Quantcast

Need Help from experienced trail builders

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
I am building a new part on our trail the normal drop is like 4 feet but it could have a 15 to 20 foot option(forgot tape mesure) easily, what kind of landing would it take to make this happen and is there minimum distance out for a drop that huge this thing is a monster only serious reply's please. The worst part is I was staning on top of where the take off would be is thinkin I could do this?!?!?! It is the kind of sh!t that will ruin your week if the landing isn't right

to all the damage inc guys it is F'n sweet

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
what type of run-in does this stunt have? is the take-off inline with the ground, or is it a n incline? What is after the tranny area? lots and lots of factors go into deciding what you are asking...got any pics of the area in question? May make it easier to help you out :)

I guess I can assume a couple things here..

1 - its a bridge drop that is pretty level with the ground and the landing zone is a fall away line
2 - its a straight run-in/run-out

what I would do take the 4 foot drop, assuming its setup the same way the big one will be setup, and play the scale game. If you go out 5 feet from a 4 foot drop, then a 20 foot drop is 5 times the drop, making the tranny no more than 25 feet from the point of take-off. Now of course this is a rather large distance to cover...which is why it is the FURTHEST you want to go out. Most likely the distance covered will be half that, unless the run-in really is fast/smooth and the takeoff is just a sender; in which case, 25 feet may be perfect...hard to tell without knowing the area really...

I tend to make the drops I build a little less distance than the height of the drop, and it seems to work great. 10 foot drop/7 feet out....20 foot drop/12-15 feet out...and so on...that way you dont have to go balls out over the drop..

again, knowing the area and setup is the only way someone is going to be able to give you really sound advise; minus general help :)

not really progressive, eh? 4 foot drop or 20 foot drop? heh...how about a middle ground in there so people can work up to the big one without instant death? :P

-sean

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
the issue wiht it being progressive it is 2 different rock levels. I don't have the option of building ladders on this land so it has to be all natural the landing isn't that steep so it will have to be a big man made landing

gotnoname19

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
Bellingham, Washington
if there is no type of natural landing, it is probably not a great idea to make a 20 foot drop. If it is pretty much flat, the manmade landing would have to be a rediculous size. If the place isnt set up for the drop, let it go. Just my friendly advice.