Quantcast

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
A buddy of mine sent me a link with interest in maybe doing a trip this summer. But I don't know anything about Sedona, Arizona. See the link he sent me below.

http://www.gatewaytosedona.com/article/id/348/page/1

My question is, what is the best area to go in Sedona? Is Sedona any good? What about best area to go for a more aggressive rider? What's the best time to go to avoid 100 degree heat? What's the best lodging close by because I hear that some places out west will FINE YOU if you keep your bike locked in your room? :eek: A buddy told me he got hit with a $300 fine when he did Whistler and said the cleaning lady found his bike in the room and they hit him up for the fine. He said they had lockers in the basement for your room but who want's to put a $3K plus bike in a locker where you can't keep your eyes on it? Is that not CRAZY? :crazy: One allen wrench at 4 in the morning while I sleep and I'm out a fork and wheel. (no pun intended)

Anyway, any info on it would be nice. :help: I'm not looking to stay at the Ritz Carlton or Hilton in luxury, I just need a Ramada or Days Inn or something of that nature.

Also, when you go to these places, how in the hell do you know where to ride? AND find your way back out? Are there bike shops out west that offer weekend guiding to the trails or trips?

And is Sedona a really cool ride? I've heard Moab is really cool too. What other areas out west are well worth it cool rides? I would like to go out west this year and try some REAL mountain biking but I don't want to wind up lost, dehydrated and dead, nor do I want to be killed by a mountain lion or bit by a rattle snake either pedaling along.

I've never seen a rattle snake other than in pics. And frankly, I don't want to. :panic:

Anyone been to Sedona? Anyone live there that would show me and a buddy around for a weekend?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i rode Sedona years ago and absolutely loved it. it was some of the best riding ive ever done.
i rode by myself and stuck to the clearly marked trails so i didnt get lost.

check out Bike and Bean. http://www.bike-bean.com/Sedona_Bike_&_Bean_Sedona_Mountain_biking_and_Coffee/Enter.html
also check with whatever hotel/motel about "fines." ive never come across that but would be pretty pissed if they tried charging me...especially if it wasnt in writing when i signed the info at check-in.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Apparently my buddy that got fined said it was in writing and he ignored it thinking no one would know but the cleaning crew ratted him out. I guess the maids get a cut of that $300.

The scenery in that shot on the link I posted is exactly the kind of stuff I'd like to try. I'm used to woods. I want to see tumble weed and red dirt! Canyon stuff looks really cool. Just taking my camera along to shoot pics would be awesome too with THAT kind of country. But I don't want to get lost either.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Apparently my buddy that got fined said it was in writing and he ignored it thinking no one would know but the cleaning crew ratted him out. I guess the maids get a cut of that $300.

The scenery in that shot on the link I posted is exactly the kind of stuff I'd like to try. I'm used to woods. I want to see tumble weed and red dirt! Canyon stuff looks really cool. Just taking my camera along to shoot pics would be awesome too with THAT kind of country. But I don't want to get lost either.
well its kinda hard to hide a bike from the maids that clean the room :D

the few trails i rode were all super dusty and had plenty of red sand that followed me home...it was what i was looking for too :thumb:

one trail's name that was fun at the time was called the Submarine trail (i think..its been years since i been back)

check out the Bike and Bean guys...they can point you in the right direction when you are there

Last edited:

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
The guy that sent me the link up top said to me in an email that his sister may have a time share in Sedona. THAT would be really great. He said one of the places advertises you can ride right out the front door onto the trails. I'd like to go with people that live out there and know the good trails and how to get back.

I imagine there's night life on the weekends in Sedona too? Place to kick back a few with the local ladies after riding? :brows: :cheers:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I'm going to apologize in advance. I am pretty sure my last internet rant was directed at you. It is nothing personal but when the history of why the internet died is written, it will be retarded sh!t like this that is to blame.

1) There is an a$$load of information available on mountain biking in Sedona. Look it up. There are hundreds of posts in the Arizona forum on MTBR alone. If I want to make a goddamn souffle, I google it. RM is not the only source of information. You could literally spend the next couple of weeks reading all the information that is already available on Sedona. It might even prompt some good questions.

2) Going to AZ during the summer is retarded. Of course, it is going to be fvcking hot. Did you really need someone to tell you that? Go to Tahoe or Oregon or Sun Valley or BC if you don't want to die in the desert. If you are looking for a destination in March, knock yourself out.

3) Why in the he!! are you talking about bike fees in Whistler. Do you think there is some kind of international west coast conspiracy against bikes in motel rooms? Since you seem to be serious, I guess I can assure you there is not.

4) I suggest you do some research or use a little common sense. You will get way better responses. Sedona is awesome during the right time of year. So are other places. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful vacation.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I hear Sedona and Flag aren't horrid during the summer, but as someone whose lived in Tahoe, lived in Seattle, hung out a lot in Whistler, has ridden Moab, has ridden most of the east coast, and still has a beer gut, I'd advise somewhere cooler for the summer than Sedona.

Come up in the Spring if you're going to do it. Summer starts here the end of April. It'll be 90 in PHX by then. That's rad if you live in an apartment complex full of unwed single stripper mothers like I do, but not awesome if you want to ride during the day.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
There are plenty of places in Whistler with no cleaning ladies where you just rent from a condo. I blame you friend in the first place for having a place with a cleaning lady :)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Sedona is awesome. I would definitely go back. Lots of good riding there. Flagstaff is close too less than hour & a much cooler town with tons more riding to be had & it will be cooler in Flag cuz of its elevation....maybe stay in flag & day trip to sedona?
You can ride trails around Mt. Humphrey too, I think...should be nice.
I didn't read if you are camping or what but there is tons of good camping sites in the area also there is a cool hostel in Flag with a bike locker & private rooms too.

I spent about a week there in the area last March & fell in love. Hit me up if you want any more details.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I just posted a few pics over a emptybeer of my weekend trip to Sedona, but didn't include much useful info. Best advice:
1. Don't go in the summer. If that's your only option, then pick another place. You'd be equally wow'ed by Moab, but it's also a spring/fall destination.
2. There are some fine new trails that are not on any official map, but the locals seem willing to share. Stop by the Bike&Bean, make a token purchase, and ask about Highline or Hangover.
3. Absolute Bikes will often let you park out front of their shop while you go for a ride. Be nice and check with them first, and again, perhaps buy something from them once you return.
4. Hotels? Bah! I'm a mountainbiker, so I camp. You can stay down at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood for $15/night, and that includes a hot shower. Bonus is that you don't have to suffer the crystal-worshipping, vortex-searching tourons on whom Sedona makes its living.
5. Jerome is worth a side trip, and Georgie's Cafe in Cottonwood is, IMO, the perfect breakfast spot.
6. Beef Supreme is correct.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I've been to Sedona probably a dozen times. I just bought a trail book and camped and rode every day.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I've had mixed luck with cheap motels being bike friendly (or ignorant). One in Portland was super scum and they wouldn't let me in with a bike, but pointed me to the chain link fence where I could lock it up. Thanks. Otherwise, places like Motel 6 have been unconcerned with the bike, dirty or clean. I even once rolled my Balfa BB7 through a fancy Seattle Hotel without question. Whistler hotels are picky because of the volume of bikes.

Transporting the bike to the destination will be the next question. Get a good bike box from the LBS and make sure it fits the dimension allowed by the airline, and don't overstuff it or the handlers will mangle it. Also be sure you have a car to pick you up or rent that can transport the bike, and get you to the trailhead (which maybe up a dirt road).

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
re: hotels & bikes....dont ask them or dont tell them, just do it. also dont be a knob & wreck a hotel room either.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I've had mixed luck with cheap motels being bike friendly (or ignorant). One in Portland was super scum and they wouldn't let me in with a bike, but pointed me to the chain link fence where I could lock it up. Thanks. Otherwise, places like Motel 6 have been unconcerned with the bike, dirty or clean. I even once rolled my Balfa BB7 through a fancy Seattle Hotel without question. Whistler hotels are picky because of the volume of bikes.
This. I've traveled several times with a bike and it really just seems to depend on the individual hotel. Try to clean your bike before rolling it through the lobby. Leave a muddy/dusty trail across the carpet or in the room and your going to get hassled.

Transporting the bike to the destination will be the next question. Get a good bike box from the LBS and make sure it fits the dimension allowed by the airline, and don't overstuff it or the handlers will mangle it. Also be sure you have a car to pick you up or rent that can transport the bike, and get you to the trailhead (which maybe up a dirt road).
As an airline employee, I can not recommend a good travel case and FedEx/UPS enough when it comes to shipping a bike.

I grew up in an area filled with rattlesnakes. A rattler can only lunge half its body length, to be safe you should be at least 4 times further away than you think it can lunge. That being said, you 1: probably won't see it 2. If you do its going to be because you heard it first, the sound is.....unmistakable, and 3. If properly motivated they are FAST. Keep it in mind.

+rep to beef supreme for speaking truth.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I second a side trip to Jerome. Cool town, lots of wine. Maynard from Tool has a winery there.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Bikes in hotel rooms:

Use the backdoor, carry your clean bike into your room.
Don't let the maid in. Hang the "do not disturb" and they will skip.
Same with pets, what they don't know, won't hurt them.
Don't leave any damage or dirt, and they will never have a reason to care.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Bikes in hotel rooms:

Same with pets, what they don't know, won't hurt them.
Don't leave any damage or dirt, and they will never have a reason to care.
Hanging a sign on the bike that says "Whoever reports this bike gets reported to the INS" also helps.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Sedona and Flag both rock for mt biking. Been a long time since I "lived" there, but I'm sure it has only gotten better. May will likely be the *latest* you'll want to ride Sedona. It's really the desert. The hot muthaf**kin' desert.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Okay, I wanted to stick to the subject but I feel I need to respond to the "Gordita Crunch."

This site has over 135,000 threads and over 2,000,000 posts. Before I posted my thread, I typed in "Sedona" in the RM search. I suggest you do the same. Up popped 25 threads on the page and at the bottom it said, last page. I clicked the last page and it said, 100. I also looked at how many responses there are per thread in pages and saw on the first page one that had over 279 pages of responses. Considering there are 25 posts per page X 100 pages that's 2,500 threads X a potential of 279 pages of response posts at 25 responses per page, you attack me for not spending the rest of my life on RM looking for the proverbial needle in a hay stack and have two friends to support you to boot which shows it runs in threes.

IF it is SO easy, then rather than attack me in a cowardly cyber bullying fashion, why not use your apparent talents you suggest you have more than I and HELP me find what I'm looking for it if is so easy as you suggest?

You attack on me is unfair and unwarranted. If you have time to look through 25 threads x 100 pages x up to possibly 279+ pages of responses per thread x 25 threads on each page, then be my guest! Considering each thread containing the word "Sedona" most likely will lead to a dead end in someone saying, "I just bought a brand new Kia Sedona,"

your insinuation I should have the time in life to search through the potential 1,743,500 potential posts to find the 2,500 post that may contain the word "Sedona" is not only asinine but, idiotic to the power of 1,743,500!

I have NEVER have attacked one of your posts, OR you personally or been deliberately nasty to you. If you do not wish to read a post or read one you don't like, especially mine, then please exercise your constitutional right to ignore the thread, click off of it and move on. There are over 2,000,000 more posts on RM. You are WAY out of line! Please, act like an adult and reframe from commenting on my posts from here out if you can not help or be nice. I'll thank you, "in advance."

Enough said.

Last edited:

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Not kill the fun, but going to Az to ride in the summer? Why not Norcal?
Sanjuro, I have only skied out west. I have NO idea what's out there, thus when a buddy sent me the link that showed Sedona, it looked REALLY picturesque so I decided to entertain the thought of going there. It looks nice. But I know nothing of it or any riding out west.

Hanging a sign on the bike that says "Whoever reports this bike gets reported to the INS" also helps.
OMG! Now THAT'S FUNNY! :rofl: +rep

Okay, I will respond to some of the responses...

BTW, thanks to all that made nice helpful comments. I really appreciate that!

I did go and check out bike and bean! Thanks!!! So far though, I have only rode 15 years in Maryland and never gone outside of it. Every summer I go on vacations to the beach but, I have never rode with partners to go on bike trips with. I have a young buddy I ride with and two older buddies of mine, one's a current State Trooper, the other retired Trooper. I got both Troopers into buying mountain bikes and riding last year and the current Trooper has shown interest in riding more aggressive and wanting a better bike etc, obviously by him sending me the link I posted at the beginning of this thread. He really wants to get into the sport and I think that's great! The picture on the link he sent me looks ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! THAT looks like a place I would like to ride! It looks much better than Maryland, so I'm entertaining the idea of going there for a different riding experience along with the younger guy's idea to hit Whistler sometime this summer. If I can afford it, I'm thinking Whistler Sept, Sedona October!

Due to my modest knowledge in the sport, I helped get the retired trooper a nice Giant FS/XC bike. The other trooper bought after I told him not to and now sees what he wasted his money on. So last week, I just managed to get him a really nice 2009 Trek Fuel EX8 dirt cheap off of Ebay so he can have a better experience riding than on the cheap bike he bought last year. So I think he's looking forward to riding a nicer bike, being more aggressive and riding in nicer places which tells me, HE GOT BIT BY THE BUG! YES!!! :thumb:

Until now, I've never thought about riding out west like a ski vacation or weekend trip to the beach. I've never had anyone serious enough into riding to go with me. Most of my friends are older 40's, out of shape with wives and kids and they don't ride. I've always wanted to ride "west" but, I have NO info on any of the best places to ride, where you go, what county, city, climate, etc, and what's a good place to stay. I don't have camping gear so that's out. It's because I don't know anything of riding out west, I had no idea if Sedona would be super hot in the summer. It has been over 100 degrees in Maryland two years in a row and I rode hard both days in 105 degree heat for an hour in it. But I'm not in the typical very late 40's guy shape either.

The young guy I ride with is entertaining Whistler, most likely August. He's the guy that got popped at Whistler for the bike in the room violation. But I wash my bike after every ride and it's spotless when I'm done so dirt in the room isn't happening. I would never do that. I haven't spoke to him in a few months as the season's down but it STARTS THIS WEEKEND!!! YAAAAY! :happydance: 60's in Maryland this Saturday! THANK GOD!!! It's 45 now at 1am. So I'm riding Saturday! :weee:

As to rattle snakes, I know they can lunge half their body length and make sound. But coiled up, how do I know how long he is? What I'm worried about is coming up on one right along the side of the trail, riding fast by it, hearing the sound start five feet from it at the last second and being past it by the time I hear it and having a bite on my ankle. Thus my concern. That and mountain lions, bears and all the dangerous stuff people ride out west mention that can kill you. I want to go riding, not enter the food chain. :shocked:

Last edited:

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.

FYI, teh :monkey: might just be a bad place to wear your feelings on your sleeve. Just sayin.
I can understand you want to be a comedian, but let's face it, you're buddy came in and just went "ape" (no pun intended) when it's not called for. I can take teasing but someone just attacking you online is cyber bullying and people that do that are usually the one's that if in front of you, they'd remain quiet or even be polite to avoid a confrontation that obviously would result in let's say, a bar situation. I don't get this type of treatment in bars. I just don't.

BTW, I could have posted a "butthurt" like pic but with the "FAIL" theme on it right after the word comedian but I didn't. I'm here to learn a lot more about mountain biking and get more people into the sport. There's just no need for childish attacking. Be funny but sometimes, before you hit that send button, if you think, sometimes you can go back and reword it to be nicer, or just click off the post and it's gone. I'm learning to do that a lot on this forum. It's better just to click the window out and go read another one. Which is what I'd like you and your hate buddy to do. I'm posted the thread to get help from other riders who have experienced Sedona and could tell me a lot more about it and where the best place is to ride, and stay. I now know thanks to some that commented, as of April, it's too late to go. I also know that late Sept/October is a great time. That's what I'm discussing with my buddy now. But please, knock it off. I want good info from those who can help me, not attack me. Okay? Thanks.

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Okay, I wanted to stick to the subject but I feel I need to respond to the "Gordita Crunch."

Enough said.
OK, that may have been a bit over the top. You seem like a nice enough guy and probably didn't deserve that.

I will try to be more helpful. The best info on Sedona that I know of is on MTBR.

1) Go to the advanced search.
2) Use keyword Sedona
3) Right below the keyword box is a drop down box. Select Search titles only
4)There is a box on the right hand part of the screen that says "search in forums". Select Arizona
5) hit search

It will return 200 results, all of them threads on the subject of Sedona. There are maps, ride descriptions, gps maps. It really does have everything you would want to know. BTW, using the advanced search here works much better too. Just remember to search in the thread title.

Youtube has 100's of videos from Sedona. Lots of them have trail names.

Lastly google does have descent info. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sedona+mountian+biking Usually people use lmgtfy to be a dick. That is not my intention. I do still sincerely hope you have a nice vacation. :thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Bikes in hotel rooms:

I've always just walked mine right through the lobby and onto the main elevator. I do lift the rear end though when walking the bike because the Hope rear hub makes such a damn racket.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
As to rattle snakes, I know they can lunge half their body length and make sound. But coiled up, how do I know how long he is? What I'm worried about is coming up on one right along the side of the trail, riding fast by it, hearing the sound start five feet from it at the last second and being past it by the time I hear it and having a bite on my ankle. Thus my concern. That and mountain lions, bears and all the dangerous stuff people ride out west mention that can kill you. I want to go riding, not enter the food chain. :shocked:
if you see a snake do not stop, do not slow down, keep going. they cant keep up with a bike and dont want to.

instead of AZ in the summer i reccomend tahoe. tahoe has TONS of riding, from DH to XC it has everything.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
done Moab in June twice...it is damn hot but doable....as long as you aren't a dumbass & ride early, spend the hot parts of the day in the La Sals or a bar or a pool. It is miserable though when you are sweating your balls off & there is NO shade.
march is nice in the desert.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
As to rattle snakes, I know they can lunge half their body length and make sound. But coiled up, how do I know how long he is?
You don't. Thats why you stay the fvck away.

What I'm worried about is coming up on one right along the side of the trail, riding fast by it, hearing the sound start five feet from it at the last second and being past it by the time I hear it and having a bite on my ankle. Thus my concern. That and mountain lions, bears and all the dangerous stuff people ride out west mention that can kill you. I want to go riding, not enter the food chain. :shocked:
You rides your bike you takes your chances. If your on established trails the snakes have probably learned to stay away. Just don't fart around out in the boones and make sure you get a good look around/under any rock or log you might feel the need to sit on.

My little bro once nailed a rattler stretched out across the road on his bike when we were kids. We didn't see it until he hit it. It never got a chance to strike but it was good and fvcked off when we went back to look. We gave it a wide berth.

Last edited: