Quantcast

need help choosing my next rim

sessions

Monkey
Nov 9, 2005
Vancouver WA
My rear wheel that I have been riding for the last 4 year finally is coming to the end of it’s life and I need to get a new rim. The bike is mostly going to be ridden on dirt jumps but also a little street every once in a while. I want to get something that is not too expensive but also strong. I was thinking about a rhino lite XL but I was told by a few people that I was not going to be happy with the rim. What rim would should I get I’m open to anything that is relatively inexpensive, strong and is going to last a little while.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I've had very good luck w/ RhinoLites XL's. They're relatively cheap and hold up for me. Singletracks work well too if you're running discs. Just make sure to get the welded versions of either of them.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
hey i rode the rhyno lite xl's for a long time, and liked em alot. But i taco'd one that i rode for about 2 years, so i bought that mammoth rim on the quick fix and it didnt even last two months. I'd ride the xl's again, but am in the process of picking up an arrow DHX rim. i heard theyre pretty strong and i'm looking to try something new.
When you get back to p-town you can check er out.

hows summer treating ya?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i don't really like sunringle, but mavic are always good and those azonic outlaws are awesome, and i have heard great stuff about the atomic lab stuff, just my opinion

sessions

Monkey
Nov 9, 2005
Vancouver WA
Thanks for the help so far I was looking around and I saw atomlabs general issue street rim it seem pretty strong. Has anyone had a chance to ride this rim?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
basikbiker said:
Arrow FRX's is what i ride i never have to true them, they are bombproof, they are a lil heavier than others but they will last.
the frx's are lighter than atomlab pimp, pimplite, and GI's

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
between the singletrack, rhynolite, and atomlab G.I. street; the singletrack is cheaper quality than the rhyno lite, and the atomlab is burly as hell but heavier than the others. I've never ridden the arrow rims, but you can check mine out when you get back to school, cause it should be on by then.

I'd go for the rhynolite; fairly priced, strong enough, and never did me wrong the years i rode them

why don't people think you'll dig the rhynolite?

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
funn's rims are dirt cheap, a little heavy, but i've beat the crap mine, and they're holding solid.
if they're built well, i've had no issues rhynolite XLs.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
The Arrow FRX rims are pretty strong......I had one as a front rim for a while and had no issues with it whatsoever. Good quality stuff too!

Singletracks or Mavic EX721's are a decent choice for a new rim. The Rhinolites aren't bad, but are cheaper than the other 2 listed.

Either one would do, they are sub 600g rims so you know they aren't XC but they aren't full DH either.

Evil plug

Chimp
Dec 12, 2005
Another vote for FRX's,theyre the best. I also use the GI rim as a rear, but the dirt one, its only double wall, instead of triple, but strong as hell. Ive had them in 24 and 26, and never had a problem with either, and i also weigh 220 w/gear

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i ran 24" FRX's for 2 years. they were great. keep in mind they are only 27mm wide - way too narrow for street/park for my taste + no rim brake option - i switched to atomlab GI dirt.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
Stoked said:
i have an arrow frx up front and a dhx in back. i dont think i'd run a frx in back
i roll on the exact opposite of what you have and it works out fine, but i have a single speed specific rearhub so its a lil stonger than conventional, cause the flanges arnt offset and are wider.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
I may get the names wrong. But, go for the Alex DM 24 which is around the same size as a Singletrack or Rhynolite, or the DX 32 which is pretty fattie! If built well they are bomb proof.