Quantcast

Need help choosing next DH frame.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Alright guys,

Heres what Im looking for.... after spending 2 seasons on 2 completelty different bikes (V10 and Chumba F4) I have come to the conclusion that instead of going for a light "finesse" bike or a big "plow" bike, I want something in between. But thats where I get lost when searching for a frame. I was considering a demo 9, only because I can get an insane deal. Anyway....

Some characteristics Im looking for: Top tube longer then 23", Atleast 8" of travel, Something that won't get bucked around easy, Pedals decently,

A little about me: I am 6'3'', prefer to not be cramped on a bike. My main trouble this season was in the open slope, I felt pretty sketchy on the Chumba, but on the other hand I did awesome in the woods.

Im confused, help?
Dan

RobsterCrw

Chimp
May 13, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
Demo 8 is way better suited for race than the 9. Have you looked at the Orange 224? Its the lightest frame out there for DH race and it has the dimensions you are after slightly over 8 inches of travel. I have no experience on them but if you are worried that in may not be stiff enough then you should look at the Cannondale Gracia.

other options:
Intense m3 (pedal)
Ironhorse Sunday (pedal)
Devinci Wilson

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Demos are sick. They plow through stuff but can also be finessed. They're the best of both worlds. If you can get a good deal on one go for it. The size L would fit you well.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
rockymt21 said:
Alright guys,

Heres what Im looking for.... after spending 2 seasons on 2 completelty different bikes (V10 and Chumba F4) I have come to the conclusion that instead of going for a light "finesse" bike or a big "plow" bike, I want something in between. But thats where I get lost when searching for a frame. I was considering a demo 9, only because I can get an insane deal. Anyway....

Some characteristics Im looking for: Top tube longer then 23", Atleast 8" of travel, Something that won't get bucked around easy, Pedals decently,

A little about me: I am 6'3'', prefer to not be cramped on a bike. My main trouble this season was in the open slope, I felt pretty sketchy on the Chumba, but on the other hand I did awesome in the woods.

Im confused, help?
Dan
I know the feeling i was on a Foes Mono in previous years and a Chumba f4 this season.

Two bikes I recommend are the Ventana El Cuervoand a Turner DHR.

I've had the chance to test both and they are both solid rides. While the DHR is known for it's turning, it felt much more stable over the rough stuff than the F4 does

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i suggest bb7. ive had one for about a year now. it can be finessed, but the faster you push it the better it feels. its slung low to keep the center of gravity down towards the bb. its long and raked out for stability at high speeds.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Hmmm,

Its now between the Sunday and the Turner. Anyone have any pics of the yellow sunday's?

Dan

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I LOVE my Turner. Allthough mine is drilled it has the same geometry as a Sunday (Or very close) yet just feels way plusher than the tight and responsive sunday. It seems like it would be easier to pedal through the rough...

DHR.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Can't say enough good things about the sunday! Handles everything well. Can't really go wrong with the sunday or the turner though.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Can someone take these measurements for me on their Medium DHR.

Downtube length - center of headtube to center of BB.
Virtual top tube length - center of headtube to there the top of the seatpost is when level with the top of the headtube.

Think I would be too big for a medium DHR?

Thanks, Dan

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
rockymt21 said:
Can someone take these measurements for me on their Medium DHR.

Downtube length - center of headtube to center of BB.
Virtual top tube length - center of headtube to there the top of the seatpost is when level with the top of the headtube.

Think I would be too big for a medium DHR?

Thanks, Dan
Dan,

I am around 5'-6" and am currently riding a medium DHR. You will probably be to tall for it, although there are people taller than me on smalls, so go figure.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Metal said:
Dan,

I am around 5'-6" and am currently riding a medium DHR. You will probably be to tall for it, although there are people taller than me on smalls, so go figure.
I dunno sanjay, im 6'1 and im more than comfortable on my Medium. I think Dan would be about the biggest possible height for it..

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
Dan,
Don't jump into a purchase if you're not totally sure it's what you need, no matter how good the deal is. You're a big dude, get a large.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
maby the reason youve been getting f'd over with your last to bikes is your getting info of an internet forum. go and test the ****ing bike before you go and drop 2k on a frame which u may end up not liking.

but i do agree with what people are saying on here. the dhr or orange 224 would be primo choice for you. i dun know about the sunday cause ive never rode one let alone see it in person.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Julian,

I would test the bikes but all everyone rides around here are Kona's and Rocky Mt's. I Don't know a single person that rides a Sunday or Turner in all of Vermont....

Dan

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I rode a 2005 DHR all season and was really happy, the medium felt a little large for me, but the 8" 888 with stock crowns probably didn't help. I also rode the 06 sunday with the Fox the last day at Diablo all day. After riding both you realize they're very different, the DHR is great at highspeeds and eats up everything (very plush). The sunday is a lot more racy and upright feeling, thusly less plush but more responsive, it all depends on what you look for in a bike, personally I think you'd be better off on a DHR, but you can't go wrong either way.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Ive decided on a 19" sunday, its perfect. Now I need to find one for sale...

Anyone know of any on the net? 19", preferably the frame (not complete)

Thanks, Dan

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Well I would suggest a Giant Faith. I ride one and really like it. It's very comfortable and pedals awesome. It has 8.25 inches of travel and a pretty low BB. It doesn't get bucked around and seems to stay where I point it. If you weren't set on a sunday I would suggest taking the Faith for a test ride.

I know Giant may not be a bike that you would want to consider (with them being made overseas and all) but, it is very high quality, the welds are pretty nice and its light.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The Kona Stinky Supreme fits the bill perfectly. Its strong as hell, pedals simply amazingly (even with the propedal turned off) and the ride is a ton of fun. It corners well, has 8" travel and the floater keeps everything happy in the back. Its one of the better bikes I've tried, and beleive me nobody was more surprised then me. Its nice and progressive, and can handle a lot of abuse.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Dan-

stick with the demo or maybe a sunday.The demo is such a good deal that you really cant go wrong with it...Sundays are nice too and so are dhr's...but I think you could build the demo so nice with all the money you would save on the frame...

-j.r.

fox-ranger

Chimp
May 3, 2005
switzerland
run a dhr its made in USA, the ironhorse is made in taiwan!
this has tell my a mountain cycle man:

You don't need a Sunday. Besides, the green and grey ones are made in Taiwan. You would want a Kinesis USA made Sunday Factory. (I guess you clicked my _ link huh?)
I could have one if I wanted, but I ride a 9point5.
Adjust the shock and you can tune the ride to do whatever you want. I know for a fact that the 9point5 is a much stronger frame than the Sunday. I've been trying to break mine by doing big stuff for the last 2-1/2 years.

I'll have to look into the fork stop compatibility with Boxxers. Have you tried it ia all four positions? Both holes, forward and backwards? There is also a spacer that can go between the fork-stop and frame to lower it a bit.
Good luck,
Tim
My Photos

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=95647

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fox-ranger

Chimp
May 3, 2005
switzerland
rockymt21 said:
Ive decided on a 19" sunday, its perfect. Now I need to find one for sale...

Anyone know of any on the net? 19", preferably the frame (not complete)

Thanks, Dan
randel scott in new york or go-ride in utah
sale this bikes

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
now that i think of it a canfield would be great for you.

i dont know if you know jamie ford but his canfield is sick. probably one of the coolest and sweetest bikes ive ever tested. and they look cool

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
A little off base here-
But did KONA improve the seatstay unit. Mine cracked at the yoke on my 99 Stab dee-lux. They look exactly the same to me.I have not considered a KONA since..!

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
The Canfield is cool but not the geometry I am looking for. It has a 15" BB, a longer wheelbase, shorter top tube....

And I will probably never buy a Kona as long as I ride bikes....

Dan