Quantcast

Need help... Bike build...

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
So Ive got $1500 to build a bike. Im looking to build something to race cruiser class with but since i have busted my wrists up so bad over the years i need suspension, I would also like to do some mild jumping/park rides with it. Basically what i want is to run 24's, disk brakes, horizontal dropouts, be able to run an 80mm fork. What would be a good frame to accomplish this with. any advise and tips would be appreciated.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
do you have to run disk? there's some great options out there that don't have disk tabs and have bmx spacing - namely union street and tonic...

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
For the most part Im set on disks, although I'll take anything into consideration. Ive been perusing around and noticed a bike caled the 250r, clearly its not a honda lol so who makes it and is it for 24's or 26's?

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
look also into nemesis project, rider owned and operated, Im getting a 24" from Brad, and I cant wait, ive put about 1500 into it and Im sooo stoked, ive heard nothing but awesome things about them and cant wait to get myne.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
If you want to run discs, look at DMR, if you want to get something with a bit more bling, go with a Nemesis. I'm sure Brad could come up with something for you.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
all of the new atomlab frames are compatible with 2-4's. the trailpimp and the pimp2 both have horizontal drops as well as disc and V brake mounts. check em out

Jul 1, 2006
Chicago
For the most part Im set on disks, although I'll take anything into consideration. Ive been perusing around and noticed a bike caled the 250r, clearly its not a honda lol so who makes it and is it for 24's or 26's?

That one is made by a company in the UK called Revell. The 250r and 300s are 24" specific. There is also a 26" specific model. They are dialed frames, but sort of hard to come by. Greasy Comb was the US distributor, but I'm not sure if they still import them. Ride-This had them.

I rode a 300s all summer and loved it. 135mm rear spacing, and disc only.

Chip

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Thanks for the advise guys. I think im gonna try to find a 250r or go with nemesis project. Also where is a good place to source complete 24" disk wheels. all the places ive found sell 24" wheels but dont allow disk.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Don't forget the Tonic Fab Fall Guy or the Union Street Molly. Both are awesome, neither run disc. If you can force yourself to spring for Vs or 990s you'll find they work better for this application than discs.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
well Im going with the revell 250r. One of my local shops can get them through one of their distributers. Im ordering that frame and fox floats on monday(payday). Im as giddy as a school girl hahaha. Now I need to figure out the wheel situation.

Jul 1, 2006
Chicago
well Im going with the revell 250r. One of my local shops can get them through one of their distributers. Im ordering that frame and fox floats on monday(payday). Im as giddy as a school girl hahaha. Now I need to figure out the wheel situation.

Great choice on the frame. But remember, they are designed around an 80mm fork. I don't know what the travel is on the Fox, but if it's more than 100mm, it's going to ride like crap.

Chip

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Great choice on the frame. But remember, they are designed around an 80mm fork. I don't know what the travel is on the Fox, but if it's more than 100mm, it's going to ride like crap.

Chip
I was told it was an 80mm. I was told the flaots arent very strong but very light, thats why I went with them I dont plan on abusing them too bad, so hopefully it will hold up.