Quantcast

need help converting

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
i have a 8 speed rear and my LBS says i need a new cog so it wont skip. i dont know if i should believe them or not lol. i know i need a tentioner but i figured that was it what is the truth???

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
A SS specific cog will do two things for you:
1. No ramps on the cog. Cassette cogs are designed with ramps to facilitate easier shifting. When the chain is moved within a certain distance of the actual shift point, the ramp helps direct the chain up to the bigger cog. On an SS, the ramps make your margin of error in your chainline much smaller. In other words, if your chainline isn't close to perfect, you're more likely to have chain skips or even drops.
2. Taller teeth. Most SS specific cogs have much taller teeth than cassette cogs. Again, the cassette cogs are designed to shift as easily and smoothly as possible. Tall teeth actually hold the chain more securely on the cog allowing you to run your chain with a little slack without drops.

With all that said, I successfully ran a cassette cog for an entire season while first trying SS. It can be done, you just have to pay some extra attention to your chainline when setting the bike up.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
rpk1988 said:
Should you only run one chainring in the front or is two fine.
Do you plan on using both? I'm sure there's a way to do it if you want to, but I'm not sure how you'd get around the chainline issues.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
that question wasnt really important. i have 2 chain rings up front and he was wondering if it would matter that i do or if i should try and get just one... and u already anwsered that question

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Im running singlespeed with a full cassette still on but i have a pretty much perfect chain line just by coincidence. I have horizontal dropouts so my chain is pretty dam tight. So i guess my answer is no, in my situation, i dont need a singlespeed cog, but maybe you will. Try it with the cog you have and if its no good, get a singlespeed one.