Quantcast

Need help converting files to movies..

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

So I downloaded this movie that I've been waiting for forever. It's downloaded as an .ISO file. I used a program to open up the .ISO file and inside is 2 folders (audio TS and video TS). Inside them there's nothing in the audio but in the video there's a bunch of .VOB files....

After doing some research I found it's a DVD rip (is all the files really mean)

I want to be able to convert this .ISO file into something like a mpeg/Avi/divx whatever so I can watch the dumb thing. I've been trying to search on Google for a .ISO to .MPEG converter but no luck. It's starting to get annoying :(

Any ideas or help?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's not actually an ISO to MPG conversion.

ISO is a standard format for making "images" of discs.

Search for DVD to DivX or DVD to MPG. Or, DVD Rippers. Someone might have a good suggestion for a tool, I don't personally do it since DVD space is cheaper than hard drive space, so I just burn to DVD.

What you'll need is a program like Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% (also available via google) to make the computer think that your ISO image is a real DVD, then use your DVD to DivX or DVD to MPG convertor to rip it.

If you want to skip the whole ripping steps, just use a program like Nero to burn the ISO image to a DVD. It'll play just like a regular DVD.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Daemon Tools crashed my PC the other day :mumble: it might have conflicted with the recent Windows patches.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I will try some of those programs and see where I can get :)

I really need to get a DVD burner.....the prices on discs and such came down to where they are similar to CD-R's.

I have a Divx thing that you drag your movie into the Divx program (it's from divx.com) and it converts your mpeg's to divx. I had too many Tivo recordings and had to shrink some down.

I'll go search for these programs though

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, keep in mind that you can get 4.7gb DVDs for abour $0.25 apiece or less if you get them on a really good deal. That's about a nickel per gigabyte. A really good deal will have DVDs for $0.15 apiece or a little more than $0.03 per gigabyte.

Hard drive space runs anywhere from $0.25 per gigabyte (on a really good deal) to $0.35 per gigabyte (on an only okay deal).

You do the math on the more efficient storage space :)

A very decent DVD burner will run you $30-40.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
That was what I was starting to find, DVD's are just much easier to deal with then huge giant hard drives.

I got the daemon tools (whatever it's called) to mount up but.....while my filesharing programs wait to download some sort of DVD to Mpeg or AVI program anyone use or know of a good one (free or not)???