Quantcast

Need help deciding on brakes for my DH

What brakes to get?

• Total voters

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am trying to decide on what brakes to get and need some help. I have been running the same Saints on all of the DH bikes since 2004. It is time to upgrade.

The choices are:

-Formula: The One
-Magura: Louise
-Avid: Codes

Thoughts? Experiences? Lets hear about it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Formula: maintenance is a bit more tricky than most. Parts availability can be a headache. Eats pads. Crazy powerful even with one finger (all this is 2nd hand info, but from multiple sources - though I have done a few runs on them and I can confirm the powerful 1 finger braking part). Expensive.

Codes: old ones: super heavy, but powerful. New ones: ???

Any reason why you don't wanna upgrade to the new style saints? Everyone I know with them raves about them.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i just posted a longer answer on the other Brakes thread.

I have 4 sets of formula brakes on my bikes, incl the 2010 Ones, and just bought a pair of The One FRs for another bike. For around $500 you can get ONes w/ rotors and adaptors from several online places so the price is not bad.

Bleeding the Oro series is about as easy as bleeding Juicy's, and uses the same kit. Oro M/Cs have to be facing upward, so I usually strap a handlebar vertically to the headtube on the frame. The new Ones now have bleed ports located so you can bleed easily w/the M/Cs on the bar (i haven't bled them yet...the factory bleed was perfect, as always seems to be the case w/ Formula).

I've owned Hayes, Hopes, Magura, Avids, Formula...in my experience, the maintenance on Forumula brakes is less frequently needed i.e no sticky piston issues, no frequent re-bleeding to keep things feeling crisp.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am a pretty low maintenance kind of person. What ones would be the most reliable and require the least amount of tinkering in their life? My old saints were only bled once since 2005. They have been kicking ass until this year.

The only reason I am not going for the new saints is because I can get much better deals on the 3 choices.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I have just been switching back and forth between old style XTs (same as old Saint) and Avid Juicy 7s. To me the Juicy 7's a re much more powerful and just feel better. You might want to consider the Avid Elixir. Lighter than Codes, more powerful than Juicys (and the Juicys are no slouch in that department).

Gustavs were for a time THE uber-brake. Heavy but powerful as hell. I suspect the new Saints would give them a run for their money now. Not sure about the new Codes. They look promising at least.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
BYoung digs his formulas. I think I might get some too. Only issue is they sound like there's a flock of birds stuck in your caliper when you brake.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Heaviest. Brake. Ever.

Except for maybe the hope m6.
My father claims the 07 ones he uses are not much heavier than the Codes. He also managed to get a great feel out of the levers though gustavs always felt great imho. Contrary to what people think they have decent modulation, great lever feel and are reliable. Though unless I see a picture of my old mans claims I wont belive him. Though I loved my old gustavs. Please magura - make them lighter.

As for the luise - why not wait for the marta Fr brake that comes in september?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
norbar - I never said they were a poor performing brake, just heavy! everyone I know that has used them (and could take care of them) loved them. :cheers:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
norbar - I never said they were a poor performing brake, just heavy! everyone I know that has used them (and could take care of them) loved them. :cheers:
Never claimed you did. I really miss mine but it may be due to the fact that my oros get more moody than my ex when she was hungry and PMSing at the same time ;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've got '09 Ones, and while they're super powerful and really light, they are a PITA to keep running. They eat pads, and in an effort to make them super light, they made the fluid reservoir really small, so they need to be bled once the pads wear a bit. That, or you have to replace pads REALLY often.

I've ridden the new Saints a bit, and am on the verge of pulling the trigger. They feel great, and everyone I know with them has had really good things to say.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The new Ones are pretty awesome. I've got one set and hope to get another soon. That's where I'd go on your list.

Sounds like you really should take a second look at the new saints though, very reliable and easy to maintain. You've had stellar long-term results with your existing set and I don't see why you'd look elsewhere to save a few bucks.

Gustavs are the most powerful - like ridiculously powerful, those things stop DH tandems for chrissakes - but they are anchors and overkill compared to the other systems on your list.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The only other brake i have compared to my saints (4 pairs-thats how much i like them) is the Gustavs (because i got a deal) i think if they werent so heavy, id like them better, while not quite as powerful, but the levers feel amazing, and the power comes on a little "smoother" They dont have the stick in spokes factor, but i do like them very much.