Quantcast

Need help...my crank arm bolt keeps coming loose

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
it's the begining of the end my friend. it will continue to happen and just get worse over time. They got loose once and it enlarged the hole. ride em for as long as you can, but i'm afraid they're toast.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
a drop of blue loctite on the crank bolt will keep the bolt from moving, but yes, the interface is toast. replace when necessary.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
#@(&$^#@$^(&#@$^ I just got those cranks....FSA POWER PRO SUCCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't even BEGUN to do trials stuff on them. I've just been riding around town and taking 4 stairstep drops! THIS SUCKS.....45 bucks down the drain. DAMNDAMN DAMNDAMN>

SUCK ASS!!!!!!!!

G

gravity

im not sure if they're screwed yet, if you haven't done anything particularly harsh to them while they're loose they shouldn't be too damaged. try putting them on more firmly by pressing the opposite side of the BB to which you are putting the crank on up against a post or anything solid to give it a solid backing, then bash the crank arm onto the BB as hard as you can with a rubber mallet. trust me, if this doesnt get it on tight, nothing will. this method has never failed for me. and obviously after you have bashed the crank arm on, tighten the locknut up as tight as you can. yes, grease it, it stops the creaking sound, but make sure the tapers and crank hole things are clean from dust/grime etc.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
its not sure your cranks are dead yet but if you continue to ride them with the same bb you will most probably end up ruining them both,
try and find out whats the culprit, the bb or the cranks or maybe theyre not working together.
but remember each time they loosen is one step closer to the "dead parts bin"

v

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by Dog Welder
#@(&$^#@$^(&#@$^ I just got those cranks....FSA POWER PRO SUCCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't even BEGUN to do trials stuff on them. I've just been riding around town and taking 4 stairstep drops! THIS SUCKS.....45 bucks down the drain. DAMNDAMN DAMNDAMN>

SUCK ASS!!!!!!!!
Unfortunatly cheap cranks are just that sometimes, The Alum is probably just deforming around the BB spindle, maybe it will stop maybe it won't (the crank sliding further onto the BB)? Maybe they wern't heat treated correctly, you could alwasy try and warrenty them?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock

SUCK ASS!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately DW, the installation of them is what probably sucked - not the cranks themselves. Generally this problem crops up from not torqueing the crank bolts properly. I second the recommendation for blue Loctite.

All hope may not be lost, if you haven't put a lot of miles on them, they may not be permenently damaged. But, if they've loosened a couple of times already, they may be done.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Dude,

Just call up FSA and tell them what is going on. I'm sure they can help.

I've greased it and tightened it but after a while it keeps coming loose. Its on my trials bike, FSA Power Pro cranks.

Spike

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
I got the exact same problem. :angryfire I am running '99 Race Face LP's on a LX bb. I have tried every single color there is of Loktite and it works for a while. I also trued banging the juices out the cranks and BB but that was only a temporary fix. What should I do? Is it time to save up for a new cranks/bb? I'm thinking Azonic 454 or Kona Bulge. Any other cheap suggestions(Truvativ?).

Thanks,
~Spike

Spike

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
The cranks/bb are going on a '99 Stab Deluxe where weight is not a consideration. It weighs 57lbs now so.......... :D

~Spike

I'll try to get a pic or two up soon! :)

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
Azonic 454s if you're going BMX style. Good cranks (took me a month to get em set up proper, but they're magic now). Whole different ball game when compared to the standard MTB offerings (even Hussefelts or the like). Much stiffer, much cooler, much stronger. I would venture to call them unbreakable (under a 150lb rider like me anyway)

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I've used the same FSA cranks on my trials bike with the same result. That was the last time I used FSA.