Quantcast

need help for build. Yeti DJ frame + giant rainier hardtail parts?

Dec 30, 2009
Hey guys,

I used to do a lot of bmx, but then i pulled out some muscle in my back when i was 14. Due to that, i stopped riding till now. Theres my brothers old 2002 giant rainier. Its a hardtail with a Marzocchi EXR Air, 3.0" travel, according to this one site ill post later.

I like dirt jumping but i have little to no money. My birthday is coming up though.
I figured, if i bought a yeti dj frame from jenson now only 325 i believe, and used parts from my old giant rainier i could have a nice dj bike.

Do you guys think i could accomplish this though?
I know nothing about the geometry of a frame and what travel i need for this type of bike.

My question to yall is if you could kindly help me, i would like to know, if i could do the giant rainiers fork (marzocchi exr 3 inch travel.) and install that onto the yeti dj frame?

giant specs: (by the way its a 17 inch frame)
http://www.bikepedia.com/QUICKBIKE/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2002&Brand=Giant&Model=Rainier&Type=bike

heres the yeti i want:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FR290A01-Yeti+Dj+2009+Frame.aspx

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Only problem I see is the bike you have uses a 68mm bb shell and the Yeti is 73mm

Honestly though I would keep the bike you have as is and look for something on craigslist to dirt jump. I bought a Backtrail 24 a while ago for $200. A bike like that is good for you because there is not much to break on it and its easy to work on yourself.

Try using www.searchtempest.com you can set it up to search all the craigslist ads within 100 miles of your zip code, real handy.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
You don't want to be sticking a bunch of used XC parts onto a dirt jumper.

Like he said, get some cash in hand and watch craigslist. For example, I just checked and there is a Black Market Mob complete for $600 here.

Dec 30, 2009
oh no i wasnt going to use all the parts from the xc to the dj frame.
All i was going to use is the fork(for temporary), wheels, and seat post.
I already figured off of pricepoint. the headset, handlebars, saddle, crankset, wouldn't be too much to save up for. its less than 150.00 the ones im getting.

and yes i am aware of the bb size difference. too but tahnks =]