The double curved end will cut the tube every time.
3) make sure the bead is in the center of the rim (smallest diameter portion of the rim.
4) use WD40 if neccessary. I never need this on a DH tire but use it on new Moto tires when they are super tight. I have tried soap and all it does make the levers slick and even worse it allows the tires to slip on the rim. I have spun a moto tire with 2 beadlocks due to soap residue on the rim/tire.

If you think DH tires are tough, don't attempt to mount a moto tire. Do like most everyone else does and pay a shop $15-20 to change it.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Brian HCM#1 said:
Thats only because it takes you a couple hours to decide which tire is going to fit:D

Nah it only takes a second to see if it fits. If tire compays would get off their a$$es and size the tires the same, I wouldnt have any problems. Or maybe if Foes would build a bike that would fit something bigger than a 2.5. This tire badgering is getting a little old here Brian. I am now a tire size expert so if you have any questions let me know. :)